Windows 10: Stop Syncing Desktop, Documents and Pictures with Onedrive

Discus and support Stop Syncing Desktop, Documents and Pictures with Onedrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have searched but cannot find an issue to my problem. I purchased a new computer, set up Windows 10, and now my Desktop, Documents and Pictures... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MitchSheppard, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Stop Syncing Desktop, Documents and Pictures with Onedrive

I have searched but cannot find an issue to my problem.

I purchased a new computer, set up Windows 10, and now my Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders are syncing to onedrive. My Documents folder is far too large to sync, and I refuse to buy additional storage that I don't need. Currently syncing necessary files on a Sharepoint server anyway.

When I go into onedrive settings > backup > manage backup, and deselect my Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders, it gives me an error message:

"Space left in OneDrive after selection: -12 MB

You don't have enough available space in OneDrive to back up your folders. Get more storage and try again."

I tried onedrive settings > account > choose folders, and deselected folders to free-up space, but any folder I try gives me the error message:

"Sorry, your changes couldn't be saved.

Some of the items you tried to stop syncing aren't in OneDrive yet. Please wait for them to finish uploading and fix any sync problems, and then try making changes again later."

This leaves me completely stuck. Can't free up space until I'm done syncing, can't finish syncing until I free up space. It seems like the only solution is buying more space that I don't need.

How can I make Onedrive leave my Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders alone? I just want it to operate like it did in previous years, with full control over what gets synced.

:)

MitchSheppard, Feb 17, 2021
  2. eliuri Win User

OneDrive Sync altered many desktop files

Choose folders only gives me folders already in my OneDrive folder on the pc..Maybe this is as intended? It doesnt allow me to browse folders on my PC to add to my OneDrive for synching.

Is this the way OneDrive intends it?

Of those protected folders, only Pictures is an "active" folder in my Settings. Documents and Desktop remain blank white rectangles with no option to start/stop synching as I have with Pictures

eliuri, Feb 17, 2021
  3. Stop Desktop Backup to OneDrive

I wish I could post a screen shot of what I see. Below the graphics of the three folders, it says:

ActivityTagsFrameLevel.xls in the Documents folder has the same name as a file already in OneDrive. We'll add '-Copy' to the end of the name, and both items will be available in OneDrive.

We can't back up Pictures because you aren't synching the Pictures folder to this device. To continue, select the Pictures folder for synching in OneDrive Settings.

Space left in OneDrive after selection: -329 MB.

In Windows Explorer, the Desktop folder in OneDrive still shows an X in a red circle. I am continuing to pause syncing.

1. I don't want to sync Pictures.
    2. OneDrive Properties says it has only 3.28 GB, with 1.79 GB on disk.

I don't know how to address any of the issues they raise. Thanks for your help.

JerryEnoch, Feb 17, 2021
  4. CraigLong Win User

Stop Syncing Desktop, Documents and Pictures with Onedrive

Stop Desktop Backup to OneDrive

When you select (check) folders to sync (at Account tab > Choose folders) you are selecting which online OneDrive folders that you want to sync locally to your PC. When checked they will download if not already downloaded and will sync to your PC.

If you don't want to sync your PC's Pictures folder to OneDrive then go to the Backup tab and stop the backup of the Pictures folder. The same goes for your Desktop and Documents folders.

The OneDrive storage may get full after the selections you make.

CraigLong, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

Stop Syncing Desktop, Documents and Pictures with Onedrive

1. Stop Syncing Desktop, Documents and Pictures with Onedrive - Similar Threads - Stop Syncing Desktop

2. Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures: These were the only files in my one drive and I know it syncs automatically. When this happens I know they all go to there file names by default. If one of these files had malware it would be a risk if it was ran or opened. Does windows open or run any file while setting up...
  3. Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures: These were the only files in my one drive and I know it syncs automatically. When this happens I know they all go to there file names by default. If one of these files had malware it would be a risk if it was ran or opened. Does windows open or run any file while setting up...
  4. OneDrive Syncing Desktop and all Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Syncing Desktop and all Documents: I just installed OneDrive on my computer and I accidently allowed it to sync my desktop and all my documents. I'm using OneDrive for work and only need to sync my work folders that are on OneDrive. It has been syncing for days and I when I click stop sync it will not let me...
  5. OneDrive Syncing Desktop and all Documents

OneDrive Syncing Desktop and all Documents: I just installed OneDrive on my computer and I accidently allowed it to sync my desktop and all my documents. I'm using OneDrive for work and only need to sync my work folders that are on OneDrive. It has been syncing for days and I when I click stop sync it will not let me...
  6. OneDrive Syncing Desktop and all Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Stop onedrive from Syncing my Documents+desktop folder!

Stop onedrive from Syncing my Documents+desktop folder!: I have Installed FF14 from steam onto my External drive and have tried to install the games Launcher onto my external drive as well but Windows insists on choosing its default as my Onedrive Documents/Desktop folder and I can't move it. I cannot access the Settings at all...
  8. Stop onedrive from Syncing my Documents+desktop folder!

Stop onedrive from Syncing my Documents+desktop folder!: I have Installed FF14 from steam onto my External drive and have tried to install the games Launcher onto my external drive as well but Windows insists on choosing its default as my Onedrive Documents/Desktop folder and I can't move it. I cannot access the Settings at all...
  9. Stop onedrive from Syncing my Documents+desktop folder!

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Stop OneDrive Pictures Syncing With The Computer.

Stop OneDrive Pictures Syncing With The Computer.: How can I stop OneDrive pictures syncing with PC? ***Edited Original Title From: onedrive sync*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-onedrive-pictures-syncing-with-the-computer/609276a8-0ef7-4391-aa9e-801e4fe1f1ff"