Windows 10: Still showing old account after a clean install of Windows 10

Discus and support Still showing old account after a clean install of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently reinstalled Windows 10 using a media creation tool from a usb. It didn’ succeed until several tries - always got stucked somewhere in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sunnycat000, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Still showing old account after a clean install of Windows 10

I recently reinstalled Windows 10 using a media creation tool from a usb. It didn’ succeed until several tries - always got stucked somewhere in the middle. When it finally finished, I was brought to this log in screen with all blue background and the previous account name with its picture and asked for password. I tried with my previous password and it didn’t work. I have no option to switch user.

All things showing on the screen are:

left bottom corner: ease of access, connect to internet

middle:account picture, account name, password box, submit button

right bottom corner: language/input, power button

It cannot find any wifi connection as well, showing no connections are available.

How come it still shows my old account after a clean installation? I formatted and partition the disk during the installation. Also the language/input is still showing previous settings as well.

:)

sunnycat000, Dec 17, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Dec 17, 2020
  3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Dec 17, 2020
  4. Still showing old account after a clean install of Windows 10

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

Still showing old account after a clean install of Windows 10

1. Still showing old account after a clean install of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Still showing old

2. How do I restore my old account after a clean installation of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I restore my old account after a clean installation of Windows 10?: The image of windows on my pc went bad Error code: 0x80703f1, so I made a backup scan onto an external hard drive before doing a clean installation of windows, which went swimmingly. The new image works great; however, I ran into a bit of a wall when trying to retrieve my...
  3. How do I restore my old account after a clean installation of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I restore my old account after a clean installation of Windows 10?: The image of windows on my pc went bad Error code: 0x80703f1, so I made a backup scan onto an external hard drive before doing a clean installation of windows, which went swimmingly. The new image works great; however, I ran into a bit of a wall when trying to retrieve my...
  4. How do I restore my old account after a clean installation of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows: After preforming a clean install of Windows 11.I received a Blue Screen of Death with a Stop code of KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. This occurred within minutes of the clean install completing and sitting at the desktop screen....
  6. BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD still happen after clean install of Windows: After preforming a clean install of Windows 11.I received a Blue Screen of Death with a Stop code of KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. This occurred within minutes of the clean install completing and sitting at the desktop screen....
  7. Windows 10 Clean Install still applying old account unknown S-1-5-21-********** permissions...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Clean Install still applying old account unknown S-1-5-21-********** permissions...: Any help would be appreciated with this. I have also mailed a letter to Microsoft Corporate offices in WA attn: Complaint Department. Really do not know what else to do. Ignoring the Account Unknown is not a valid solution in my case, and does not solve the actual problem,...
  8. Windows 10 still freezing even after clean installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 still freezing even after clean installation: I have a Asus Vivobook X510UF laptop. I have below configurations - Windos 10 Home Single Language Version 1909, OS Build 18363.836 Core i5 8th Generation @1.6GHz 12 GB RAM 16 GB Optane Module 1 TB HDD The laptop was working fine, smooth, and fast until last month. It...
  9. Will Windows 7 still boot after Windows 10 clean install?

Will Windows 7 still boot after Windows 10 clean install?: I have a Dell laptop which came with an OEM version of Windows 7 installed. the laptop BIOS is in Legacy mode and HDD is type MBR. I have clean installed a trial version of Windows 10 on a separate HDDalso type MBR doing so by swapping out the Win 7 HDD using the same laptop....
  10. Boot error after clean install to SSD, old HDD still attached

Boot error after clean install to SSD, old HDD still attached: Hi guys, i yesterday encountere a small problem. Inserted my new SSD to a SATA3 port and, next to my HDD 1TB, and went for a clean install right away. The system installed without problems (wiht the old HDD still attached), then i booted up the system (was a bit weird,...