Windows 10: Stop me from wasting time on defender offline

Discus and support Stop me from wasting time on defender offline in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. Specs are asus core i7 premium laptop only around 10 years old. Was win7 pro. Upgraded to win 10 home about a year and and half ago. My mission was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jimbo93, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Jimbo93 Win User

Stop me from wasting time on defender offline

Hi. Specs are asus core i7 premium laptop only around 10 years old. Was win7 pro. Upgraded to win 10 home about a year and and half ago. My mission was to eventually eliminate any issues left over after the original upgrade. And probably I chased some ghosts and caused some issues myself. I wanted to learn win 10 better and this was one way. So the build is 20H2 19042.867.

Todays gremlin is that MDO wont scan and the log file indicates it cant find the signatures. If I do an in place upgrade back to .631 and run one before the defender platform is updated it has worked. Now I am networking with WiFi only. So I guess that means it has to find the signatures on the host OS, because winRE does not support WiFi as installed, correct?
    The question is can anyone say for sure that with a recent defender platform like version 4.18.2102.3, which I have now, MDO scans do work without a wired Ethernet to grab the sigs from the net? Should be simple to test if someone else is on 20H2 and curious.

Ive tried everything anyway. I will be shocked if someone contradicts my theory.

:)

Jimbo93, Mar 14, 2021
  2. Whick Win User

Windows Defender Offline for Windows 10

Tried this suggestion and it did not work. Tried to boot from USB with Windows Defender Offline transferred from a safe computer. Would not boot from USB. Message "Secure Boot Violation, Invalid Signature Detected, Check secure boot policy in Setup"
    Any suggestions on next steps for a Windows 10 compatible version of Windows Defender Offline?

Whick, Mar 14, 2021
  3. Jorge Tan Win User
    offline scan by win defender

Hi,

To further assist you with your concern with Windows Defender, follow the steps below:

• Open the Run window by pressing Window + R button.
    • Then type services.msc and hit "Enter".
    • Look for Windows defender service in the list and right click on it and select start.
    • Once Windows defender is opened try to do the offline scan on that window.

Let us know how it goes.

Jorge Tan, Mar 14, 2021
  4. Steve C Win User

Defender Periodic Scanning or Offline Scanning?

That link does suggest it's useful to use Defender offline scanning in addition to periodic scanning and a third party real time anti virus (e.g. Kaspersky).

Steve C, Mar 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Stop me from wasting time on defender offline - Similar Threads - Stop wasting defender

2. Defender offline scan stops at 91%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender offline scan stops at 91%: I'm a windows 11 user. When I run the Windows defender offline scan to confirm the security of my computer, it scans a long time on 91% and then it finishes. I cannot see the results of the scan in the windows security app. Why is it? Is it a malware? If so, where can I find...
  3. Defender offline scan stops at 91%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender offline scan stops at 91%: I'm a windows 11 user. When I run the Windows defender offline scan to confirm the security of my computer, it scans a long time on 91% and then it finishes. I cannot see the results of the scan in the windows security app. Why is it? Is it a malware? If so, where can I find...
  4. Stop me from wasting time on defender offline

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Stop me from wasting time on defender offline: Hi. Specs are asus core i7 premium laptop only around 10 years old. Was win7 pro. Upgraded to win 10 home about a year and and half ago. My mission was to eventually eliminate any issues left over after the original upgrade. And probably I chased some ghosts and caused some...
  5. Windows Defender Offline stops at 91%-Solved

Windows Defender Offline stops at 91%-Solved: Ran Windows Defender offline this morning for no particular reason. I'm pretty sure machine is clean. Full system scan and Malwarebytes found no threats. It got to 91% then closed and restarted. Any idea why it stopped ? Last couple of lines in the log read:...
  6. Windows Defender Offline scan stops at 91%

Windows Defender Offline scan stops at 91%: Ran Windows Defender offline this morning for no particular reason. I'm pretty sure machine is clean. Full system scan and Malwarebytes found no threats. It got to 91% then closed and restarted. Any idea why it stopped ? Last couple of lines in the log read:...
  7. Can windows 10 stop me from wasting my time in call of duty??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can windows 10 stop me from wasting my time in call of duty??: This pandemic I’ve been having a blast playing warzone online with my friends, but I’m not nearly as productive as I used to be and finding myself jumping in “for a quick round” followed by playing for 2 hours when I should be getting work done. Is there a way I can be like...
  8. Why Microsoft Defender service stops from time to time?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why Microsoft Defender service stops from time to time?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/complexramification [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hjkoie/why_microsoft_defender_service_stops_from_time_to/
  9. Waste of time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Waste of time: How, since the recent automatic upgrade of Windows 10, can I disable tapping or other unpredictable Synaptics SMBus touchpad functions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/waste-of-time/a2bfd913-5be1-4aa5-abe6-7af47fe7d7d8
  10. Defender Offline

Defender Offline: Does anyone know if Defender Offline is supposed to be a default option for the recovery environment? I don't see any options for it, or do I have to use ICD to create a custom option for the WIM? 34689