Windows 10: Stop having start menu open when I sign in

Discus and support Stop having start menu open when I sign in in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Periodically when I sign into my computer the startmenu will be open. I don't like this. I feel like I saw other people discussing this for some site.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ironfist, Nov 2, 2016.

1. ironfist Win User

Stop having start menu open when I sign in

Periodically when I sign into my computer the startmenu will be open. I don't like this. I feel like I saw other people discussing this for some site.

:)

ironfist, Nov 2, 2016

2. Damaged User Account

Recently have a few issues with my own user account on Windows 10.

Microsoft Edge won't open (click it and see a flash, then it stops, doesn't open).

Next, my Start button is disabled.

As when I click it a message pops up "Critical error, start menu not working. Will try to fix the next time you sign in."

Then has a big "Sign Out" button to press to clear it from the screen.

Thus can't access my applications via the start button, until this problem is resolved.

Michael Bruse, Nov 2, 2016
  3. Start button not working

Thank you for spotting the missing :. The Start button came back but then after another Windows update it stopped again. I signed in and out several times and eventually got it to work again. The remaining problem is that when the start menu tiles open,
    Edge is missing. How do I get that back?

Thanks

MichaelLaunchbury, Nov 2, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

I only ever see this when I switch accounts - sign in to another account without signing out of the first. When I sign out of the second account and sign in again to the first it's exactly where I left it - including having the Start menu open.

PS: Resuming from Sleep or Hibernate will do it too, that is if you initiated Sleep/Hibernate from Start's power button. I don't, I just close the lid.

Bree, Nov 2, 2016
  5. ironfist Win User
    Apparently this only happens if I shut my computer off from the start menu because it had the menu open. I found this on another site.

Prevent Start Menu from opening at startup/wake - Windows 10

So if you lock your computer with the power button or with the kewyboard it doesn't happen, but if you use the start menu then it does happen.

ironfist, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Stop having start menu open when I sign in - Similar Threads - Stop having start

2. Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar crashing/restarting when I open the Start menu: So, I am trying to open the Start menu, but it's not responding and after that, it crashes and restarts. Every time I press the Windows button to open the Start menu, the desktop flickers and the taskbar restarts itself. How do I fix this?...
  3. High CPU when opening Start Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU when opening Start Menu: Prerequisites Multi monitor setup Task bar on all displays. Display 3 is main display. IMHO this behavior exists only for a few days or weeks, but I cannot exactly tell when it started. I have the situation on two different hardware setups, Dell and HP and on a company and a...
  4. When I open the start menu, it just closes

in Windows 10 Customization
    When I open the start menu, it just closes: When I press the windows key, the start menu comes up for a split second then closes. If you can give any suggestions or solutions to help me fix it that would be greatly appreciated....
  5. when iam open the start menu it will automatically close itself, and i open menu i show the...

when iam open the start menu it will automatically close itself, and i open menu i show the...: when iam open the start menu it will automatically close itself, and i open menu i show the menu sudenly close https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-iam-open-the-start-menu-it-will-automatically/646364e7-cde3-46ee-be40-a4d900d4177a
  6. Start menu opens when I press esc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu opens when I press esc: Hello, my name is Maks and I have a question my problem is, when I click esc opens start menu and I can't change sites on firefox and other weird things, I turned off sticky buttons That bug doing at random times and when I restart the computer everything works for 10 min/1,5...
  7. Search menu opens and covers everything when I click on Start menu.

in Cortana
    Search menu opens and covers everything when I click on Start menu.: Since last version of Windows 10 2004 the search menu pops up each time I click on start. I can not see any icon, application, shutting down the computer, etc. Everything is hidden behind the search menu. I have uninstalled GPU drivers, it's the same with another graphic...
  8. Weird Delay When I Open Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird Delay When I Open Start Menu: After 20 secs or more (I timed it) of not touching the start button, when I press it, it'll take a full second to even a second and a half before it finally pops up. This is a minor thing, I know, but it's really irritating. Is anyone else experiencing this? I also did some...
  9. I don't have critical error with start menu but it will after time stop working and signing...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I don't have critical error with start menu but it will after time stop working and signing...: Any fixes? While signing out does seem to resolve the issue, it only does so for a short time. It keeps happening. submitted by /u/The108ers [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/drotou/i_dont_have_critical_error_with_start_menu_but_it/
  10. Critical error when I open the start menu

Critical error when I open the start menu: Hi when i press the start menu button or the search bar i get a critical error saying your start menu isnt working. I was getting an error earlier where when i turned on my pc i got an error saying unexpected kernel mode trap. I unpluged my pc power supply and all usb...