Windows 10: stop auto-switching to another desktop

Discus and support stop auto-switching to another desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi, i have desktop 1 and desktop 2 i have 2 excel files in desktop 1 and 1 excel file in desktop 2 i open another excel file in desktop 1 so there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by k1dr0ck, Apr 9, 2017.

1. k1dr0ck Win User

stop auto-switching to another desktop

hi,

i have desktop 1 and desktop 2
    i have 2 excel files in desktop 1 and 1 excel file in desktop 2
    i open another excel file in desktop 1 so there would now be 2 excel file open in desktop 1
    then when i close 1 excel file in desktop 1
    it will automatically switch to an excel file which is in desktop 2
    i understand it switches to another desktop when there are no more excel files open in the current desktop
    but i still have 1 excel file open in desktop 1
    how can i stop windows from auto switching?
    its really getting annoying

:)

k1dr0ck, Apr 9, 2017
  2. AidanBell Win User

Switching off Auto capitalisation

Auto capitalisatiion can not be switched off on Windows Mobile, it appears. I have a new HCT Touch Pro 2, unchecking auto capitalisation in options does NOT switch it off, there is apparently no way to stop auto capitalisation. Web research confirms this.

Can anyone please help with a fix, tweak, registry edit etc that will stop auto capitalisation?

Many thanks,

Aidan.

AidanBell, Apr 9, 2017
  3. Switching from one application to another

Hi Dean,

For us to better assist you with your concern on switching application, we'd like to ask a few question.

• Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed?

To determine the version and OS build number, type winver in the search bar of Start menu.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Apr 9, 2017
  4. k1dr0ck Win User

i figured it out
    make sure to open first the very first excel file(excel app currently closed) in desktop 1
    so it wont auto switch to desktop 2 after closing the 2nd file in desktop 1

also found out that every excel file you double click to open will stay in desktop 1
    it previously opens at desktop 2 (doesnt matter where you double clicked the file)

im guessing this applies to other file types (doc, txt, etc.)

k1dr0ck, Jul 3, 2017
Thema:

1. stop auto-switching to another desktop - Similar Threads - stop auto switching

2. Wallpaper disappears after switching to another virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wallpaper disappears after switching to another virtual desktop: My wallpaper is set to slideshow via personalization, and I've multiple virtual desktops. After rebooting and switching to another virtual desktop, the wallpaper would display a black screen across all desktops. Clicking the default theme again fixes the issue. Windows 11...
  3. Headphones stopped auto switching to and from speakers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones stopped auto switching to and from speakers: Hello everyone.Ive had this problem for a while now and I have been in contact with Corsiar and they have reconmended that I come here to find a solution/ workaround.Ive had a set of Corsair Virtuoso SE wireless headphones for probably close to a year now and they were...
  4. Headphones stopped auto switching to and from speakers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphones stopped auto switching to and from speakers: Hello everyone.Ive had this problem for a while now and I have been in contact with Corsiar and they have reconmended that I come here to find a solution/ workaround.Ive had a set of Corsair Virtuoso SE wireless headphones for probably close to a year now and they were...
  5. Windows "switch desktop" stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows "switch desktop" stopped working: The ability to switch between desktops Windows Key + Ctrl + Left Arrow or Windows Key + Ctrl + Right Arrow has stopped working. No idea what changed. All desktops are still there, but using them has become much less useful. Suggestions please??thx......
  6. Windows "switch desktop" stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows "switch desktop" stopped working: The ability to switch between desktops Windows Key + Ctrl + Left Arrow or Windows Key + Ctrl + Right Arrow has stopped working. No idea what changed. All desktops are still there, but using them has become much less useful. Suggestions please??thx......
  7. How to disable auto-switching of desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable auto-switching of desktops: [ATTACH] On windows 10 when you press control + win + right/left arrow it switches to another desktop like the picture below, however when I have a game or an program running on another desktop and when it finishes running it automatically switches back to another desktop....
  8. Prevent auto switching of desktops if user closes app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prevent auto switching of desktops if user closes app: Situation Excel files open in multiple desktops desktop 1 and 2 1 file is closed on desktop 2 System jumps to desktop 1 It's pretty annoying...
  9. Stopping auto shutdown of desktop when first switched on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stopping auto shutdown of desktop when first switched on: This is an annoying problem, and I've tried Advanced Power Options etc which doesn't cover this. After checking weather, emails etc, I often go do other things for half an hour. When I come back, the system has switched off! Can you please give me clear instructions how to...
  10. Auto switch tablet/desktop mode stopped working...

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto switch tablet/desktop mode stopped working...: Does anyone know how to turn on the automatic desktop/tablet mode switching? I run W10, the official release, on a Surface Pro 3 with a keyboard cover. Up to now, when I detach the keyboard I get asked if I want to switch to tablet mode, and when I attach the keyboard...