Windows 10: Stop Acrobat from Updating/Back up Acrobat Preferences

Discus and support Stop Acrobat from Updating/Back up Acrobat Preferences in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Greetings, My wifey has a laptop that is set up to print with a giant HP printer. It's tricky to make it work properly, we got her program to work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by The Pool Man, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Stop Acrobat from Updating/Back up Acrobat Preferences

Greetings,

My wifey has a laptop that is set up to print with a giant HP printer. It's tricky to make it work properly, we got her program to work with Adobe Acrobat properly, and all has been just fine until SOMETHING updated and printing broke. It appears Acrobat is the culprit since it updated in the appropriate window.

I have restore points but not one far back enough to be helpful. So what we must do is hire the guy who set it up in the first place to do so again. THAT is not the problem. The problem is I never want to have to do this YET again after he leaves.

This leaves me with two scenarios --

DRASTIC OPTION is to buy a $150 cheapo PC laptop. It is set up to print properly and is NEVER connected to the internet. That is all this unit does. Wifey USB thumb drives her files from her REAL laptop to this one, puts the drive in, prints, walks away. If it can't update it can't change.

CHEAPER OPTION is to prevent Acrobat from ever updating on her real PC. Or have a simple way to back up that app's preferences so that if they change we throw them out and use the backup. Or both.

What do y'all recommend?

:)

The Pool Man, Feb 11, 2020

2. I want Adobe Acrobat Standard X to be my default not Reader

Hello,

Thank you for the update.

As per the description, Adobe Acrobat Standard X is not listed as a default app but it pops up listed as a "desktop app".

I suggest you to check the app in the Programs and features.
    To do so follow the below steps.

1. Press Windows + R, type appwiz.cpl

If the application is not present in the Programs & Features
    then Suggest you to download the app from the link.

choose the appropriate language under Acrobat X standard installer,
    and download.
    Acrobat download and installation help

Do let us know the update.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Feb 11, 2020
  3. Acrobat Reader DC keeps popping on screen

Hello,

As per the issue description, I understand that issue with Acrobat reader DC and its popping every time while working on computer. I will certainly help you to resolve the issue.

There might be a possibility that new security updates are constantly released for the Adobe Acrobat Reader software to provide increased functionality and to patch any security loopholes that might be present. Every time a new update has been downloaded
    and is ready to install, a notification will pop up to alert the user. There are instances where these can be annoying or intrusive; for example, while giving a business presentation with the aid of a PDF document. Disabling the Acrobat Reader pop-ups will
    prevent this type of interruption.

Method 1

I would suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

Step 1

Launch Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Step 2

Click "Edit" from the menu bar at the top of the Adobe Reader window and then click "Preferences" from the list of options displayed. Click the "Updater" category on the list of options displayed on the "Preferences" submenu

Step 3

Click the radio button next to "Do not download or install updates automatically" below the "Check for updates" section.

Step 4

Click "OK" and then click "Yes" when asked if you want to allow the changes. Acrobat Reader will no longer keep displaying pop-ups prompting you to install available updates.

Method 2

I would suggest you to scan your computer with Microsoft Safety scanner just to make sure that computer is free of all infections

You can scan your PC with Microsoft Safety Scanner to ensure your PC is not infected.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download - Windows security

Hope it helps, Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards

Kumar Ravi, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Stop Acrobat from Updating/Back up Acrobat Preferences

msctf.dll Making Acrobat to Crash

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have better clarity on the issue, answer the below-listed questions and get back to us.

1. Is your computer connected to any domain network?
    2. Since when are you facing this issue?
    3. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    4. What is the edition of Windows 10 that you have installed?
    5. Do you get any error message when Acrobat crashes?

Meanwhile, try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in
    Acrobat DC crashes intermittently
    on Windows and see if this helps.

For reference, you may also try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in
    Troubleshoot errors and freezes in Windows
    and see if this helps.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Shafeeq_Khan, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Stop Acrobat from Updating/Back up Acrobat Preferences

1. Stop Acrobat from Updating/Back up Acrobat Preferences - Similar Threads - Stop Acrobat Updating

2. Adopt acrobat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adopt acrobat: My adopt acrobat does not work. I tried to down load it again but it did not go through? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adopt-acrobat/4ed31864-685e-45ed-8765-0456e7a4c487
  3. Adopt acrobat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adopt acrobat: My adopt acrobat does not work. I tried to down load it again but it did not go through? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adopt-acrobat/4ed31864-685e-45ed-8765-0456e7a4c487
  4. Acrobat Reader.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Acrobat Reader.: Acrobat Reader is not working on my new Windows 11 laptop. I've installed and uninstalled the program at least 5 times and every time I want to open a PDF file, it hangs, then I have to restart the laptop to get out of it....
  5. Acrobat Reader.

Acrobat Reader.: Acrobat Reader is not working on my new Windows 11 laptop. I've installed and uninstalled the program at least 5 times and every time I want to open a PDF file, it hangs, then I have to restart the laptop to get out of it....
  6. Adobe Acrobat Pro stopped working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adobe Acrobat Pro stopped working: I have newly installed the Adobe Acrobat pro. And I have used it for one hour it works correctly. But after one hour I get an error message "adobe acrobat pro has stopped working"and"A problem caused the program to stopped working. Windows will close the program and notify...
  7. reverse back from acrobat

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    reverse back from acrobat: accidentally changed to acrobat reader from the windows 10 , I don't know how to explain it. but when I try to unzip a file it's in acrobat reader thingy. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reverse-back-from-acrobat/658300f8-1611-48ca-807b-e0c7ff91915a"
  8. Adobe Acrobat

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Adobe Acrobat: I received an update last night from Adobe Acrobat. The program now closes after about 30 seconds. After 2 hour on the phone today with Adobe they are saying the Admin user needs permissions form MS. Either MS needs to give permission to my account or to migrate my Admin...
  9. acrobat reader

acrobat reader: hi we renew our 365 service and now the documents scanned or snip tooled are no longer coming in a pdf form it's saying we don't have acrobat reader...
  10. Can't change default app from Acrobat Reader DC to Acrobat

Can't change default app from Acrobat Reader DC to Acrobat: I am trying to use the default programs app on the control pabel to set Acrobat 9.5 as the default viewer for pdf files. I also have Acrobat Reader DC installed. Neither program appears on the "set your default programs" screen so I changed it on the file associations screen....