Windows 10: Stop OneDrive Files and Folders FROM Synching to Desktop and Other Devices

Discus and support Stop OneDrive Files and Folders FROM Synching to Desktop and Other Devices in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Just as the subject says, I need to stop OneDrive from synching to my PC and other devices. The reason I keep and use OneDrive for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Toke San, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Toke San Win User

Stop OneDrive Files and Folders FROM Synching to Desktop and Other Devices

Hello,

Just as the subject says, I need to stop OneDrive from synching to my PC and other devices. The reason I keep and use OneDrive for files/folders as cloud storage is because I TRUST Microsoft ad OneDrive to keep my files safe! I don't trust my PC, Phone or Tablets. But in the last few months OneDrive just download all my files and folders into my local devices. Noooooooo! It was never that that on Win8 and early versions of Win 10. It changed sometimes in 2019. Even during 2019, there was a feature that allows one to choose a folders to synch that reads [Right click on the OneDrive icon on the taskbar, click Settings, click Choose Folders, and uncheck the files that you do not want to sync. click Ok.] This has also disappeared. I used it before and it is clearly outlined by how-to-geek here: Choose Folder to Synch

Stop OneDrive Files and Folders FROM Synching to Desktop and Other Devices cd4dc969-00fa-4842-abb1-5caddc4b93b3?upload=true.jpg

Please provide direction on how to choose and pick files to synch down to PC.

Feel free to contact me directly at tokesan at outlook dot com) although I doubt I will hear form any one.

OneDrive is not even on the list of products to pick!

Stop OneDrive Files and Folders FROM Synching to Desktop and Other Devices 3f78d8f0-ed8d-485c-9fcb-46594d1e3f10?upload=true.jpg

:)

Toke San, Nov 8, 2019
  2. eliuri Win User

OneDrive Sync altered many desktop files

ok...I got that part now about files needing to be in the local OneDrive folder in order to synch automatically..Though it seems i cant upload any files from my pc to my online OneDrive. Even those in the OneDrive local folders

There still remains the issue of those Protected Folders-Desktop and Documents-not synching as they should--as suggested by that screenshot-whereby I cannot stop and start the synching process. The Desktop and Documents rectangles remain not selected--regardless of what I do

eliuri, Nov 8, 2019
  3. Stop synching files

OneDrive is synching files that I do not want synched. I cannot stop the process. When I choose to eliminate a folder (e.g., "Desktop") from synching, I get an an error message says that the synching can't be stopped because the files are not done synching.
    The only thing that stops the synching is OneDrive filling up and it says I have no space. I delete the unwanted files from OneDrive, making space. Then when I start the computer it starts synching the files again. What do I have to do to stop this unwanted
    synching?

RobertCoccaro, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Stop OneDrive Files and Folders FROM Synching to Desktop and Other Devices

Can't stop large Outlook 2016 files from synching with OneDrive

OK I solved my own problem.
    First I moved the files out of the OneDrive folder, deleted the folder, and they disappeared from the synch although the folder was still in the Cloud. So I deleted the Cloud folder too. I then created the folder again in OneDrive and put the folders back in there but selected not to Synch it. That failed as it showed an error about two folders the same and synching also started again.
    So, I moved the folder and outlook files permanently out of the OneDrive folder and that's sorted it.
    OneDrive seems so inflexible and isn't user friendly if you ask me!
    w

stevenson53, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Stop OneDrive Files and Folders FROM Synching to Desktop and Other Devices

1. Stop OneDrive Files and Folders FROM Synching to Desktop and Other Devices - Similar Threads - Stop OneDrive Files

2. How to stop a folder on my PC from being synched to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop a folder on my PC from being synched to OneDrive: I have an App folder in my Documents folder. It contains a lot of information that I DO NOT WANT SENT to Onedrive. I want to stop it from synching to Onedrive.I am NOT trying to Unsync folders from OneDrive, so they do not show on my PC. That is done by going to OneDrive...
  3. How to stop a folder on my PC from being synched to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to stop a folder on my PC from being synched to OneDrive: I have an App folder in my Documents folder. It contains a lot of information that I DO NOT WANT SENT to Onedrive. I want to stop it from synching to Onedrive.I am NOT trying to Unsync folders from OneDrive, so they do not show on my PC. That is done by going to OneDrive...
  4. Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch: Hello, I am using Windows 11 laptop from Thinkpad.I had 2 documents from the notes app on my desktop, OneDrive then synchs and those 2 documents are not there anymore. I checked my trashcan and OneDrive trashcan and personal vault. After OneDrive synched my files were...
  5. Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch

Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch: Hello, I am using Windows 11 laptop from Thinkpad.I had 2 documents from the notes app on my desktop, OneDrive then synchs and those 2 documents are not there anymore. I checked my trashcan and OneDrive trashcan and personal vault. After OneDrive synched my files were...
  6. Stop synching of files in OneDrive

Stop synching of files in OneDrive: OneDrive has the extremely annoying habit of INSTANTLY starting the synch after a fresh install, and then refusing the disabling of certain folder. Example: I have a 300 GB disk, and if I'm unlucky then OneDrive will start a 600GB folder download. Can't stop synching this...
  7. Stop synching of files in OneDrive

Stop synching of files in OneDrive: OneDrive has the extremely annoying habit of INSTANTLY starting the synch after a fresh install, and then refusing the disabling of certain folder. Example: I have a 300 GB disk, and if I'm unlucky then OneDrive will start a 600GB folder download. Can't stop synching this...
  8. Stop synching of files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Stop OneDrive from Synching Desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop OneDrive from Synching Desktops: This may be the wrong forum; sorry if it is. I just setup a new computer, but now find that if I change the desktop on one (for example delete icons), it affects the others. I need them to be different. I use OneDrive to access and synch documents, downloads, pictures etc....
  10. OneDrive: how to stop OneDrive from synching folders?

OneDrive: how to stop OneDrive from synching folders?: I knowI can "choose folders" when I right click in settings but this option only changes what I can see on my computer, not what is synched to the cloud. I have one computer for practicing my code and those files are what I want synched, not photos, downloads, music, etc....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to stop one drive from synching a folder on my pc

2. why is is onedrive and local drive synching