Windows 10: stop middle mouse button from opening cortana/search

Discus and support stop middle mouse button from opening cortana/search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a way to stop the middle mouse button (i.e. click of the scroll wheel) from opening Cortana/search? Things I've tried: 1. Searched... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kuertee, Dec 31, 2015.

1. kuertee Win User

stop middle mouse button from opening cortana/search

Is there a way to stop the middle mouse button (i.e. click of the scroll wheel) from opening Cortana/search?

Things I've tried:

1. Searched Google. No useful results. The closest I found was that Windows 10 may be confusing the click of the middle mouse button as the 3-finger tap on the touchpad - which opens Cortana/search by the default. But I don't have a touch pad. I have the Toshiba PX30T (Toshiba Qosmio PX30t 23 inch Touchscreen All-in-One PC - Black/Silver (Intel Core i3 3120M 2.5GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-Bit): Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories).

2. Tried re-configuring the middle mouse button in (a) Windows 10 Settings > Devices > Mouse & touchpad, (b) Control Panel > Mouse, and (c) my desktop's manufacturer's System Settings utility application (upgraded just now from their website). Interestingly, none of those three configuration tools had any control setting for the middle mouse button.

It is obvious that Windows 10 doesn't "fully" support the wireless mouse that comes with my PC.

My question then is...

Is there a way to "unbind" the middle mouse button from opening Cortana/search? For example, via the Registry Editor - maybe?

Thanks for any replies!

:)

kuertee, Dec 31, 2015

2. Using both of my trackpad buttons brings up cortana/the windows search function

Using both of my trackpad buttons on windows 8 would act as a middle-click, but now that I've upgraded it also opens the cortana search bar. How can I disable this? It's really annoying and I can't seem to get rid of it through mouse or cortana settings.

Also, my computer is an Alienware 15 2015 if that helps.

Avocado_maki, Dec 31, 2015
  3. New tabs in Edge

How do I set Edge to open a new tab when using the middle mouse button? I have set all the usual settings that I can but to no avail. When I click with the middle mouse button the new tab shows at the top of the screen but does not open until I click on
    it with the left mouse button.

Help!

stickstickus, Dec 31, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Hi kuertee, welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

What's the model of the mouse?

Edwin, Dec 31, 2015
  5. kuertee Win User
    Hi, it's the mouse that came with that PC. It's the Toshiba wireless mouse. There are no specific drivers for it on the Toshiba website. And it never had. And it uses (and has always used even in the original Windows 8 install) the "generic" wireless mouse driver named "HID-compliant mouse" in the Control Panel.

Also, I just read all the posts in a similar thread (Help to stop windows 10 search box constantly popping up - Page 6 - Windows 10 Forums) discussing this same problem. Unfortunately, there were no fixes in that because I don't actually have a touch pad and, therefore, I don't see the "tapping" controls in any of the configuration utilities (e.g. Control Panel, etc.) that are available to me.

kuertee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. stop middle mouse button from opening cortana/search - Similar Threads - stop middle mouse

2. Middle mouse button click not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Middle mouse button click not working: Hello, hope you are well. For a couple months now my middle mouse button has not been registering at all. I use it quite a lot toopen links in new tabs and such, so this is really tough. I know its not the mouse itself, because ive plugged in a new mouse and it had the same...
  3. Middle mouse button click not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Middle mouse button click not working: Hello, hope you are well. For a couple months now my middle mouse button has not been registering at all. I use it quite a lot toopen links in new tabs and such, so this is really tough. I know its not the mouse itself, because ive plugged in a new mouse and it had the same...
  4. My middle mouse button problem

My middle mouse button problem: So there is a issue in windows i guess when i press right left click my middle mouse button gets clicked with them which i don't even touch so for now i got an alternate update and i disabled the middle mouse button and now the bug is gone but i can't use middle mouse button...
  5. Snipping tool and middle mouse button stopped working win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snipping tool and middle mouse button stopped working win10: Hello, after a recent windows update, Snip&Sketch shortcut win+shift+s stopped working, and the app only shows the ability to snip entire screen, not the parts anymore. At the same time, my middle mouse button wheel stopped working for opening/closing browser pages.I have...
  6. Snipping tool and middle mouse button stopped working win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snipping tool and middle mouse button stopped working win10: Hello, after a recent windows update, Snip&Sketch shortcut win+shift+s stopped working, and the app only shows the ability to snip entire screen, not the parts anymore. At the same time, my middle mouse button wheel stopped working for opening/closing browser pages.I have...
  7. Snipping tool and middle mouse button stopped working win10

8. Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab: I have a Steelseries Aerox 3, recently the middle click has completely stopped working and I am wondering if its Windows or the mouse, I've looked on various sites for a fix to this but none work or even apply to me. I know ctrl click and other stuff like that exist, but its...
  9. Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab: I have a Steelseries Aerox 3, recently the middle click has completely stopped working and I am wondering if its Windows or the mouse, I've looked on various sites for a fix to this but none work or even apply to me. I know ctrl click and other stuff like that exist, but its...
  10. Middle Mouse Button Click Issue

Middle Mouse Button Click Issue: I have a Dell WM257 mouse/keyboard running on Windows 10 desktop. The middle button on the mouse suddenly stopped working. There doesn't seem to be anyway to check or change the settings for this, although the settings that are available did not change. Reinstalling the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stop cortana opening on middle mouse button