Windows 10: Stop Cortana going full-screen

Discus and support Stop Cortana going full-screen in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'd like to be able to use Cortana to set timers without it taking up the screen so I have to use the X in the top right corner to continue to use my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by THX1138, Jul 1, 2017.

1. THX1138 Win User

Stop Cortana going full-screen

I'd like to be able to use Cortana to set timers without it taking up the screen so I have to use the X in the top right corner to continue to use my PC. Having to use my mouse to get Cortana out of the way undermines having been able to use my voice to set the timer.

:)

THX1138, Jul 1, 2017

2. Cortana Screen

How can i stop the full screen appearing when cortana is responding.

So it takes the whole screen to say whatever results... But I don't like that.

I rather speak with it but in the little rectangle at the lower left corner.

However I don't know how to fix it.

Adonias O., Jul 1, 2017
  3. RajithR Win User
    Going Full Screen

Hi,

Thank you for the posting your query on the Microsoft Community

1. What is the make and model of the PC?

2. What is the screen resolution set on the computer?

3. Have you tried changing any display settings after upgrading to Windows 10?

Follow these methods:

Method 1:

Let us first check the screen resolution set on the computer. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Right-click anywhere on the desktop and choose 'Display Settings'.

b. Under Customize your display, choose 'Advanced display settings'.

c. Set the resolution to recommended setting.

d. Restart the computer and check the issue.

Method 2:

If that does not help, update the latest display driver from manufacturer's website.

Let us know the result. If you have further queries, we will be happy to help.

RajithR, Jul 1, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jul 1, 2017
  5. Myhrddin Win User
    May be an old comment but, still relevant. When I got the full screen treatment a moment ago.. told Cortana to get off my screen so, of course, she Bing'd it. *rolls eyes

Myhrddin, Oct 13, 2017
  6. THX1138 Win User
    Ultimately I had to disable Cortana because I could no longer put up with being randomly interrupted to say stupid crap like "Sorry; I didn't hear anything". I mean ****** really; you didn't hear anything? Then why the **** am I being interrupted? Presumably if you want a decent digital PA, you need to pay for Amazon Echo. I wonder whether MS get money from Amazon to keep Cortana acting like it has learning difficulties.

THX1138, Oct 16, 2017
  7. Myhrddin Win User
    I may do that soon.. just get rid of her.. I do have at least using my browser of choice instead of /shivers/ that new one of theirs.. what's it called.. Edge. I'm an old-time purist and like my Netscape suite, though it's now called SeaMonkey. I may have to move ol Alexa in here and replace her with a dot out there.. been thinking along those lines already. ;-)

Myhrddin, Oct 16, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Stop Cortana going full-screen [​IMG]

If you want a better start menu and configurable search (no microphone) try Classic Shell start menu (free). Drag and drop, readily configurable, more than the best of XP & Win 7 start menu features. And it correctly expresses deeply nested menus where Win 10's can't.

dalchina, Oct 16, 2017
  9. Myhrddin Win User
    Thanks for the info Dalchina. Right now I'm using Start10 ..as soon as I got this system with 10 on it, I knew I had to have a proper start menu again and it worked with windowblinds perfectly. Those are from Stardock.com's software offerings.
    Is the Classic Shell - Start Menu from a site called ClassicShell.net? I just found their site after reading your reply and it looks interesting.
    Thanks for both the info on disabling Cortana and a free solution to a decent Start Menu.!

Myhrddin, Oct 16, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Quite a few here use it. It means you are free from not being able to configure the LHS of the Win 10 start menu readily, and can choose how search works. (The search for files in C Sh if you want to use it uses Windows search).

You can configure it to expand across the screen, or like Win 7's.

Note how search is configurable ..

oh, and you can change the start button too.

And did I mention you can launch universal apps from it?

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Stop Cortana going full-screen - Similar Threads - Stop Cortana going

2. Age of Mythology won't go into full screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Age of Mythology won't go into full screen.: I just bought a new computer and my old computer With the same monitor would go to full screen. My new computer that runs windows 11 will not play the game in full screen. I don't know why not when it could before. Any help would be wonderful since I have tried others ideas...
  3. steam games wont go full screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    steam games wont go full screen: about a month ago my games would play in full screen now only certain games now will play in full screen anyone know how to fix this thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/steam-games-wont-go-full-screen/b9b8df08-6534-44cd-b4bd-eee735752b3f
  4. The Games wont go to full screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Games wont go to full screen: When I play Minecraft Java Edition when press fullscreen the Game crashes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-games-wont-go-to-full-screen/84ec3ba4-5588-408e-a2a3-3e575f465a5f
  5. Tabs go transparent and full-screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tabs go transparent and full-screen: so, i got a new AOC c27g1 monitor today and set it and the drivers up. i also go a Logitech g402 (may be relevant) and got the drivers for that. that is when i noticed, when moving a tab, it would become transparent and a box would pop-up around my screen and say "1" in the...
  6. Cortana stops notifications when desktop is blank [full screen mode]

in Cortana
    Cortana stops notifications when desktop is blank [full screen mode]: Hi, After a fresh install 1909, all updates when I minimize all Windows and have a blank desktop, Cortana stops all notifications because it "thinks" I'm in full screen mode. That's really annoying. Is that a known problem? Is there a solution? Thanks in advance! Maas...
  7. Cortana Pop Up Issue during Full screen

in Cortana
    Cortana Pop Up Issue during Full screen: Dear Microsoft Community, I have this issue with Cortana, that when Im playing a game in full screen and I want to change the music like "Hey Cortana change music to Battle Music" Cortana pops up basically makes an alt+tab combination and exiting from the game screen. How...
  8. Going Back to Full-Screen Size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Going Back to Full-Screen Size: While typing, the screen size on my computer went from full-size to shorter with large tabs (containing a minimized version of the content). I don't know how that happened. I want to go back to full screen size and the small tabs....
  9. games won't go full screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    games won't go full screen: Just as the title says, my games wont go full screen, when i go to the option in game to change it go full screen it just reverts back to window mode....
  10. Cortana generates full screen window with a circle in the middle

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana generates full screen window with a circle in the middle: Howdy. The environment: Hp Envy. Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48). All available updates applied to the OS and the Windows apps. The issue: Ever since I updated the OS to 1803, I get this fuill screen Cortana windows (with an "X" in the upper right corner.) I can't seem to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stop cortan from going full screen

2. prevent cortana full sreen

3. how to disable fullscreen cortana

4. how to prevent cortana from using full screen,
  5. How can I stop Cortana from using full screen showing,
  6. prevent cotana from full screen,
  7. cortana stop opens in full screen,
  8. stop cortana from going full screen,
  9. How do I stop cortana from using the whole screen,
  10. How do I stop cortana opening in full screen,
  11. Stop Cortana going full-screen,