Windows 10: Stop Microsoft Updating with old drivers

Discus and support Stop Microsoft Updating with old drivers in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Every time a major update or re-install of W10, it tries to 'update' my HP Officejet Pro X476dw Multifunction Printer with a driver that is 6 years... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by G_R, Jun 21, 2021.

1. G_R
    G_R Win User

Stop Microsoft Updating with old drivers

Every time a major update or re-install of W10, it tries to 'update' my HP Officejet Pro X476dw Multifunction Printer with a driver that is 6 years older than the driver that is installed. Why do I have to keep re-blocking this update? What's the problem with W10 updates not seeing the current driver being newer? How do I permanently force a block?

:)

2. How to stop Win10 updating graphic driver!?

Since when does this method work?.. We had a thread about this issue, right before July 29, and everybody confirmed that it does nothing on RTM build. Hence why Microsoft had to release a standalone troubleshooting module that would allow users to block certain drivers offered through WU.

Constantine Yevseyev, Jun 21, 2021
  3. Windows update keeps replacing ALPS Touchpad driver with a Synaptics driver.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to uninstall and delete the previous drivers and the latest drivers for the touchpad and install the required version of the driver from Device Manager by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager from the list.
    • Expand the Touch pad driver.
    • Right click on the driver and click on update/install.
    • Select the required version from the on-screen prompts.

And for the problem with the installation of printer drivers, I suggest you to run the Windows Update troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” option on top left pane.
    • Select “Windows Update” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 21, 2021
  4. RejZoR Win User

Unable to stop driver updates

@GreiverBlade
    Trust me, owning Radeon on Windows 10 was absolutely horrendous experience because of forced driver updates. And still is on laptop that I have and is AMD powered. GTX 980 in my main system however, it behaves just like Windows 7 or 8.1 when it comes to drivers. I decide what I want to use.

I don't understand why MS decided to force drivers. Force security updates, fine. But it's absolutely terrible and idiotic idea for drivers. Latest drivers don't work and you want to use old one instead so you can even play games? Tough luck, you just CAN'T. Even if you clean drivers, install old ones, new ones will just silently install over after some time. Absolutely retarded.

@Mussels
    Is this updater using official Microsoft repository or is it using mirrored downloads on 3rd party server?

RejZoR, Jun 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Stop Microsoft Updating with old drivers - Similar Threads - Stop Microsoft Updating

2. How do I stop automatic updates from installing old drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop automatic updates from installing old drivers: Hello,System information:HP Envy 15m-dr1012dx, with user upgrade to 24 gb of ramWindows 10 22H2 with the most recent April patch.Bitlocker is turned on.specs:10510u with integrated graphics, touch screen, 1080p 60hz, 512 GB of storage with 32 GB of optane, and 24 GB ddr4 @...
  3. How do I stop automatic updates from installing old drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop automatic updates from installing old drivers: Hello,System information:HP Envy 15m-dr1012dx, with user upgrade to 24 gb of ramWindows 10 22H2 with the most recent April patch.Bitlocker is turned on.specs:10510u with integrated graphics, touch screen, 1080p 60hz, 512 GB of storage with 32 GB of optane, and 24 GB ddr4 @...
  4. How do I stop automatic updates from installing old drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Stop Driver Updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop Driver Updates: It's not a question, it's a request. Please stop installing AMD video drivers with my Windows 11 updates. Whatever it is that you are installing makes certain games complain that I don't meet the minimum requirements to run them and it breaks AMD Adrenaline. If you insist on...
  6. Stop Driver Updates

Stop Driver Updates: It's not a question, it's a request. Please stop installing AMD video drivers with my Windows 11 updates. Whatever it is that you are installing makes certain games complain that I don't meet the minimum requirements to run them and it breaks AMD Adrenaline. If you insist on...
  7. Old Driver Update

Old Driver Update: Is old driver update will delete itself after 30 days like winsxs? If its not, how do I delete old driver update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-driver-update/4cf7f9e4-1f06-4c79-9a78-f32bebf2126d
  8. Old Driver Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Driver Update: Is old driver update will delete itself after 30 days like winsxs? If its not, how do I delete old driver update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-driver-update/4cf7f9e4-1f06-4c79-9a78-f32bebf2126d
  9. Driver Updates on Old Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Driver Updates on Old Windows 10: Hello, I need help! My mom has a laptop that needs its WiFi drivers updated, so much so that it can’t even connect to WiFi (it connects to the network, but it remains on “No Internet Access”). Ethernet doesn’t work either. The WiFi adapter is the Intel(R) Dual Band...
  10. Stop driver update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stop driver update: I keep having an driver update showing up and I no longer have the device on my pc. How do I keep that from showing up? 55005