Windows 10: Stop Auto Arrange in Details View in File Explorer

Discus and support Stop Auto Arrange in Details View in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro, copyright 2019, local computer also accessing a windows server I have a folder on my c-Drive with hundreds of files. I am re-naming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Win 10 Pro 2019 ver., Aug 3, 2020.

1. Stop Auto Arrange in Details View in File Explorer

Windows 10 Pro, copyright 2019, local computer also accessing a windows server

I have a folder on my c-Drive with hundreds of files. I am re-naming the files. Problem: each time a file is re-named, it jumps to a different location in the folder [example below] without clicking on column's Detail Heading. Requested Solution: disable the auto arrange in the details view so files do not relocate until column heading clicked. Please, no suggested work arounds using the icon view. Thank you.

:)

Win 10 Pro 2019 ver., Aug 3, 2020
  2. Madhav_ Win User

Auto Arrange Files

Stop Auto Arrange in Details View in File Explorer f0facc88-fece-4ad3-b61b-6f24209105a6?upload=true.png
    I
    recently installed a batch file for including auto-arrange files(detail view) in my view panel as it was not included in the updated version of windows 10. After installing I am able to manually arrange the files but it messes with my windows dark or white
    theme. Also, I couldn't able to view filenames in dark mode and when I select any folders it shows me a default detail view. Is there any option to disable this batch file to restore my settings???

Kindly help me (batch file-Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10)

Madhav_, Aug 3, 2020
  3. yahanna Win User
    How to Set Windows Explorer in List View All the Time?

In windows explorer, files aren't arranged the way you them all the time. Sometimes files are arranged in details view, other times they're arranged in list view. Is there a way to get windows explorer to set all files in list view?

yahanna, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Stop Auto Arrange in Details View in File Explorer

File Arrangement

Hi,Sunshine_952! I'm Leonardo! An Independent Advisor and also a Microsoft user for several years. I'll be more than happy to assist you today!

That feature is no longer native on Windows 10. In order to freely arrange the itens within a folder, you're gonna have to disable Auto Arrange.

If you want to disable auto arrange inside a folder you need to do the following:

1. Open Registry Editor by pressing Windows Key + R and typing regedit in the input field.

2. Navigate to the following key on the left panel:

3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

4. Now delete the Bags subkey.

5. Navigate to this key:

6. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

7. Delete the Bags subkey here again.

8. Navigate to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\NoRoam

9. Delete the Bags subkey here as well. After that close Registry Editor.

10. Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Locate Windows Explorer from the list of processes, and click the Restart button.

11. Download disable-auto-arrange.zip (Downloads / Other / Disable auto arrange in File Explorer in Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7)

12. Extract the files from the archive you just downloaded.

13. Run disableautoarrange.reg to add it to your registry.

14. Open This PC and close it.

15. Now repeat Step 6 to restart Windows Explorer.

Auto arrange should be disabled now and you can freely arrange files inside folders. We have to mention that this method works only for large icons, medium icons, small icons, and extra-large icons icon views.

===================================

To disable auto arrange in File Explorer, do the following:

1. Open any folder using File Explorer and right-click the empty space.

2. Go to View and make sure that the Auto arrange option is unchecked.

3. If the option is turned off you can easily arrange items in any way you want.

4. Navigate to this key:

o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\NoRoam

5. Delete the Bags subkey here as well. After that close Registry Editor.

6. Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Locate Windows Explorer from the list of processes, and click the Restart button

7. Download disable-auto-arrange.zip.

8. Extract the files from the archive you just downloaded.

9. Run disableautoarrange.reg to add it to your registry.

10. Open This PC and close it.

11. Now repeat Step 6 to restart Windows Explorer.

Auto arranges should be disabled. Try to freely arrange files inside folders to check if this method worked. Again, keep in mind that this method works only for the large icons, medium icons, small icons, and extra-large icons icon views.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Leonardo Mesquita

Independent Advisor

Leonardo Penha Mesquita, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

Stop Auto Arrange in Details View in File Explorer

1. Stop Auto Arrange in Details View in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Stop Auto Arrange

2. turn off auto arrange in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    turn off auto arrange in file explorer: I want to manually arrange image files in a folder, then save so arrangement persist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-auto-arrange-in-file-explorer/b9710100-4d2f-48f7-980a-4201b711463e
  3. turn off auto arrange in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    turn off auto arrange in file explorer: I want to manually arrange image files in a folder, then save so arrangement persist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-auto-arrange-in-file-explorer/b9710100-4d2f-48f7-980a-4201b711463e
  4. turn off auto arrange in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Win10 File Explorer details view problem

Win10 File Explorer details view problem: Hi, after an update by windows update, the details view in the explorer is showing empty colums for media files no tags informations https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-file-explorer-details-view-problem/3ebc2721-0447-4032-bf3a-717a9e9c2c4b
  6. Enlarge Details View in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enlarge Details View in File Explorer: Hi! I've been searching for a solution to enlarge the details view in File Explorer for years, also other people have asked on the web for a solution to this but no answer so far, so I ask it here too: do you know any solution to make the text and icons of the files and...
  7. Auto Arrange Files

Auto Arrange Files: [ATTACH] I recently installed a batch file for including auto-arrange filesdetail view in my view panel as it was not included in the updated version of windows 10. After installing I am able to manually arrange the files but it messes with my windows dark or white theme....
  8. Keyboard shortcut for Details view in File Explorer?

Keyboard shortcut for Details view in File Explorer?: Any keyboard shortcut for Details view in File Explorer? I read it's Ctrl + Shift + 6, but it doesn't seem to work. Any advice much welcome *Smile 139311
  9. auto arrange for files

auto arrange for files: how do u turn off auto arrange for files in a given folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-arrange-for-files/adb546c5-6a10-4206-836b-87de3e033609"
  10. File Explorer in Details Pane View stops responding

File Explorer in Details Pane View stops responding: File Explorer, in Details Pane View, stops responding after the closure of any .docx file or any .xlsx file if said file was opened via File Explorer. Older .doc files or .xls files do not cause such a problem, nor do .pdf, .txt or .jpg files cause such a problem. The...