Windows 10: Stop "Runtime Broker" from running constantly in the background

Discus and support Stop "Runtime Broker" from running constantly in the background in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; How to stop "Runtime Broker" from running constantly in the background. Running win 10 Home 32 bit upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium 12707 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by emeth, Aug 3, 2015.

1. emeth Win User

Stop "Runtime Broker" from running constantly in the background

How to stop "Runtime Broker" from running constantly in the background.

Running win 10 Home 32 bit upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium

:)

emeth, Aug 3, 2015

2. Runtime Broker is using too much cpu on a quadcore i5 3570k

I've done as you directed. I hit end task on Runtime Broker. I took me a while to find the troubleshooter that was located in the control panel section. I ran the troubleshooter and it says it could not find any problems. After a while the runtime broker
    program started back up after ending task.

Windows10XboxOne, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Runtime Broker in build 10586.29 on PC uses 67% of CPU usage with NAS/LAN impact

Runtime Broker in build 10586.29 on PC uses 67% of CPU usage. When broker is hogging the system I notice my NAS "MyCloud" HDD lights are blinking and the LAN light is ablazing. When runtime broker is killed in task manager the CPU usage goes down to 5%
    and the NAS/LAN lights stop blinking. Not sure how to associate which process/service is tied to the NAS/LAN and runtime broker, so as to uninstall, disable or modify.

JK of Seattle, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Antilope Win User

Someone mentioned that they solved this problem by going to Settings, System Display, Notifications & actions. Turn OFF "Show me tips about windows".

If that doesn't work, you can edit the Registry to disable "Runtime Broker", but this will also prevent Microsoft Store Apps from running.

Runtime Broker is a service called Time Broker, which can be disabled through editing the registry.

Right-click on the Start Menu Icon. Go to RUN and type regedit.exe and select OK.

Find the following entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker] "Start"=dword:00000003

Change the 3 to a 4.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker] "Start"=dword:00000004

4 is Disabled, 3 is Manual and 2 is Automatic startup.

Before editing, the original value was 3. Set to 4 to disable. Just change the 3 to a 4 through the MODIFY menu selection, exit regedit and reboot your system.

Antilope, Aug 4, 2015
  5. After rebooting for today's win10 cumulative update, my UPS was not detected saying "no battery." Unplugging and plugging it in again fixed it. I also noticed this runtime broker high cpu problem, and what made it go away for me was simply opening the system settings app, didn't have to change any settings either. Guess that's lucky, will be watching for recurrences for sure now!

IntelliMoo, Aug 5, 2015
  6. emeth Win User
    Have set key to 4 and will observe the activities.

Thank you

emeth, Aug 5, 2015
  7. CAMSI Win User
    This is brilliant. I am amazed that after being on the phone with MSFT help desk for 90 minutes they did not know this and only tried to reorganize my hard drive to solve this problem.

CAMSI, Aug 10, 2015
  8. batlhilz Win User

yeah a random buddy had called 3 times to MS and to HP when she had installed win10 as an win7 upgrade - they said both, that only way to go back to that problem, was to re-install and re-upgrade. i solved the problem in 5minutes via teamviewer

so, these guys are just trained to answer calls, not to really give support despite their titles *Wink

batlhilz, Aug 10, 2015
  9. CAMSI Win User
    Yes. Say, BTW, I did the upgrade from 7 to 10 on one of my machines. On that machine the connect button in the Action Center doesn't see my smart tv. The other machines see it as a projector. The 7 to 10 machine does not seem to have a projector category. Was wondering if anyone knows how to add that category to the device window.

CAMSI, Aug 10, 2015
  10. batlhilz Win User
    check some of your video or photo files -> right click over -> use "cast to device" -> what does it show there?

batlhilz, Aug 10, 2015
  11. CAMSI Win User
    Shows the Smart TY there and the photo is cast to the TV. Still can't mirror the laptop though.

CAMSI, Aug 10, 2015
  12. CAMSI Win User
    So, even though I changed the value to 4 in regedit, this Runtime Broker thing still shows up every so often stealing CPU resources. I even went back to make sure the value was still 4.

CAMSI, Aug 12, 2015
  13. Stop "Runtime Broker" from running constantly in the background

It is essential service, Windows starts it when needed, even when it is disabled.

TairikuOkami, Aug 12, 2015
  14. emeth Win User
    I as well Camsi. Have found RB is "Back!"

Setting to # 4 must not completely deactivate RB?

emeth, Aug 12, 2015
  15. emeth Win User
    I assumed that it is some sort of directed service, but can you explain how MS needs it as "an essential service", it would help clarify the question as to what it is really doing?

Thank you

emeth, Aug 12, 2015
Thema:

1. Stop "Runtime Broker" from running constantly in the background - Similar Threads - Stop Runtime Broker

2. RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!: Hello, I have a problem related with runtime broker.exeSometimes when I search something throught the Windows search menu, I encounter a lag before writing the next letterAfter that, in reliability monitor, an error related to runtime broker...
  3. RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!: Hello, I have a problem related with runtime broker.exeSometimes when I search something throught the Windows search menu, I encounter a lag before writing the next letterAfter that, in reliability monitor, an error related to runtime broker...
  4. RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!

in Cortana
    RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!: Hello, I have a problem related with runtime broker.exeSometimes when I search something throught the Windows search menu, I encounter a lag before writing the next letterAfter that, in reliability monitor, an error related to runtime broker appearAnyone knows how to fix this...
  6. RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!: Hello, I have a problem related with runtime broker.exeSometimes when I search something throught the Windows search menu, I encounter a lag before writing the next letterAfter that, in reliability monitor, an error related to runtime broker appearAnyone knows how to fix this...
  7. RUNTIME BROKER STOPPED WORKING !!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. how to prevent runtime broker from running in the background in windows 10 if there is no...

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to prevent runtime broker from running in the background in windows 10 if there is no...: Hello, I have all the configuration options disabled, but still the runtyme broker process manifests 3 processes in the task manager. In previous versions of Windows, this process only manifested itself if the camera was turned on or if some application required some...
  9. Runtime broker !

in Windows 10 Customization
    Runtime broker !: For quite a few weeks now I seem to be getting this message fairly frequently when I click on "Setting's" in Windows 10. As anyone got any ideas what is causing it ? RuntimeBroker The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation ! Read...
  10. runtime broker

in Windows 10 Support
    runtime broker: This keeps using more and more memory, my disk usage is 100%, can someone tell em what this is, how to fix it, please!!!! microsoft forums are useless 9301

Users found this page by searching for:

1. runtime broker just keeps running and running no matter how i try and stop it

2. yourphone.exe and runtime broker run in the background

3. how to stop runtime broker from loading