Windows 10: Still cannot upgrade to 1803 - Can no longer net stop wuauserv, even with elevated command...

Discus and support Still cannot upgrade to 1803 - Can no longer net stop wuauserv, even with elevated command... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been dealing with this problem for almost a year now. It generally quits the update and restarts around 72-75%, often before 75 lately. I've had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MM31183, Apr 16, 2019.

1. MM31183 Win User

Still cannot upgrade to 1803 - Can no longer net stop wuauserv, even with elevated command...

I've been dealing with this problem for almost a year now. It generally quits the update and restarts around 72-75%, often before 75 lately. I've had to stave off upgrades while I look for a solution because the upgrades simply will not take.

From the top of my head, I have tried:

The troubleshooter

ISO file

Upgrade in place

Fresh Start

Several others I cannot recall, but I'll let you know as they're suggested.

I will try to update again, and add the logs to see if there's anything you can find, thank you.

:)

MM31183, Apr 16, 2019

2. Command: net stop wuauserv says service is starting or stopping

Hi ! I had some issues with windows update so I looked up some solutions and the one with running commands in cmd is only one but when I run the command: net stop wuauserv , it says the service is starting or stopping and same case is with command : net
    start wuauserv.

I have also tried the troubleshooter and trying to start the service from the list of services but the start stop are disabled and it shows as Stopping.

Please Help !

AfnanAhmad06, Apr 16, 2019
  3. Command: net stop wuauserv says service is starting or stopping

Hi Ahmad,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue. Let me assist you fix the issue.

Please share this information to assist you better.

• Are you facing any issues with Windows update?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Which build is currently installed in your computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    Try these steps manually toreset the Windows Updates Components once again and then
    reinitiate the Windows Update process.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates quickly.

Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer
    and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and
    Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the
    Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the
    ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the
    Command Prompt
    to close it and then restart the computer.

6.After restarting the computer, now retry to install Windows Updates.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Thank you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Apr 16, 2019
  4. Still cannot upgrade to 1803 - Can no longer net stop wuauserv, even with elevated command...

Command: net stop wuauserv says service is starting or stopping

Thanku !

the net stop wuauserv command was not working before but this time it worked.

AfnanAhmad06, Apr 16, 2019
Thema:

Still cannot upgrade to 1803 - Can no longer net stop wuauserv, even with elevated command...

1. Still cannot upgrade to 1803 - Can no longer net stop wuauserv, even with elevated command... - Similar Threads - Still cannot upgrade

2. Cannot upgrade from 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot upgrade from 1803: Hi Everyone, I'm profoundly annoyed by anything related to upgrading. I wish I could just use my computer and not be constantly worried by the OS sniffing in the background. That's why I used Sledgehammer on my laptop as soon as I fired it the first time. Now I'm stuck...
  3. elevated admin command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    elevated admin command prompt: where is the dictionary and/or the appendix for the language to use in the elevated admin command prompt??? I would prefer to simply ask my friends in redmond at the garage to imput the needed code/txt so that my thumbs dont go numb...lolol...
  4. net stop wuauserv System Error 5

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    net stop wuauserv System Error 5: Im trying to execute "net stop wuauserv" but it appears: System error 5 has ocurred. Access is denied. Im using Windows Powershell Admin and honestly i don't know what is going on. I hope this could be solved ASAP :...
  5. Upgrade 1803 -> 1809 Failed & No Longer Available

Upgrade 1803 -> 1809 Failed & No Longer Available: Hello I'm looking for a bit of help. I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 however the installation keeps failing. Current version is 1803 and trying to go to 1809. When the install reaches 42% the PC locks up and I have to restart, causing it to roll back to 1803. After a...
  6. Cannot Image with 1803, Can image with 1709 and upgrade to 1803 fine?

Cannot Image with 1803, Can image with 1709 and upgrade to 1803 fine?: I have run into a strange issue with Dell Precision T3500 workstations where if I try to install Windows 10 Build 1803, the system will image. however right after logging in the PC will lock up (keyboard and mouse completely dead). If I image the PC with windows 10 Build...
  7. Can I stop the 1803 upgrade with win 10 home?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I stop the 1803 upgrade with win 10 home?: Hello, I was referred here by some wonderful folks on the sonar forums. I am hoping to just do my work and stop worrying about my pc and windows updates. I have win 10 home, it is a brand new Dell XP (or something like that) I just got in Jan. Will this answer work from...
  8. Stop Win 10 Updates From the CMD Line Re: net stop wuauserv

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stop Win 10 Updates From the CMD Line Re: net stop wuauserv: Win 10 Pro machine off for a few days. I have delayed the Fall update for 365 days as of 12/17 though I will eventually get around to installing it. I believe I know that the Meltdown/ Spectre update is non negotiable. With win 7 it was easy to disable all updates. While not...
  9. Can you open Elevated Command Prompt from Command Prompt?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you open Elevated Command Prompt from Command Prompt?: I have read everything I can find on Error messages regarding looping of Preparing to Repair. I can not open my computer to Windows...it never loads. I started experiencing problems a while ago. Finally, I would be able to get on line, but only for about a minute before it...
  10. Net Command

in Windows 10 Support
    Net Command: Hi everyone, Every time I turn my laptop on a message appears that says "NET COMMAND" Do you want this app to make changes to your pc. It has only started doing it in the last week. Any help to stop it would be appreciated. 47554