Windows 10: Stop multiple instances of the same folder opening in Windows 10

Discus and support Stop multiple instances of the same folder opening in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have just set up a new Windows 10 workstation. I have noticed that the same folder can be opened many times simultaneously in separate windows,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Falaise, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Falaise Win User

Stop multiple instances of the same folder opening in Windows 10

I have just set up a new Windows 10 workstation. I have noticed that the same folder can be opened many times simultaneously in separate windows, cluttering up the system tray.I have tried changing the folder options, but this makes no difference.. Naturally I want to continue to open different folders in their own windows.

:)

Falaise, Apr 27, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 27, 2021
  3. Berton Win User
    How to open multiple images in same instance of Photo Viewer?

Rather than use Photos I changed the Open with to Windows Photo Viewer then double-clicking a file in Pictures opened in Windows Photo Viewer which let me click the arrow to step through all the images in that Folder.

Berton, Apr 27, 2021
  4. Stop multiple instances of the same folder opening in Windows 10

Multiple instances of the same folder open

I feel kinda dumb asking this, but here goes.

Has windows always allowed having multiple instances of the same folder open? I can't remember.

I can open the same folder from a desktop shortcut in an unlimited amount of instances. I can find my desktop toolbar filling up with buttons from the same folder.

Have I enabled some setting to cause this?

kitpzyxmsir, Apr 27, 2021
Thema:

Stop multiple instances of the same folder opening in Windows 10

1. Stop multiple instances of the same folder opening in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Stop multiple instances

2. Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background: Hello There,I have this issue on my Windows 11 wherein it opens up multiple copies of the same application. In the screenshot from this link that I only opened Photoshop without any tabs or design being active, and yet it shows multiple instances of the same application in...
  3. Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background: Hello There,I have this issue on my Windows 11 wherein it opens up multiple copies of the same application. In the screenshot from this link that I only opened Photoshop without any tabs or design being active, and yet it shows multiple instances of the same application in...
  4. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program: I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the Open With program list in the context menu of the file. The file I'm trying to open is a pdf. When I try to choose the program...
  5. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

"Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program: I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the Open With program list in the context menu of the file. The file I'm trying to open is a pdf. When I try to choose the program...
  6. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application: How do I force Win 11 to open only 1 instance of an app when I select it's icon from the toolbar or desktop? In Win 10, when I opened an app such as Notepad, I could then open my browser or any other app and Notepad would be minimized on the toolbar unless I had the Windows...
  8. Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application

Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application: How do I force Win 11 to open only 1 instance of an app when I select it's icon from the toolbar or desktop? In Win 10, when I opened an app such as Notepad, I could then open my browser or any other app and Notepad would be minimized on the toolbar unless I had the Windows...
  9. Searching for multiple instances of the same file in different folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching for multiple instances of the same file in different folders?: Is there a way in Windows graphical search, or even Powershell command-line to search for any instances of a file name that appears multiple times on the same drive?...
  10. Multiple instances of the same folder open

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple instances of the same folder open: I feel kinda dumb asking this, but here goes. Has windows always allowed having multiple instances of the same folder open? I can't remember. I can open the same folder from a desktop shortcut in an unlimited amount of instances. I can find my desktop toolbar filling up...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HOW DO I STOP MY PC FROM OPENING SELECTED FILES IN SEPARATE WINDOWS

2. HOW TO AVOID MULTIPLE OPENING OF FOLDER IN PC

3. prevent too many instances of this PC popping up