Windows 10: STL file support in Paint 3D: ASCII versus binary format

Discus and support STL file support in Paint 3D: ASCII versus binary format in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a variety of binary-format STL files that can be quickly opened with each of the following: Microsoft Paint 3D version 6.1907.18017.0;... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by D.I.V., Mar 25, 2020.

1. D.I.V. Win User

STL file support in Paint 3D: ASCII versus binary format

I have a variety of binary-format STL files that can be quickly opened with each of the following:

• Microsoft Paint 3D version 6.1907.18017.0;
    • Microsoft 3D Viewer version 7.1908.9012.0;
    • Microsoft 3D Builder version 18.0.1931.0; and
    • Microsoft Print 3D version 3.3.791.0.
    However, when the exact same geometry is represented in ASCII-format STL files, theycannot be take ages to be opened by Paint 3D.

They can still be opened by each of the other three applications 3D Viewer,3D Builder, and Print 3D within a sensible amount of time.

The operating system is Microsoft Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64 bit. The computer is a very powerful workstation, and the files — which are not huge — are stored on a local-network drive.

As an example, for one STL in binary format ~1 MB in size Paint 3D takes less than one second to open it, but with the identical geometry inASCII format ~4 MB in size it takes almost three minutes 2 minutes and 45 seconds.

In contrast 3D Viewer and Print 3D each take about 3–4 seconds to launch and load either format, while 3D Builder takes about2–3 seconds to launch and load either format. In other words, the time they take shows no apparent dependence upon whether the STL file contents are saved in binary or ASCII format.

Is this a bug in Paint 3D? Why is it so much slower than the other three Microsoft applications when it comes to STL files in ASCII format??

—DIV

:)

D.I.V., Mar 25, 2020
  2. Thanatica Win User

Paint 3D cannot open STL files

Please update Paint 3D to be able to open STL files. View 3D *can* open them just fine.

When I open them in View 3D, and click the "Paint 3D" button, it gives this error message:

"We couldn't open Paint 3D. Wait a bit, then try again."

I did, and it keeps failing. So then, I manually go to Paint 3D, and open the file from there. In order to do that, I have to enter "*.*" as the filename, otherwise it won't pop up. The file types dropdown doesn't list STL files. But that's for good reason,
    apparently, because Paint 3D says:

"Paint 3D can't read this file. It may be invalid, or in a format that we don't currently support."

So, recap:

1) The file is completely valid, because View 3D can open it just fine

2) Why can Paint 3D not open a file, while View 3D can?

3) Please add this functionality to paint 3D. It's an industry standard file type for 3D models.

This is on Windows 10.0.15063.

Thanatica, Mar 25, 2020
  3. Arjay Dom Win User
    Importing Files in Paint 3D

Hi,

To better assist you, we'd like to know some information:

• What is the Windows build and version of your computer?
    • Can you send us a picture or list of available file types in Paint 3D?
    • We're you able to import an .stl file in Paint 3D before?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Arjay Dom, Mar 25, 2020
  4. u00drk1 Win User

Importing Files in Paint 3D

Hello, I have a question about importing files in Paint 3D.

It says that it supports "STL" files. I've downloaded multiple STL files and tried opening them up in Paint 3D and nothing is working. Am I missing something?

I've tried many different ways as well. When I right click one of the STL files and go to "open with", Paint 3D isn't there. There is a "view 3D" option, and when I click that I can see the model, but its just for viewing. Then in the top right corner there
    is a "Paint 3D" button that when I hover over it, it says "edit in Paint 3D" but when I click that, it says "We couldn't open Paint 3D, wait a bit then try again".

Then when I just open a new Paint 3D project, when I hit open, and browse where the STL files are located, the folders are empty. Even though the file type drop down menu has "All files" selected.

There was even a "Paste" option that's there on the "welcome" screen. I tried coping the file and pasting it and it said "Couldn't paste this, try again later".

How do you Import files!?

u00drk1, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

1. STL file support in Paint 3D: ASCII versus binary format - Similar Threads - STL file support

2. No such interface supported - Paint 3D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No such interface supported - Paint 3D: Hello,I have updated my Windows from 10 to 11, and now I'm experiencing the following problem.I want to edit a photo in a folder, and when I do it's keep getting me this error "No such interface supported".If I want to edit it on my desktop there is no problem. But if it is...
  3. No such interface supported - Paint 3D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No such interface supported - Paint 3D: Hello,I have updated my Windows from 10 to 11, and now I'm experiencing the following problem.I want to edit a photo in a folder, and when I do it's keep getting me this error "No such interface supported".If I want to edit it on my desktop there is no problem. But if it is...
  4. 3D paint files

3D paint files: Hello all. I was wondering if anyone might be able to advise me. I am still using Windows 10 and I love using 3D paint as it is a great tool if you're into making game development art. I had several projects with MS 3D Paint. I never could locate my project files in fie...
  5. 3D paint files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3D paint files: Hello all. I was wondering if anyone might be able to advise me. I am still using Windows 10 and I love using 3D paint as it is a great tool if you're into making game development art. I had several projects with MS 3D Paint. I never could locate my project files in fie...
  6. 3D paint files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. i exported a blender file into an stl file, however the stl file won't open in the 3d...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i exported a blender file into an stl file, however the stl file won't open in the 3d...: there simply isn't an error message, it crashes after trying to generate supports. viewer won't open the file and says " couldn't load 3d model. try again later" i can't link the stl file here, i don't know how....
  8. i exported a blender file into an stl file, however the stl file won't open in the 3d...

i exported a blender file into an stl file, however the stl file won't open in the 3d...: there simply isn't an error message, it crashes after trying to generate supports. viewer won't open the file and says " couldn't load 3d model. try again later" i can't link the stl file here, i don't know how....
  9. i exported a blender file into an stl file, however the stl file won't open in the 3d...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Does paint & 3d paint support CMYK?

Does paint & 3d paint support CMYK?: Do the apps paint & 3d paint support CMYK? FYI I have an asus that is a few years old, it has hd intel r graphics card with the apps paint & paint 3d. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-paint-3d-paint-support-cmyk/5e40b1a7-8d35-46c3-a67d-31d2306e7afc