Windows 10: Sticky Notes upgrade - cannot access C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

Discus and support Sticky Notes upgrade - cannot access C:\Program Files\WindowsApps in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, Following the windows 10 upgrade, sticky notes was also upgraded to verson 3.0.118.0 however we are having a slight issue. Anyone who starts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dgoodwin, Oct 9, 2018.

1. dgoodwin Win User

Sticky Notes upgrade - cannot access C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

Hi guys,

Following the windows 10 upgrade, sticky notes was also upgraded to verson 3.0.118.0 however we are having a slight issue.

Anyone who starts up or searching within the sticky notes app gets the error that is attached. This is for domain users and for domain admins. It looks like the only users who are able to access this path are local users and admins, not users on the domain. And the owner is set to trusted installer.

When you click OK, the error does go away, but it pops up after every restart.

Does anyone know how to overcome this and prevent users getting this error please?

Thanks,
    Dan

:)

dgoodwin, Oct 9, 2018
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Retrieve and Install Sticky Notes via PowerShell

Hi Matty,

Reinstalling an application via PowerShell needs an administrator access to continue. If you have administrator access, you can follow the steps below to install Sticky Notes using PowerShell:

• Open PowerShell with admin rights. To do so, type Windows
      PowerShell in the search box to see PowerShell in results, right-click on PowerShell, and then click
      Run as administrator option.
    • In the PowerShell prompt, type the following command and press the Enter key:

Get-Appxpackage –Allusers

Scroll down and locate the entry of the app that you want to reinstall and copy the package name. Since you are looking for the Sticky Notes app, locate the Sticky Notes entry, and then copy the package name of Sticky Notes.
    • Now, you will need to execute the following command to add the app:

Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PackageFullName\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

Replace PackageFullName term in the above command with the copied PackageFullName information from step 2.

If you do not have an administrator access to your computer, we suggest that you contact your IT admin to be able to install Sticky Notes via PowerShell.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Oct 9, 2018
  3. sticky notes

Was this the WIndows 10 Upgrade from WIndows 7, 8 or 8.1?

Check now for a C:\Windows.old folder that is created during an Upgrade. If that folder is found, you can

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows 10
    and then follow the steps here:

• To backup sticky notes in Windows 10/8.1/8/7:
    STEP 1. Type %AppData%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes in the windows.old folder Search box.

STEP 2. Copy StickyNotes.snt to a safe location.

• To restore sticky notes:
    STEP 1. Type %AppData%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes in start menu search box or run and press Enter.

STEP 2. Copy the StickyNotes.snt file from your backup folder and paste it in the folder that opens. Agree to overwrite the old file, or delete it first before copying. If it balks then install and use the

Take Ownership Shortcut
    on the folder so you can replace the .snt file.

If you don't have Windows.old folder, do you have a backup image of your old install which we can help you mount to browse into the old files?

If not then your notes may be lost. In the future use Notepad or Wordpad which can more easily save Files to your Documents, or back up the Sticky Notes file regularly following the above.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 9, 2018
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Getting full access to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

Hey x509,
    IIRC ... it's not actually a corrupt entry, but a special permission/condition (Exists:WIN://SYSAPPID) for Users(Pc-Name\Users) and shouldn't be removed. If you must change permissions on the WindowsApps folder and/or sub folders/files .... I suggest you get familiar with ICACLS first and save the current WindowsApps Folder / Sub Folders / File permissions to a acl.txt file, so you can restore them in case you break something (which is very likely when messing with permissions)

ICACLS - iCacls - Modify Access Control List - Windows CMD - SS64.com

Eagle51, Oct 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Sticky Notes upgrade - cannot access C:\Program Files\WindowsApps - Similar Threads - Sticky Notes upgrade

2. Sticky Notes Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sticky Notes Upgrade: How can I roll back Sticky Notes to the previous version? I only use Sticky Notes for my own use on my computer. I do not need to sync it with any other device. My notes are for my own use. Also, I understand the TOS to allow the company Micsrosoft to see my content?...
  3. How to access sticky notes after upgrading to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to access sticky notes after upgrading to Windows 10?: I just upgraded to Windows 10. Among the many functions missing in this version are all my sticky notes. How do I access my sticky notes now? I have about ten going, and they're nowhere to be found....
  4. Sticky Note

Sticky Note: Hi! After Windows update I can't open Sticky Note App. It shows that i'ts loading, but then disapear. I have there infomation that i really need and i understand that I can't use App reset option....
  5. Sticky Notes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sticky Notes: Hi! I have Windows 10. How do I turn off the hyperlinks on my Sticky Notes? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sticky-notes/651eb2ef-de96-4508-8bcc-5e7df8412514
  6. sticky notes

sticky notes: Recently IT reconfigured my computer to Windows 10 update. They reinstalled all my files, including my Sticky Notes. However, my Sticky Notes now keep vanishing. I read some online things about how to find the backups but it appears that I don't even have the Sticky Notes app...
  7. Cannot highlight and copy in Sticky Notes

Cannot highlight and copy in Sticky Notes: I can't highlite and copy on stickynotes. Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1809 (build 18305.1003) new StickyNotes is very useful. I thank designers. 124151
  8. Cannot login to Sticky Note App

Cannot login to Sticky Note App: Hi, After the Sticky Note App was updated and required me to log in, I cannot use the App anymore. The Login page when I open the Sticky Note App is not responsive. The Login Page shows my email account and when I left click on the box, nothing happened. No matter how many...
  9. Omni-access to your Sticky Notes!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Omni-access to your Sticky Notes!!: One can access their Sticky Notes anytime on the web via https://www.onenote.com/stickynotes Personally, I think this is pretty cool & some may find it quite useful or oft used. Meaning, even if not on the device where the notes are (originally) 'posted'. Cheers, Drew...
  10. Sticky Notes upgrade - cannot access C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

Sticky Notes upgrade - cannot access C:\Program Files\WindowsApps: Hi guys, Following the windows 10 upgrade, sticky notes was also upgraded to verson 3.0.118.0 however we are having a slight issue. Anyone who starts up or searching within the sticky notes app gets the error that is attached. This is for domain users and for domain admins....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows sticky notes cannot access the file

2. cannot access c:\program files

3. where is sticky notes in the program files

4. access to stickyn notes online file