Windows 10: Stop Cortana responding to "hey"?

Discus and support Stop Cortana responding to "hey"? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I play music, Cortana gets activated three or four times per hour by responding to what the algorithm interprets as "hey" (even if it's entirely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by THX1138, May 4, 2017.

1. THX1138 Win User

Stop Cortana responding to "hey"?

When I play music, Cortana gets activated three or four times per hour by responding to what the algorithm interprets as "hey" (even if it's entirely instrumental music). I haven't yet seen a false activation interpretation of "hey Cortana". Is there any way to stop Cortana responding to "hey" whilst leaving "hey Cortana" unaffected?

:)

THX1138, May 4, 2017

2. cortana not responding after the update

this is too much now, some or the other problem always exist with windows10 after the update Cortana search has stopped responding, Cortana is not listening. when I tap mic , the Cortana box stops responding as whole. Cortana settings are also not opening.
    please help! I have new dell PC , can't see problem after spending so many bucks..

VineetAsopa, May 4, 2017
  3. Cortana Only Recognizes Some Voices

I set up Win10 at my parent's house with Cortana. They love Cortana, but recently she stopped responding to my mother's voice. Cortana still responds to me, but why would she not for my mother's voice? Any help with this would be fantastic. Thanks!

NeedHelp31652, May 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Stop Cortana responding to "hey"? [​IMG]

Hi, or maybe 'hey' ... as you know you can disable Hey Cortana, or you could try training it... maybe to recognise
    'Oy, Cortana!' *Biggrin
    instead.

dalchina, May 4, 2017
  5. THX1138 Win User
    Thanks for your response but I do not wish to disable 'Hey Cortana'. Let me clarify:

I want to disable the response to 'hey'.
    I do not want to disable the response to 'hey Cortana'.

Incidentally I just tried testing response to 'hey' and there isn't one, but Cortana continues to be activated by music and says 'hey' in the box where it would normally say 'hey Cortana'.

THX1138, May 4, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Then train it to recognise only you - say it in something with a strong accent (Scouser, Brummie, Doric etc).

cereberus, May 4, 2017
  7. THX1138 Win User
    I already did that. Are the trainings additive? I don't see how using a strong fake accent will stop the program from finding that pattern in music. All it will do is make it respond to a slightly different pattern of music. The underlying problem remains that the computer is responding to sounds that the computer itself generated. The problem remains that a single syllable ('hey') is enough to activate Cortana when I want to limit it to more complex patterns ('hey Cortana').

THX1138, May 4, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Did you see my suggestion about training it?

If I just say Hey - nothing happens. Nor if I say 'Hey, you'.

You could try disabling your microphone whilst playing music...

I've not seen Cortana be triggered when I play music... is yours very loud?

dalchina, May 4, 2017
  9. THX1138 Win User
    I already did that. Are the trainings additive?

I tried testing response to 'hey' and there isn't one, but Cortana continues to be activated by music and says 'hey' in the box where it would normally say 'hey Cortana'.

I don't really want to unplug my microphone; plugging it in (or disabling and re-enabling it in settings) to use Cortana is more effort than just not using Cortana at all and doing things manually. I wouldn't say my music is particularly loud but the speakers and microphone are on the same desk.

THX1138, May 4, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    - which box exactly? The one I showed above? And what's your build?

(Windows key + R, winver).
    Thanks

dalchina, May 4, 2017
  11. THX1138 Win User
    My build is 15063.250

The box I'm referring to is indicated in the following screenshot:

http://imgur.com/PxibaHN.png

THX1138, May 4, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Ok, so you have the Creator's Update; formerly, did you have the Anniversary build (1607) and if so, was Cortana ok then?

Also have a look here

and check your microphone levels (I'm wondering about clipping and distortion). (Green bars)

I've not seen any other reports of this problem...

dalchina, May 4, 2017
  13. Edwin New Member

I've had Cortana pop up and listen with music playing, when I'm talking, singing along with music and once when I was on the phone!

Edwin, May 4, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 4, 2017
  15. Edwin New Member
    LOL!!!

Edwin, May 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Stop Cortana responding to "hey"? - Similar Threads - Stop Cortana responding

2. Cortana Will Not Respond to "Hey Cortana" or "Cortana" in Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana Will Not Respond to "Hey Cortana" or "Cortana" in Lock Screen: Hi,For some reason, I cannot enable Cortana to respond to "Cortana" or "Hey Cortana" when I have my Windows 10 computers locked. I have tried this on three separate windows 10 computers running 21H2 one Windows 10 Home with 16GB/i7 and the other two Windows 10 Pro...one...
  3. Cortana Will Not Respond to "Hey Cortana" or "Cortana" in Lock Screen

in Cortana
    Cortana Will Not Respond to "Hey Cortana" or "Cortana" in Lock Screen: Hi,For some reason, I cannot enable Cortana to respond to "Cortana" or "Hey Cortana" when I have my Windows 10 computers locked. I have tried this on three separate windows 10 computers running 21H2 one Windows 10 Home with 16GB/i7 and the other two Windows 10 Pro...one...
  4. Cortana Will Not Respond to "Hey Cortana" or "Cortana" in Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to setup cortana respond to ok cortana instaed of hey cortana

in Cortana
    How to setup cortana respond to ok cortana instaed of hey cortana: I dont want to say hey cortana instaead i want instaead ok cortana https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-cortana-respond-to-ok-cortana-instaed/eafedf6a-99ce-48a9-a249-f3639caf52aa
  6. Cortana no longer responds to "Hey Cortana"

in Cortana
    Cortana no longer responds to "Hey Cortana": Cortana can hear me, but she's no longer activated by voice and is instead activated inside a chatbox window. Where can I activate "activate Cortana by voice"?...
  7. Let Cortana respond to "Hey Cortana" doesn't work

in Cortana
    Let Cortana respond to "Hey Cortana" doesn't work: When I try turn on the option that lets Cortana respond to "Hey Cortana" , it turns off automatically. Why does this happen? Is it a bug in the configuration app?...
  8. let cortana respond to ''Hey Cortana''

in Cortana
    let cortana respond to ''Hey Cortana'': the button to this feature is locked how do I turn it on * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/let-cortana-respond-to-hey-cortana/55e73b68-a4f3-4840-914f-f150ffb8c28f"
  9. Cortana not responding after "Hey Cortana"

Cortana not responding after "Hey Cortana": Hey guys, I have windows 10 pro 64bit and a couple days ago when I said hey cortana it opened up and I could say stuff like what time is it. Now (without changing anything) it responds to "Hey Cortana" but after that it just says "Listening..." until I close it. Same thing if...
  10. Hey Cortana stops after unlocking

Hey Cortana stops after unlocking: I have my PC set to lock after so many minutes. Hey Cortana works until it locks and then I unlock it. I have to go into settings and turn off hey Cortana and back on for it to work again. Anyone else notice this? Wondering if it's widespread or not. Hopefully they'll fix it...