Windows 10: Stolen Computer! Need help with lock my device!

Discus and support Stolen Computer! Need help with lock my device! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Recently my surface pro 6 was stolen and my only access to it has been on my account login. I've tried locking the device at least 5-10 times a day... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by pbrown021891, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Stolen Computer! Need help with lock my device!

Recently my surface pro 6 was stolen and my only access to it has been on my account login. I've tried locking the device at least 5-10 times a day and each and every time I get a message that reads, "Unable to lock your device at this time. We will email you when we are able to do so." I do have a face recognition and pin lock but still wanted to remotely lock the device.

Finally 2 nights ago, the culprit had turned my computer on and I saw its location. The sheriff department then went to the address but unfortunately the tracking system only puts you in a radius of where the device is actually located and it was not found.

After being transferred 6 times on the phone and 1 dropped call, I have been told I am out of luck and there is no way to lock my computer from Microsoft supports end. My question is, what is the point of the lock my device feature? How is this even possible????

Then it was suggested for me to cancel my account on that computer.....so then someone can just reboot and enjoy my old computer?

Microsoft, what in the world?

Sorry, but just needed to vent :/

:)

pbrown021891, Jun 17, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

stolen computer and locking out

Hi 3bob, I am sorry your device was stolen . . .

Honestly, a PIN or Password will not protect your data on that PC, those are easily bypassed in less than 5 minutes.

The good thing is people that steal laptops, do to sell them on and will wipe that as soon as they can

There is a service in Windows 10 - Find My PC, using that you can locate your stolen device and even lock it, so the person who stole it cannot access it

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/11579/...

DaveM121, Jun 17, 2019
  3. Networking for a stolen device

Hello,

Windows 10 allows users to quickly find other computers or devices sharing the same network. For us to verify if the old PC is still connected to your network, follow these steps:

• Using Windows Search, type and choose File Explorer.
    • Click Network on your navigation pane along the folder's left edge. It will provide you with the list of computers using the same network.
    • Check to see if you can locate the stolen PC's name.

Make sure that you reach out to the computer manufacturer to validate if they can track your old device's system information. After doing so, you may file a report to the police so they can conduct further investigation regarding this incident.

Let us know if you need more help about this query.

Dhavelyn Mer, Jun 17, 2019
  4. Stolen Computer! Need help with lock my device!

Pre-Owned computer issues

thank you for the suggestion but... It's not stolen but the school no longer exists and the computer is nice enough to keep. Please help if you can

DaddyDoubleA, Jun 17, 2019
Thema:

Stolen Computer! Need help with lock my device!

1. Stolen Computer! Need help with lock my device! - Similar Threads - Stolen Computer Need

2. Lock a Stolen Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock a Stolen Device: My laptop was stolen and I am unable to lock the device remotely. If I try the "Find my Device" it shows the battery is 0% and I get the following message : We can’t locate this device since it hasn’t been used in the past 30 days.. Then when I try the "Lock" function I get...
  3. Lock a Stolen Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock a Stolen Device: My laptop was stolen and I am unable to lock the device remotely. If I try the "Find my Device" it shows the battery is 0% and I get the following message : We can’t locate this device since it hasn’t been used in the past 30 days.. Then when I try the "Lock" function I get...
  4. Find my device - stolen computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find my device - stolen computer: HiMy computer has been stolen... Using Find my device does not help... logging in it says updated 5 days earlier - can I change so it is updated daily on my new computer?Is there any way I will have success locating a stolen computer?Perhaps I am in the wrong community, then...
  5. Find my device - stolen computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Find my device - stolen computer: HiMy computer has been stolen... Using Find my device does not help... logging in it says updated 5 days earlier - can I change so it is updated daily on my new computer?Is there any way I will have success locating a stolen computer?Perhaps I am in the wrong community, then...
  6. Find my device - stolen computer

7. I need to lock my stolen device or wipe the data completely

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I need to lock my stolen device or wipe the data completely: My laptop was stolen yesterday. I have been trying since then to lock my device or wipe out the data. But couldn't do it because my find my device option was disabled. What should i do now? There were my personal data and sensitive work documents available in the laptop. It's...
  8. I need to lock my stolen device or wipe the data completely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to lock my stolen device or wipe the data completely: My laptop was stolen yesterday. I have been trying since then to lock my device or wipe out the data. But couldn't do it because my find my device option was disabled. What should i do now? There were my personal data and sensitive work documents available in the laptop. It's...
  9. I need to lock my stolen device or wipe the data completely

10. stolen computer and locking out

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    stolen computer and locking out: If a computer with the latest update of Windows 10 is stolen, how safe is the information on it if, the computer a. requires a pin code to open? b.Microsoft account password is changed after the event? Does 'b' prevent Windows from opening? Also, what happens if I remove...