Windows 10: Stop local IP address from changing a few hours after boot time

Discus and support Stop local IP address from changing a few hours after boot time in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks I've only noticed this recently after ISP upgraded its network. I have a Linux NAS sysem server which serves to a few Windows clients . The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jun 25, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Stop local IP address from changing a few hours after boot time

Hi folks

I've only noticed this recently after ISP upgraded its network. I have a Linux NAS sysem server which serves to a few Windows clients .

The server gets at boot time an assigned an IP address via DHCP -- that's fine - I rarely re-boot the server - but since the ISP upgrade the local IP address changes after a few hours for example from 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.27 -- this means that all the Windows clients go Bonkers as they can't see the server any more.

I get round this by stopping and restarting the samba services (smb(d) and nmb(d) and then the Windows clients can immediately see the server again without them having to do anything like re-booting their machines but it's a pain to have to do this. Also if I'm away you can imagine if the Windows clients can't get their video streams, backups or files etc.

However while your external IP address (the one people see on the Public Internet) can change and that's fine why on earth should the local addresses be affected. I really want to get away from using fixed local IP addresses.

There doesn't seem to be any settings on the router to preserve DHCP assigned addresses either.

here the local IP has changed to 192.168.1.27 from 192.168.1.20 which hoses up windows clients as they can't see it any more until samba is restarted. After a Samba restart Windows clients can see the server again.

The change in local IP takes place after about 1 day or so but is random so unpredictiable.

Stop local IP address from changing a few hours after boot time [​IMG]

On the Router should I enable this "auto reserve" --I'm not sure what that means.

Stop local IP address from changing a few hours after boot time [​IMG]

Attachment 238325

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 25, 2019

2. Finding IP address

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to find printer’s IP address:

1. Type Devices and Printers in the Windows search bar.
    2. Select on the printer and click on
      Manage.
    3. Click on the Ports tab.
      You will be able to find printer’s IP address under the ‘Ports’ tab.

Few printers also have a “Test print” option on the printer. When you print a test page from network printer, the page shows the IP address along with other details.

Note: If it is set on DHCP mode the IP address will constantly change.
    The IP address is assigned automatically by your router using a protocol called DHCP.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jun 25, 2019
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Changing IP Addresses

Apologies' - Can not quite understand fully what you have written.

IP addresses at home are determined by your Internet Service Provider. Some are fixed IP, some are forever changing 'Dynamic IP'. Mine at my home is dynamic never changing unless I power off the modem for a couple hours or so. Its Lease renewal period
    is actually every 2hrs but as long as its still seen during the 2nd hour it keeps same IP so its more or less renews every hour.

For me to actually have a Fixed internet IP that never changes, I'd have to make arrangements with my Internet service provider... and I can imagine they will want to charge me extra for that or change me to a business account at higher rates than standard
    residential rates.

Local 'LAN' network IP can be fixed or dynamic too - dynamic is default & you generally would set it as static in your router or router/modem by assigning its network cards mac address to a particular IP outside the range of the dynamic router address range,
    usually near the DHCP setting.

'Mike P, Jun 25, 2019
  4. bencrutz Win User

Assigning Static IP Address Range in a Router

yep, pretty much all.

for point #2 if you are having difficulty binding static IP in the router, it is ok to set static IP in the camera instead - just make sure you take a note on which IP is which camera so that you wouldnt put the wrong IP in the port forwarding.

am not sure what you meant. you don't need ddns to access the camera locally (from inside your LAN) *Confused Stop local IP address from changing a few hours after boot time :confused:

bencrutz, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Stop local IP address from changing a few hours after boot time - Similar Threads - Stop local address

2. change ip address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change ip address: I need help changing my ip address can you get on my machine and change it for me ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ip-address/cbd3a599-43f7-4737-aeae-4a2b6de28873
  3. change ip address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change ip address: I need help changing my ip address can you get on my machine and change it for me ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ip-address/cbd3a599-43f7-4737-aeae-4a2b6de28873
  4. change ip address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to stop IPv6 ip address from changing every day?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop IPv6 ip address from changing every day?: My IPv4 address rarely changes. My IPv6 address changes every day. This is a problem because my IP address gets added to a whitelist so I can access a work network computer, so I have to update the whitelist every day. QUESTION: Is there a way to tell Windows 10 to not get...
  6. 24 hour lease on ip address

24 hour lease on ip address: Why does my ip address lease expire in 24 hours ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/24-hour-lease-on-ip-address/62e22dd0-035e-4f76-a4a7-e8fb8de1e659
  7. Prevent local IP address from changing after logon

Prevent local IP address from changing after logon: Hi folks I've only noticed this recently after ISP upgraded its network. I have a NAS that at logon time gets assigned an IP address via DHCP -- that's fine - I rarely re-boot the server - but since the ISP upgrade the local IP address changes for example from 192.168.1.20 to...
  8. IP-address keeps changing every hour and quickly disconnects internet

IP-address keeps changing every hour and quickly disconnects internet: So I have had this problem now for one week. I am sharing internet connection via my android phone. Sometimes with hotspot and usually with USB-tethering. I did solve the problem for a moment by restoring to a restore point. After a day later I updated my windows and the...
  9. IP-address keeps changing every hour and quickly disconnects internet

IP-address keeps changing every hour and quickly disconnects internet: So I have had this problem now for one week. I am sharing internet connection via my android phone. Sometimes with hotspot and usually with USB-tethering. I did solve the problem for a moment by restoring to a restore point. After a day later I updated my windows and the...
  10. IP-address keeps changing every hour and quickly disconnects internet

IP-address keeps changing every hour and quickly disconnects internet: IP-address keeps changing every hour and quickly disconnects internet So I have had this problem now for one week. I am sharing internet connection via my android phone. Sometimes with hotspot and usually with USB-tethering. I did solve the problem for a moment by restoring...