Windows 10: Stop things in task switcher moving around

Discus and support Stop things in task switcher moving around in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I've tried to search around for an answer to this, but not knowing how to describe the icon/preview things in the alt-tab task switcher, am at a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hellopaul, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Hellopaul Win User

Stop things in task switcher moving around

Hello,
    I've tried to search around for an answer to this, but not knowing how to describe the icon/preview things in the alt-tab task switcher, am at a bit of a loss.

Like on Mac OSX, Windows 10 likes to shuffle everything around in the task switcher, just to slow you down a bit/confuse you/intensely annoy you/make you want to punch Bill Gates in the face. I can imagine car manufacturers adopting this same wonderful technique - wouldn't it be convenient if the pedal on the left is the one you used most recently - if you press the brake, the brake pedal moves to the leftmost position. Then if you press the accelerator, it then moves to the leftmost position. Brilliant, what could possibly go wrong?!

Enough of that - my point is, is there a way to correct this incredibly ridiculous, awful interface bug, and keep everything in the same place unless I close apps/folders etc?

Thanks,
    Paul

:)

Hellopaul, Aug 30, 2018
  2. Konkey Dong Win User

Task Switcher randomly gets stuck cycling windows

Good morning!

I am having an issue with the Task Switcher (see image below) activating on its own. It then begins to cycle through the open tasks very rapidly. When this happens I am unable to actually select any of the tasks, nor can I close them out. Windows is essentially frozen at this point and I have to restart.

A few things to note:

• I am running Windows 10 Pro.
    • This happens randomly, sometimes weeks between an incident.
    • Sometimes it happens while I am not even working at the computer. I've noticed it after returning to my desk.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Stop things in task switcher moving around [​IMG]

Konkey Dong, Aug 30, 2018
  3. GinaXYZ Win User
    Problems with Task Switcher

I use Remote Desktop for some programs as I am working at a remote site. I have always used Task Switcher to flick between this and open windows on my local drive - e.g. if i am entering a list of invoices onto the accounts program from an excel spreadsheet,
    I will flick between excel and Remote Desktop.

This has worked fine up to now, but I have recently changed to a new laptop and now when I use Task Switcher to flick to Remote Desktop, my next key stroke doesn't register?! E.G if I typed 123, it would only be recorded as 23.

The implications could be quite disastrous - as an extreme example if I entered a figure on an invoice of £3 million, it would only be recorded as £300K !! Obviously I can edit it, but when running through a long list quickly it would be easy to miss.

***Post moved to the appropriate forum category***

GinaXYZ, Aug 30, 2018
  4. hilltop Win User

How to create shortcut to Task Switcher?

In Windows 8 and previous, we could execute the Task Switcher shortcut to programmatically bring up the Alt-Tab window without needing to press Alt-Tab. NOTE: This shortcut is located in:
    C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    and is still present in Windows 10 after upgrading from 8.1

This was immensely helpful for setting up a mouse shortcut button to bring up the task switcher. I had mine configured when clicking the middle wheel, the task switcher appeared. Then rolling the wheel allowed selection of the desired active application, and a second click of the wheel selected that application.

After upgrading to Windows 10, the "Task Switcher" shortcut no longer works. When attempting to execute it, nothing happens.

Also on eightforums.com, I discovered a method of creating this shortcut manually (i.e. referencing the appropriate GUID shell action ( Shortcut - Create in Windows 8)

However, this has stopped working in Windows 10.

Is there any way to recover this functionality in Windows 10?

Also, as an added bonus, is there any way to bring up Task View in the same way? Task view shows all virtual desktops and may be a more efficient way of navigating open programs than the Task Switcher.

I'm sure both of these are simply different shell GUID's (similar to the eightforums link above) but I don't know how to go about finding them.

Thank you for any direction!

hilltop, Aug 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Stop things in task switcher moving around - Similar Threads - Stop things task

2. How to stop windows from moving around and resizing after exiting game

in Windows 10 Support
    How to stop windows from moving around and resizing after exiting game: I'm trying to figure out how to stop windows from moving around and resizing when I alt+tab out of a game like Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. It gets annoying and I'm trying to figure out how to get it to stop doing that. Any help is much appreciated. If it helps to know...
  3. task host window is stopping background tasks

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    task host window is stopping background tasks: This warning has become an issue after two of the last three windows updates stopping restarts and shutdowns. We have tried the many steps outlined via google search as well as: Control panel Administrative Tools Task Scheduler open Left side Select Task schedule...
  4. Tiles in Start System move around and are scattered.

in Windows 10 Support
    Tiles in Start System move around and are scattered.: The tiles are inconsistent in placement and trying to order them with the mouse moves other tiles in all directions. I have not tried to do a clean install of 10074 because I have quite a few third party programs installed to make sure they work with Windows 10. I am...
  5. Task Host Window stopping background tasks

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Host Window stopping background tasks: It means that a process is hung up and Windows has killed it. Sounds like your video editor is the problem. I think your right. I contacted my IT service and they told me the graphics card needed updating. I thought that fixed the problem but later today Premiere began to...
  6. How to create shortcut to Task Switcher?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to create shortcut to Task Switcher?: In Windows 8 and previous, we could execute the Task Switcher shortcut to programmatically bring up the Alt-Tab window without needing to press Alt-Tab. NOTE: This shortcut is located in: C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch and is still...
  7. Leaked Windows 10 for phones screenshots reveal new task switcher

in Windows 10 News
    Leaked Windows 10 for phones screenshots reveal new task switcher: [img] New screenshots of an unreleased Windows 10 for Phones build have leaked online, showing off a new task switcher and other notable improvements. The images, shared by WindowsMania.pl, show not only the new task switcher, which appears to display active apps in...
  8. Task Switcher randomly gets stuck cycling windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Switcher randomly gets stuck cycling windows: Good morning! I am having an issue with the Task Switcher (see image below) activating on its own. It then begins to cycle through the open tasks very rapidly. When this happens I am unable to actually select any of the tasks, nor can I close them out. Windows is...
  9. Icons on desktop keep moving around

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons on desktop keep moving around: Have tried researching this annoying problem and found several long threads from 2015 with various confusing answers involving several registry changes. Has this common problem been definitively solved yet and if so can someone please post the solution here 55644
  10. Is Windows Switcher Deprecated

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Windows Switcher Deprecated: Is it true I shall no longer see this 'switch box' in Windows 10? [img] 11111