Windows 10: stop auto-switching to another desktop

Discus and support stop auto-switching to another desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi, i have desktop 1 and desktop 2 i have 2 excel files in desktop 1 and 1 excel file in desktop 2 i open another excel file in desktop 1 so there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by k1dr0ck, Apr 9, 2017.

1. k1dr0ck Win User

stop auto-switching to another desktop

hi,

i have desktop 1 and desktop 2
    i have 2 excel files in desktop 1 and 1 excel file in desktop 2
    i open another excel file in desktop 1 so there would now be 2 excel file open in desktop 1
    then when i close 1 excel file in desktop 1
    it will automatically switch to an excel file which is in desktop 2
    i understand it switches to another desktop when there are no more excel files open in the current desktop
    but i still have 1 excel file open in desktop 1
    how can i stop windows from auto switching?
    its really getting annoying

:)

k1dr0ck, Apr 9, 2017
  2. AidanBell Win User

Switching off Auto capitalisation

Auto capitalisatiion can not be switched off on Windows Mobile, it appears. I have a new HCT Touch Pro 2, unchecking auto capitalisation in options does NOT switch it off, there is apparently no way to stop auto capitalisation. Web research confirms this.

Can anyone please help with a fix, tweak, registry edit etc that will stop auto capitalisation?

Many thanks,

Aidan.

AidanBell, Apr 9, 2017
  3. Switching from one application to another

Hi Dean,

For us to better assist you with your concern on switching application, we'd like to ask a few question.

• Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed?

To determine the version and OS build number, type winver in the search bar of Start menu.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Apr 9, 2017
  4. k1dr0ck Win User

i figured it out
    make sure to open first the very first excel file(excel app currently closed) in desktop 1
    so it wont auto switch to desktop 2 after closing the 2nd file in desktop 1

also found out that every excel file you double click to open will stay in desktop 1
    it previously opens at desktop 2 (doesnt matter where you double clicked the file)

im guessing this applies to other file types (doc, txt, etc.)

k1dr0ck, Jul 3, 2017
Thema:

1. stop auto-switching to another desktop - Similar Threads - stop auto switching

2. Windows Multiple Desktop Auto Switching (for single instance apps)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Multiple Desktop Auto Switching (for single instance apps): Is there a possibility that the window of an app to be opened, which is open in another desktop, moves to the current desktop instead of changing the desktop?...
  3. Stopping auto shutdown of desktop when first switched on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stopping auto shutdown of desktop when first switched on: This is an annoying problem, and I've tried Advanced Power Options etc which doesn't cover this. After checking weather, emails etc, I often go do other things for half an hour. When I come back, the system has switched off! Can you please give me clear instructions how to...
  4. switching to another Family

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    switching to another Family: how do I leave my current Family (I am primary child account) and join my parent's Family group? I don't see an option after I click "got it" after they tell me I need to leave my current family....
  5. Stopping auto-updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stopping auto-updates: Is there anyway to stop automatic updates in Windows 10? I thought I had disabled them, but...well, it happened yet again today. Every single time the system updates, it changes all my settings, location of icons, slows the system tremendously and does other damage. I then...
  6. Auto-switching networks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Auto-switching networks: Setting up Windows 10 (1803) Dell laptop and wish to use personal hotspot over Bluetooth when away, but when back home Windows 10 automatically connects up to use Wi-Fi. The hotspot thing is done. i'm just trying to figure out how to auto connect to Wifi when in range and...
  7. Auto login then switch user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Auto login then switch user: Hello, I use wake on lan to boot my pc to access and use it remotely. On Windows 7 I remember being able to auto log on with the set password to my account and then have it switch users right away so it was still password protected but my remote connecting software would...
  8. Another day, another Stop Code

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Another day, another Stop Code: BSOD's everyday either in Chrome or Rise of the Tomb Raider. Not sure what part is causing the problem. Removing the 780 Ti GFX card still repro's the problem. Ran Windows 10 memory tester once, no problems. My build: cpu: i7-6700K gpu: asus GTX 780 Ti ram: 2x4GB...
  9. Desktop switch to taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop switch to taskbar: I have the problem of applications or games switching off to taskbar suddenly. I am running the latest Windows 10 Creator update. Can this be a hardware fault? Any help highly appreciated. 97034
  10. Auto switch tablet/desktop mode stopped working...

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto switch tablet/desktop mode stopped working...: Does anyone know how to turn on the automatic desktop/tablet mode switching? I run W10, the official release, on a Surface Pro 3 with a keyboard cover. Up to now, when I detach the keyboard I get asked if I want to switch to tablet mode, and when I attach the keyboard...