Windows 10: stop annoying dialog about mcafee on startup/login

Discus and support stop annoying dialog about mcafee on startup/login in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Since the last program update to McAfee, every time I log in to my computer I get an annoying dialog box about "Windows cannot find 'C:\program... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by SlickRCBD, Sep 12, 2019.

1. SlickRCBD Win User

stop annoying dialog about mcafee on startup/login

Since the last program update to McAfee, every time I log in to my computer I get an annoying dialog box about "Windows cannot find 'C:\program files\WindowsApps\5A894077.McAfeeSecurity_1.4.3.0_x64_wa...\McAfeeSecurityStartup.exe'.

Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again."

stop annoying dialog about mcafee on startup/login 9930dbd9-5a38-49bd-bd17-3c49151f80b7?upload=true.png

I cannot locate where Windows is being told to look for this item.

It seems msconfig is depreciated for startup items, the thing it tells me to look at instead in task manager has no reference to a "McAfeeSecurityStartup.exe", There is no startup folder on the Start menu. I've downloaded the Systems Internals Suite and I cannot find any reference to a McAfeeSecurityStartup.exe in autoruns64.exe either when looking at the everything tab. I've looked both with my normal standard account and running autoruns64 as an administrator using my other (administrator) account's credentials.

I've also downloaded and run CCleaner.

Where else would I look to get rid of this annoying dialog? I'm about ready to uninstall McAfee, since the subscription expires next month anyways and I'm thinking of switching to Avast like I have on my other, older computers. McAfee came with a free one year subscription with the computer.

:)

SlickRCBD, Sep 12, 2019

2. Problem autostart programs (McAfee at startup)

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the methods given below and check.

Method 1: Perform Clean Boot.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. Check this issue in clean boot state.

• Press Windows key + X key. And select Run.
    • Type msconfig in the Run box and hit Enter.
    • On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the
      Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click
      Disable all
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click
      Open Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click
      Disable.
    • Close Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click
      OK, and then restart the computer.
    Note: After clean boot troubleshooting step, follow the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

If issue still persists try method 2.

Method 2: I would you to uninstall and reinstall McAfee and check.

I would suggest you uninstall McAfee from your system.

If you have any issues uninstalling McAfee, download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal.

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

Once McAfee gets uninstalled from your system try to reinstall in Compatibility mode.

• Right click on the downloaded executable (.exe) file.

• Click onProperties and then select
      Compatibility tab.

• Tick mark the option
      Run this program in Compatibility mode for:
      and then select Windows 7
      (or any compatible OS version) from the drop down menu.

• Click OK and install the program.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If
    you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you

Ashish Sondhi, Sep 12, 2019
  3. Avedis53 Win User
    Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Sep 12, 2019
  4. stop annoying dialog about mcafee on startup/login

McAfee security

Read through this and it will show you step by step how to remove McAfee from your computer

PC Hell: How to Uninstall McAfee

hTconeM9user, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

stop annoying dialog about mcafee on startup/login

1. stop annoying dialog about mcafee on startup/login - Similar Threads - stop annoying dialog

2. Annoying startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Annoying startup: Hi,I was wondering how to disable this annoying startup questioning and suggestions see below. I have two reasons to not want it. The first and most important is that it blocks my computer from remote access after startup. I need to physically go to the computer and go...
  3. Annoying startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Annoying startup: Hi,I was wondering how to disable this annoying startup questioning and suggestions see below. I have two reasons to not want it. The first and most important is that it blocks my computer from remote access after startup. I need to physically go to the computer and go...
  4. OneDrive no login dialog.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive no login dialog.: Brand new Windows 11 install - logged into live - click on onedrive to login and nothing. No login window, I'm logged in to the live / outlook account. No onedrive login dialog. Any ideas how to display the OneDrive login dialog after clicking OneDrive SignIn?...
  5. OneDrive no login dialog.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive no login dialog.: Brand new Windows 11 install - logged into live - click on onedrive to login and nothing. No login window, I'm logged in to the live / outlook account. No onedrive login dialog. Any ideas how to display the OneDrive login dialog after clicking OneDrive SignIn?...
  6. Stop McAfee notifications

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Stop McAfee notifications: My daughters ultrabook has Windows 10 on it. She does not have McAfee installed. Yet recently she started getting lots of notifications from McAfee, about 5 or 6 a minute. She temporarily solved the problem by just turning off notifications, but I am hoping to fix the problem...
  7. Annoying McAfee files that can't be deleted.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Annoying McAfee files that can't be deleted.: [ATTACH] I have tried uninstalling the McAfee app itself, using RevoUninstaller and Ccleaner and it still won't allow me to delete it. Also tried changing administrator privilege but to no avail, any ideas? How can I remove this pesky Mcafee bullshit microsoft keeps...
  8. Anyway to stop the annoying startup message?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyway to stop the annoying startup message?: For the past few months I have been annoyed on all of my PC's by the occasional message on startup asking if I want to explore more features of windows - OneDrive and Office and such. The problem is that it just sits there until I respond BUT some of the PC's power up...
  9. How to stop McAfee annoying ads that begin 3 months before the subscription expires

How to stop McAfee annoying ads that begin 3 months before the subscription expires: I have already purchased a multiuser subscription. I have a new computer that came preinstalled with 6 months package. It is out of sync with the rest of my computers. No matter. No company should be allowed to use my computer for their personal use! I must accept risk...
  10. McAfee stop working

McAfee stop working: I'm having a problem with my antivirus protection i been trying to fix but when i ask for help , i'm asked if this is a windows 8 pc i don't answer because it is a windows 10 pc . I recently got a windows update and now my McAfee is not working or responding.....again this is...