Windows 10: Stop things in task switcher moving around

Discus and support Stop things in task switcher moving around in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I've tried to search around for an answer to this, but not knowing how to describe the icon/preview things in the alt-tab task switcher, am at a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hellopaul, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Hellopaul Win User

Stop things in task switcher moving around

Hello,
    I've tried to search around for an answer to this, but not knowing how to describe the icon/preview things in the alt-tab task switcher, am at a bit of a loss.

Like on Mac OSX, Windows 10 likes to shuffle everything around in the task switcher, just to slow you down a bit/confuse you/intensely annoy you/make you want to punch Bill Gates in the face. I can imagine car manufacturers adopting this same wonderful technique - wouldn't it be convenient if the pedal on the left is the one you used most recently - if you press the brake, the brake pedal moves to the leftmost position. Then if you press the accelerator, it then moves to the leftmost position. Brilliant, what could possibly go wrong?!

Enough of that - my point is, is there a way to correct this incredibly ridiculous, awful interface bug, and keep everything in the same place unless I close apps/folders etc?

Thanks,
    Paul

:)

Hellopaul, Aug 30, 2018

2. Task Switcher randomly gets stuck cycling windows

Good morning!

I am having an issue with the Task Switcher (see image below) activating on its own. It then begins to cycle through the open tasks very rapidly. When this happens I am unable to actually select any of the tasks, nor can I close them out. Windows is essentially frozen at this point and I have to restart.

A few things to note:

• I am running Windows 10 Pro.
    • This happens randomly, sometimes weeks between an incident.
    • Sometimes it happens while I am not even working at the computer. I've noticed it after returning to my desk.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Stop things in task switcher moving around [​IMG]

Konkey Dong, Aug 30, 2018
  3. GinaXYZ Win User
    Problems with Task Switcher

I use Remote Desktop for some programs as I am working at a remote site. I have always used Task Switcher to flick between this and open windows on my local drive - e.g. if i am entering a list of invoices onto the accounts program from an excel spreadsheet,
    I will flick between excel and Remote Desktop.

This has worked fine up to now, but I have recently changed to a new laptop and now when I use Task Switcher to flick to Remote Desktop, my next key stroke doesn't register?! E.G if I typed 123, it would only be recorded as 23.

The implications could be quite disastrous - as an extreme example if I entered a figure on an invoice of £3 million, it would only be recorded as £300K !! Obviously I can edit it, but when running through a long list quickly it would be easy to miss.

***Post moved to the appropriate forum category***

GinaXYZ, Aug 30, 2018
  4. hilltop Win User

How to create shortcut to Task Switcher?

In Windows 8 and previous, we could execute the Task Switcher shortcut to programmatically bring up the Alt-Tab window without needing to press Alt-Tab. NOTE: This shortcut is located in:
    C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    and is still present in Windows 10 after upgrading from 8.1

This was immensely helpful for setting up a mouse shortcut button to bring up the task switcher. I had mine configured when clicking the middle wheel, the task switcher appeared. Then rolling the wheel allowed selection of the desired active application, and a second click of the wheel selected that application.

After upgrading to Windows 10, the "Task Switcher" shortcut no longer works. When attempting to execute it, nothing happens.

Also on eightforums.com, I discovered a method of creating this shortcut manually (i.e. referencing the appropriate GUID shell action ( Shortcut - Create in Windows 8)

However, this has stopped working in Windows 10.

Is there any way to recover this functionality in Windows 10?

Also, as an added bonus, is there any way to bring up Task View in the same way? Task view shows all virtual desktops and may be a more efficient way of navigating open programs than the Task Switcher.

I'm sure both of these are simply different shell GUID's (similar to the eightforums link above) but I don't know how to go about finding them.

Thank you for any direction!

hilltop, Aug 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Stop things in task switcher moving around - Similar Threads - Stop things task

2. Photos Move around

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos Move around: How do I keep my photos from moving around in a Word document that hasn't got any text it? Just photos. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-move-around/0f7ac266-7b31-49e6-9477-6387ca7e152e
  3. Photos Move around

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos Move around: How do I keep my photos from moving around in a Word document that hasn't got any text it? Just photos. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-move-around/0f7ac266-7b31-49e6-9477-6387ca7e152e
  4. Move Excel window around

in Windows 10 Customization
    Move Excel window around: Stupid question from a beginner: I can't move my excel window around. It opens in the biggest screen and locks there. How do I make it smaller and move it around with my mouse?...
  5. task switcher on all monitors?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    task switcher on all monitors?: I have 3 monitors and the fact that the task switcher (the window selector that appears when I press alt+tab) appears only on one of them is a bit annoying. Is there a way to make it always show on all monitors? submitted by /u/xerces8 [link] [comments]...
  6. Weird outlines around things

Weird outlines around things: there are weird outlines around apps when they aren't full screen and when I right click on the desktop it is all white. i just reinstalled windows. windows 10 there is also a white box over the right click menu when i right click on the desktop...
  7. Desktop Windows Move Around

Desktop Windows Move Around: My open desktop windows move around. I drag them to the center and then later they have moved to the left side. I don't want them to move around. My windows have always stayed where I put them in the past. I have tried to search out solutions to this issue but I only...
  8. Show Programs in System Tray in Task Switcher

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show Programs in System Tray in Task Switcher: I am using Task Switcher with the Alt-Tab shortcut to switch between running programs. I have the program AIMP running and it is minimized to the system tray. I would like to be able to use the Alt-Tab shortcut to quickly re-open AIMP, but it appears that Task Switcher does...
  9. How to create shortcut to Task Switcher?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to create shortcut to Task Switcher?: In Windows 8 and previous, we could execute the Task Switcher shortcut to programmatically bring up the Alt-Tab window without needing to press Alt-Tab. NOTE: This shortcut is located in: C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch and is still...
  10. Task Switcher randomly gets stuck cycling windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Switcher randomly gets stuck cycling windows: Good morning! I am having an issue with the Task Switcher (see image below) activating on its own. It then begins to cycle through the open tasks very rapidly. When this happens I am unable to actually select any of the tasks, nor can I close them out. Windows is...