Windows 10: Stop a single HDD from going to sleep

Discus and support Stop a single HDD from going to sleep in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Greetings I am wondering if it is possible to prevent a single spinning drive from going to sleep, rather than having a global 'never sleep' settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/The_Wkwied, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Stop a single HDD from going to sleep

Greetings

I am wondering if it is possible to prevent a single spinning drive from going to sleep, rather than having a global 'never sleep' settings on all drives.

I am aware of the powercfg.cpl that lets you specify when all of the drives go to sleep, but there isn't an option there to limit that to specific drives. I have one drive that I have to access semi-often, but not often enough that I can justify it spinning up over and over.

submitted by /u/The_Wkwied
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/The_Wkwied, Nov 26, 2019
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

iTunes stops playing when the computer go to sleep

Hi Ross,

Sleep mode is designed to stop all actions on a computer as it puts the device to a low-power state. Since you want to continue using a program even while your computer is locked, we suggest turning off Sleep mode by following these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Click System.
    • Choose Power & Sleep from the left pane.
    • Under Sleep, choose Never.

Stop a single HDD from going to sleep a56ef514-cf53-4631-8917-a239182dc84a.png

Let us know if you have any other concerns about your computer.

Yolvi Ell, Nov 26, 2019
  3. Computer stopped going into sleep mode

Hello, Kiran.

My computer is up to date and I didn't change any settings prior or after the update

I tried step one, but I haven't wait the time required for the computer to go into sleep mode. I did change the 30 minute wait to 10 minutes. So, I'll wait and see what happens

Yan Carlos Cruz, Nov 26, 2019
  4. Stop a single HDD from going to sleep

Computer stopped going into sleep mode

Hi Yan,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Have you made any changes to the software/hardware in the computer after upgrading to the Windows 10?

• Did you change any power settings in the computer prior to the issue?

• Is your computer up to date?
    Until you reply to us, you may follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Step 1:

• Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard to open Run command.

• Type powercfg.cpl to open the power settings.

• Select your current plan and click on Change plan settings,

• Change the Put the computer to sleep to
      5/10 minutes (Any other time you wish)
    If the issue still persist, follow the below step.

Step 2:

• Click on Change plan settings beside your current plan.

• Click on Restore default setting for this plan and click on
      OK if prompted.
    If the issue persist, follow the below method.

Method 2:

Create the new power plan and check if it helps.

• Click on Create a power plan on the left navigation pane.

• Enter your new power plan name in the Plan name text box and click on
      Next.

• Follow the below instructions and check if it helps.
    After creating power plan, try to set the sleep timer as suggested in the step 1 in the 1st Method.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Nov 26, 2019
Thema:

Stop a single HDD from going to sleep

1. Stop a single HDD from going to sleep - Similar Threads - Stop single HDD

2. PC Stops Going To Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC Stops Going To Sleep: Hi, my W10 desktop PC seems to be stopping going to sleep when I leave it for a while. If I look at Event Viewer there are repeated errors of "The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver." This seems to be happening roughly every 30 minutes. Any help to...
  3. PC Stops Going To Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Stops Going To Sleep: Hi, my W10 desktop PC seems to be stopping going to sleep when I leave it for a while. If I look at Event Viewer there are repeated errors of "The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver." This seems to be happening roughly every 30 minutes. Any help to...
  4. PC Stops Going To Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. stop from going into sleep mode in 30 seconds

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    stop from going into sleep mode in 30 seconds: my computer goes into lockdown mode even when i sneeze........i am the only person in my home, i do NOT want the computer to go into this mode....... have tried reget, setting time parameters.......it still does it no matter what.......
  6. Going from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Going from hdd to ssd: Hello guys I want to install ssd and put the Windows on it while my hdd has tow partitions c partition which includes the windows and f has all my games and stuff so i want to use ssd as the system partition and remove the c while keeping the f so the question here is what is...
  7. USB external HDD keeps going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB external HDD keeps going to sleep: I have a ThinkPad X1 6 gen for specs Currently I have a USB external HDD that keeps going to sleep. When I go to power options, there is no options for usb power however looking online I see that there should be. I've tried running some CMD commands I found online to restore...
  8. How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?

How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?: I have four external hard disks connected to my laptop either directly or through a USB hub. I have searched the issue that I'm asking about, but I have not found a definitive answer. The most common solution appears to be to use a program to write a small file to each hard...
  9. External USB HDD going to sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External USB HDD going to sleep mode: I don't understand why Microsoft refuses to address this problem in Windows 10. It's an old problem and all the answers from Microsoft are vague and send us around things that people have already tried and it does not solve the problem. Just look at the blogs of the...
  10. HDD won't go to sleep

HDD won't go to sleep: I have recently upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 and I am experiencing a weird problem. My HDD setup is as follows: Samsung EVO 250GB M2 SSD - OS and apps Crucial MX100 512GB SATA SSD - Games Seagate ST2000 2TB SATA HDD - Media After configuring Windows...