Windows 10: Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop

Discus and support Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been having trouble ever since performing a factory reset of my computer with applications automatically wanting to use the Public Documents and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DrummerZack, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop

I've been having trouble ever since performing a factory reset of my computer with applications automatically wanting to use the Public Documents and Public Desktop folders. For example, after installing Adobe CC applications, the "Adobe" folder is added to 'C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\ ' instead of the preferred 'C:\Users\Zack\Documents'. Also, Adobe will automatically add shortcuts to 'C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop' instead of the preferred 'C:\Users\Zack\Desktop. This issue is present when installing any application, not just Adobe CC products. I have absolutely no use for the 'Public' folder, as I am the sole user of my PC, and don't plan on having multiple User Accounts. Is there a way to stop newly installed applications/programs from using the Public folder by default, and instead have programs use my User folder by default?

:)

DrummerZack, Nov 4, 2018

2. Public documents sharing

Hi Peter,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have sharing only public documents.

Move the files or folders that you want to share into the \Public folder.

The \Public folder is kind of a big cookie jar for everybody who uses your PC: Put a file or folder in the \Public folder so that all the other people who use your computer can get at it.

The \Public folder is available to other people in your HomeGroup, if you have one, but you have little control over who, specifically, can get at the files and folders. (HomeGroups make it easier to set up sharing among Windows computers on a network.)

Here’s how to move a file into one of the Public folders:

• Start File Explorer.

If you’re on the desktop, tap or click the icon down on the Taskbar that looks like a file folder. If you’re on the Start screen, click the tile for the desktop, then choose File Explorer.

• Navigate to the folder or file that you want to put in one of your Public folders. Right-click it (or tap and hold) and choose Copy.

Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop 394943.image0.jpg

• Here’s the tricky part. You want to navigate to the folder \Public\Music.

To do so, on the left, double-click or tap This PC then, near the bottom of the list, double-click on Local Disk (CStop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop :). Double-click on Users, then Public, then Public Music.

The Public folders are all hidden well away.

• Press Ctrl+V or right-click and choose Paste to paste the folder into the Public Music folder.

From that point, anybody who has access to my Public Music folder can play the songs on the album.
    Files and folders in the \Public folder may also be accessible to other computers connected to your network, workgroup, or domain, depending on various network settings.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Nov 4, 2018
  3. Public documents sharing

My question is how do other computers see it as homegroup window does not list public folders?

I know how to put files into public it is the next step that I am not understanding in setting up the network/computers etc to see the public folders.

I have spent a day trying to understand/working out how to do this it is not obvious as the homegroup page only shows library folders that I do not want to share.

So how do I get the homegroup to show public folders?

peterprewett, Nov 4, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop

Access to public documents

Hi Diane, where are you sharing these public documents from - is it the actual Public Documents Folder in C:\Public\Public Documents?

When you receive an update, does it block access to that folder?

DaveM121, Nov 4, 2018
Thema:

Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop

1. Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop - Similar Threads - Stop Applications Using

2. How to find a shortcut on the public desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to find a shortcut on the public desktop: Hello! Going through a major upgrade of one of our systems and we need to make sure that all PCs with a specific shortcut/URL are up to date. Problem is that this was not documented well in the past and I'm not sure which PCs in our environment have this shortcut. This...
  3. Public documents folder changed with version 2004

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public documents folder changed with version 2004: Up till last week my Public\Documents folder was stored on D an HDD; C is a smaller SSD drive. With the update to 2004 this seems to have changed. If I now look under Libraries / Documents, the location is shown as C used to be D. I cannot change it. Properties does show...
  4. c:\users\public\public documents\xxxxx

c:\users\public\public documents\xxxxx: when running a .bat file with the following script, the copy fails. --- robocopy "c:\users\public\public documents\foldername" "e:\copyfolder" /mir /eta /r:1 /w:1 /log:c:\robolog\logfile.txt However, when running the same script with 'public documents' changed to...
  5. Some scanned documents not visible in Public folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Some scanned documents not visible in Public folders: Both my wife and I have administrator accounts on our PC. If my wife scans a document and saves the file in the Public Documents folder, both she and I can read it. If I scan a document and save the file in the Public Documents folder, only I can read it. I thought that all...
  6. Public Desktop Folder Name

Public Desktop Folder Name: "Under users\Public Folder I have a folder with the name of : "Desktop" Should that Be "Public Desktop"? In the Desktop folder there is a "Desktop.ini" file which contains: [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799 I looked up...
  7. Public Sharing

Public Sharing: I have three machines on a wired home network, all running Windows 10 1909. All three are part of the same Workgroup, all three have Public Sharing turned on, yet Istill can't get this to work properly. Machine's One and Two won't show any other connected machines. Machine...
  8. Public Network

Public Network: Why does my home network show up as a public network instead of a private network? I have an xFinity gateway. I know it has hot spots built into it, but I have turned the hot spots off. Is there a way I can move the network from public to private in Windows?...
  9. From public desktop to user desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    From public desktop to user desktop: Basically I turned on onedrive auto sync just now and all my files on desktop are in the directory of onedrive. After I stopped the auto sync, it went back to public desktop (as the directory of an application showed) and there were many icons missing. Could someone tell...
  10. Can't open scanned document in Public Documents folder

Can't open scanned document in Public Documents folder: My wife and I have administrator accounts on the same computer. I recently scanned a document and saved the scan in the Public Documents folder ( I have public folder sharing turned on). I can open the scanned document without a problem but when my wife tries to open it she...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stop public desktop