Windows 10: Stop/Block the allocation of drive letter(s)

Discus and support Stop/Block the allocation of drive letter(s) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I want to be able to block the allocation/use of particular drive letters when external (USB) devices are attached. For example, I never want my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by idgat, Oct 23, 2020.

1. idgat Win User

Stop/Block the allocation of drive letter(s)

I want to be able to block the allocation/use of particular drive letters when external (USB) devices are attached.

For example, I never want my computer to have an E or F drive.

I can remember back in the dim distant past of a program TweakUI Powertoy for Windows XP/7 (1996) and one of the features was being able to select from a list of check boxes which drive letters were/were not available. Unticked boxes never saw a device allocated that drive letter.

This is different from simply hiding drive letters

Win 10 2004 19041.572

:)

idgat, Oct 23, 2020
  2. daylef Win User

Block drive letter group

Hi folks

Does anyone know how to block a group of drive letters available to external drives?

I have a NAS that has 5 drives mapped N O P Q R with specifc names that are easy to identify. I put the NAS to sleep for about 12 hours per day mainly to stop the fan from clogging up the works and to extend the life of the drives. If I plug in a USB drive
    with the NAS off, Windows 10 picks the first available drive (N) but it still uses the allocated name (let's say NAS 1). What that means is I have to go looking for the USB drive as it's now not easily identified. I know I can get a specific USB drive to allocate
    a drive letter but not if the drive is foreign. So what I want to do is block a group of drive letters (A through to R) from being allocated to an external drive.

Any clues?

Cheers

daylef, Oct 23, 2020
  3. Drive Letter Allocation - Windows 10

Eileen,

Your response pushed me in the right direction. The missing drive letters were allocated to the memory card reader (6 different formats) in the case. I don't use these as I have a set of USB card readers on my desk. So I disabled and uninstalled the card
    reader, the drive letters became available and I allocated them as necessary. Then re-booted my system and the card reader drive letters were reallocated when the system 'discovered' the new hardware.

Many thanks for the quick response.

Dennis

DennisBancroft, Oct 23, 2020
  4. Stop/Block the allocation of drive letter(s)

Drive Letter Allocation - Windows 10

I have installed a new SSD in my windows 10 Pro PC. When I create two volumes it allocates it a Drive Letter of G: to the first volume and R:. to the second volume. I currently have 4 volumes (C, D, E and F) but when I go into Disk Management to try and
    change the Drive letter of the second volume it does not show and letters between H: and Q:. Windows seems to have allocated the remaining drive letters to something else which I don't see in Disk Management. How do I free up H: I: etc. for use by my hard
    disk volumes?

DennisBancroft, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

Stop/Block the allocation of drive letter(s)

1. Stop/Block the allocation of drive letter(s) - Similar Threads - Stop Block allocation

2. In Windows 10 how do I revert drive letter allocation for a specific USB drive so that it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In Windows 10 how do I revert drive letter allocation for a specific USB drive so that it...: When I plugged in a specific USB memory stick to a particular PC Windows 10 it was being allocated a specific drive letter "O" which I probably assigned manually sometime in the past. I've now decided I don't want this drive to be given this letter any more. So I thought this...
  3. In Windows 10 how do I revert drive letter allocation for a specific USB drive so that it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In Windows 10 how do I revert drive letter allocation for a specific USB drive so that it...: When I plugged in a specific USB memory stick to a particular PC Windows 10 it was being allocated a specific drive letter "O" which I probably assigned manually sometime in the past. I've now decided I don't want this drive to be given this letter any more. So I thought this...
  4. Allocation of hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Allocation of hard drive: How do I allocate more space to the C drive on mycomputer I have 931 GB of available space but the OS is using 101GB's of the 102 allocated to it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/allocation-of-hard-drive/81c72fb0-229d-495f-9b05-aeaf94df3815
  5. How to make a PC allocate a drive letter automatically ?

How to make a PC allocate a drive letter automatically ?: I alter the contents of a HDD daily in one PC and then copy that new version to another HDD in a second PC. That second PC always requires me to add a drive letter to the target HDD. It a bit tiresome and I'd like to rectify that, so that a drive letter gets allocated...
  6. Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives

Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives: I have a few External Disk Drives and I have allocated fixed drive letters to each of them. Unfortunately, a few of them failed, or were given away, etc., and I am left in a bit of a messy state where I keep allocating the next alphabetical letter to any new drives, while...
  7. Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives: I have a few External Disk Drives and I have allocated fixed drive letters to each of them. Unfortunately, a few of them failed, or were given away, etc., and I am left in a bit of a messy state where I keep allocating the next alphabetical letter to any new drives, while...
  8. stop win assigning usb drive letter

stop win assigning usb drive letter: How do I stop windows from assigning drive letters to unused USB ports? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-win-assigning-usb-drive-letter/442d12f1-8165-4317-88ec-301d7d12c2fb
  9. Increase allocation letters HDD

Increase allocation letters HDD: Hello, asks if I hesitate a way or a tweak to increase allocation letters to the disk drives. Generally they are 26 and go from A to Z, I ask if it is possible to increase this range by entering numbers, eg. A1, B1, A2, B2, etc ... [ATTACH] Thank you 137180
  10. Increase allocation letters HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Increase allocation letters HDD: Hello, asks if I hesitate a way or a tweak to increase allocation letters to the disk drives. Generally they are 26 and go from A to Z, I ask if it is possible to increase this range by entering numbers, eg. A1, B1, A2, B2, etc ... [ATTACH] Thank you 137180