Windows 10: Stop Windows 10 from automatically reopening programs after it's frozen or has power failure

Discus and support Stop Windows 10 from automatically reopening programs after it's frozen or has power failure in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Scenerio 1: 2:30am in bed at a hotel checking out some adult websites, battery dies and you go to sleep. Next morning plug your laptop power in, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Digomite, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Digomite Win User

Stop Windows 10 from automatically reopening programs after it's frozen or has power failure

Scenerio 1:

2:30am in bed at a hotel checking out some adult websites, battery dies and you go to sleep. Next morning plug your laptop power in, and hook it up to the HDMI for the 2 giants display screens for the 400 people watching you speak at a conference. Next thing you know, they are all seeing the video that was playing when you lost power.

Scenerio 2:

Mother-in-law gets a pop-up for those 1-800 scareware ads. It takes over her whole screen, she can't seem to use the mouse to click shutdown. She doesn't know any keyboard shortcuts, so she unplugs her machine and restarts. Minutes later, same thing happens again, and she's caught in a loop she doesn't have any idea how to escape. This used to be her fail-safe way to get out of things like this, and can't really be expected to learn how to end task on a browser, when she doesn't even know what a "browser" is.

A shutdown shortcut or the "shutdown /s /f /t 0" script won't be very useful for these two situations. Really looking to turn it off completely, to protect people in a future situation.

Seen a suggestion of changing a toggle in Cortana under Notebook about, “Pick Up Where I Left Off”. However, I don't see such an option.

Stop Windows 10 from automatically reopening programs after it's frozen or has power failure 1d1a5dd2-2f6a-49c9-973a-17fa7a61175e?upload=true.png

If it helps, these are Windows 10 Pro machines on Azure AD and don't have the "Sign In" option for automatic updates. These require a PIN or password after a reboot, but still automatically open the previously open programs.

Any registry hacks out there to disable this feature?

Thanks!

:)

Digomite, Mar 1, 2019

2. Programs Reopening after restart in windows 10.

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue.

Yes, 1709 has a slightly buggy instant of Auto Reopen. Hopefully, it will be fixed in a coming update.

Check this :

Stop Auto Reopen of Programs after Restart in Windows 10

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/stop-auto-reo...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Mar 1, 2019
  3. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Mar 1, 2019
  4. jbunch07 Win User

Stop Windows 10 from automatically reopening programs after it's frozen or has power failure

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Resolution Suggestion:

# To resolve this problem, make sure that BITS and the Automatic Updates service are started..

A simple solution but one that works in most circumstances!

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.

4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.

6. In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.

7. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html- source *Smile Stop Windows 10 from automatically reopening programs after it's frozen or has power failure :) hope that helps.

jbunch07, Mar 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Stop Windows 10 from automatically reopening programs after it's frozen or has power failure - Similar Threads - Stop automatically reopening

2. Boot failure but computer has power

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot failure but computer has power: I switched on my 32 bit computer from the power switch on the back ,not from the start-up switch, the power light and my CD player light both came on and the machine is buzzing. My monitor, except for the brand did not show any part of a boot-up. Any ideas what is wrong?...
  3. How to stop Windows 11 from reopening program windows on restart or sign-in

in Windows 10 News
    How to stop Windows 11 from reopening program windows on restart or sign-in: Windows 11 may remember which application windows and File Explorer windows you had open the last time to reopen them again. The browser or Microsoft Excel document, which was open the last time, may be opened automatically on the next start. The feature was introduced in...
  4. Stop programs from reopening themselves after closing them in Task Manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop programs from reopening themselves after closing them in Task Manager: So I know about being able to turn off programs opening themselves after restarting your device, and I know how to manage those apps, but thats not what I'm talking about here. Whenever I go into Task Manager, and I notice a program that has absolutely no need to be open...
  5. Reopening programs from last session on Windows 10 after reboot/restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reopening programs from last session on Windows 10 after reboot/restart: Hi I want to reopen all programs from last session, I saw there is a related thread here, but no answer was given. In the last reply Charlie said there is an option: Settings - Accounts - Sign In Options “Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device...
  6. Windows doesn't reliably reopen programs after a shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows doesn't reliably reopen programs after a shutdown: So I started leaving two Chrome windows open, plus a few other things when I shutdown the PC every night, so they reopen the next day and I can continue where I left off. So far it has happened at least 3 times that Windows 10 reopened only spotify and stickies and not...
  7. How to Stop Windows 10 From Reopening Your Previous Applications After

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Stop Windows 10 From Reopening Your Previous Applications After: "When you shut down or sign out, Windows 10 remembers which applications you had open. It automatically launches them the next time you start your PC. You can disable this if you’d like to sign into a clean desktop." Source: How to Stop Windows 10 From Reopening Your Previous...
  8. Disable reopening programs after windows update restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable reopening programs after windows update restart: Occasionally, a forced restart is happening on my Windows 10 computer. When the OS is restarted every program that I've had prior to the restart is reopened at startup. The programs are reopened like I would just double-click them. I usually hold 5-6 windows of Visual Studio...
  9. Program frozen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program frozen: I downloaded a program on two different PCs (Riffworks). One works fine the other freezes. I recently had to install Windows 10 OS as it had some problems which I couldn't fix but they are still there. Like allowing Adminsistrator privilege which is a nightmare! I have...
  10. Windows 10 will not start after power failure

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not start after power failure: Been running Windows 10 Upgrade for about 1 week now. Everything was working great until a power failure this afternoon. Turned PC back on and got this message " Computer did not shut down correctly" then this message "Preparing automatic repair" then " Diagnosing your PC"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 stop programs from reopening