Windows 10: Stop games from auto-minimizing to desktop?

Discus and support Stop games from auto-minimizing to desktop? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; This issue has popped up within the last few weeks and I've never had it happen before in the years I've played games. While I am playing a game,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by MPhillips85, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Stop games from auto-minimizing to desktop?

This issue has popped up within the last few weeks and I've never had it happen before in the years I've played games. While I am playing a game, anytime I leave the game idle for a minute or two as get up and walk away from my desk it automatically minimizes to the desktop. I've noticed this happens sometimes if the game is paused i.e. hit Esc key where if it's still "playing" it doesn't seem to have the issue. The games all run in fullscreen. This has happened to various games made by various companies so I'm thinking it has something to do with windows. I don't have a screensaver and the monitor is supposed to go to sleep after 10 minutes so that most likely isn't the cause,

So far I've done the following:

1 Updated Windows

2 Updated Graphics Drivers Nvidia

3 "sfc /scannow" in an elevated command prompt it says it found something and fixed it but I don't know if it was related

4 Disable Game Mode

5 Disabled Notifications

I got it to stop somehow for a day or two but it started back up and I'm left scratching my head again. Any ideas?

:)

MPhillips85, Dec 29, 2020

2. Games minimizing to desktop

This is just a heads up in case you're suddenly finding your games minimizing to the desktop within the last couple of days. Up till yesterday, all my games ran great. Today, much frustration as games would open for 2 seconds then minimize, no matter which
    game I opened. The only thing different from yesterday to today was the cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1803 for x64 based systems (KB4340918) that installed yesterday. So, I uninstalled that update and everything is working back to normal. Prior
    to that, I had checked to make sure all my drivers were up to date and I confess, there were a couple that needed to be done, so I can't say absolutely for sure that the update was the cause, but if you're having the same trouble maybe this will be helpful.

Happy Gaming!

Vikki

VikkiDavis1, Dec 29, 2020
  3. Johan45 Win User
    AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Dec 29, 2020
  4. Snowie Win User

Stop games from auto-minimizing to desktop?

Windows 10 Minimizing Games to Desktop

Hi! I've had my custom built desktop for a few months now. It has Windows 10 Pro installed as the OS. The issue I am having is that when I try to play games in fullscreen mode, they will periodically be minimized to the desktop. It appears they are still running in the background, as I can hear the game sound even when it is minimized. I can re-open the games as I could if I had just tabbed out, but within a few minutes they will minimize again. I have tried disabling background programs such as Skype, Curse Voice, Origin, Steam, Windows Firewall, and Bitdefender, but the games will still minimize. If I have the games in windowed fullscreen mode, they will not actually minimize, but from time to time the edges of the window will be visible (as if I had tabbed out) until I click into the game again.

Obviously playing games in windowed fullscreen is a sort of band-aid for the issue, but not all games have the option of windowed fullscreen, so I can't just wait for a fix to come up anymore. I have looked for solutions to this problem, but haven't found anything that helps.

On a possibly related side note, when using Open Broadcaster Software to record gameplay, OBS will record only a black screen in "game capture" mode. I have to use "monitor capture" mode to force it to always record everything that happens on my screen. This might be related to the games minimizing, or might be something completely different. I only added this in case it was relevant to the games minimizing.

Snowie, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Stop games from auto-minimizing to desktop?

1. Stop games from auto-minimizing to desktop? - Similar Threads - Stop games auto

2. How To Stop The Game From Minimizing When Hitting Windows Key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To Stop The Game From Minimizing When Hitting Windows Key?: So basically usually when I hit the windows key, the search bar pops up, but now when I'm playing a game, It pops up the search bar and also automatically minimizes the game when I press the windows key. Which I do not prefer to have. I Just want to pop up the search bar...
  3. How To Stop The Game From Minimizing When Hitting Windows Key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Stop The Game From Minimizing When Hitting Windows Key?: So basically usually when I hit the windows key, the search bar pops up, but now when I'm playing a game, It pops up the search bar and also automatically minimizes the game when I press the windows key. Which I do not prefer to have. I Just want to pop up the search bar...
  4. Windows 11 - games minimize to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - games minimize to desktop: There are many threads about this, going back more than a decade. I had this problem in Windows 10, and now I have it on a new machine with Windows 11. I have tried every solution that has been suggested, and nothing fixes it. The biggest problem is that it is impossible to...
  5. Windows 11 - games minimize to desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - games minimize to desktop: There are many threads about this, going back more than a decade. I had this problem in Windows 10, and now I have it on a new machine with Windows 11. I have tried every solution that has been suggested, and nothing fixes it. The biggest problem is that it is impossible to...
  6. Games keep minimizing to desktop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Games keep minimizing to desktop.: Hey everyone! So Ive started having this issue with my pc where all games just keep minimizing to the desktop randomly on their own. Its really annoying and I dont know whats causing it. Are any of you guys experiencing this at the moment? I havent changed any of my settings...
  7. Stop windows from auto locking my desktop from inactivity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Stop windows from auto locking my desktop from inactivity: I think i've tried about every guide and registry edit I could find on google but this problem still persists... I write music with some software and I often do not need to move my mouse. Windows assumes that I am not using my computer and locks the screen with my password...
  8. Games minimizing to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games minimizing to desktop: This is just a heads up in case you're suddenly finding your games minimizing to the desktop within the last couple of days. Up till yesterday, all my games ran great. Today, much frustration as games would open for 2 seconds then minimize, no matter which game I opened....
  9. Games minimizing to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games minimizing to desktop: It just started today. I haven't done anything, updated, downloaded, nothing along those lines. I've checked my keyboards, used 3 different ones. All have the same result. I do the same thing I've always done not closing background applications or windows on other...
  10. Windows 10 Minimizing Games to Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Minimizing Games to Desktop: Hi! I've had my custom built desktop for a few months now. It has Windows 10 Pro installed as the OS. The issue I am having is that when I try to play games in fullscreen mode, they will periodically be minimized to the desktop. It appears they are still running in the...