Windows 10: stop windows 10 from downloading and installing device drivers using windows update

Discus and support stop windows 10 from downloading and installing device drivers using windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; [ATTACH]i am running windows 10 home 1903. i have a discrete graphics card and an integrated graphics card in my laptop. both are malfunctioning due to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by g-naveen, Sep 11, 2019.

1. g-naveen Win User

stop windows 10 from downloading and installing device drivers using windows update

stop windows 10 from downloading and installing device drivers using windows update c72b4cf7-8c7d-415b-b8c5-c4da3c750fc1?upload=true.png i am running windows 10 home 1903. i have a discrete graphics card and an integrated graphics card in my laptop. both are malfunctioning due to incompatibility with windows 10. so i have disabled both of them in the device-manager for the time-being till i take my laptop to a computer repair shop (i am out of station now temporarily.) enabling them causes the machine to get stuck during booting and produces a BSOD everytime. and i have no hopes that these 2 can be repaired back to normal state; or atleast not without spending a huge amount. now my problem is i want to stop windows update from downloading and installing device drivers for both my graphics cards; but windows keeps downloading and installing them and enabling my graphics cards again and again. i have tried the option as shown in the screenshot too, but it is not helping. i dont want to get stuck at BSODs during boot; i dont want to daily waste ~300 MB of limited-metered internet-data; i dont want to leave my OS unpatched by other updates. someone please give me a solution. is there any option in windows 10 to download the updates i select manually (like it was in windows 7)? why has M$ made things difficult for us?

:)

g-naveen, Sep 11, 2019
  2. RCoon Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Sep 11, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    [Windows 10] hide/prohibit install of specific Windows Update

I have never intentionally used windows to provide my device drivers (except for older printers without Vendor drivers for clients). I only manually update from the vendor websites. Will just have to make a list of things to disable/remove if I finally decide to load it up on a machine.

Ahhzz, Sep 11, 2019
  4. R-T-B Win User

stop windows 10 from downloading and installing device drivers using windows update

Windows 10 Tweaks

That doesn't stop windows update from grabbing them on next run, at least it didn't back in the RTM days. It simply stops a secondary process from installing them immediately.

R-T-B, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

1. stop windows 10 from downloading and installing device drivers using windows update - Similar Threads - stop downloading installing

2. How to stop Windows 11 from downloading Drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop Windows 11 from downloading Drivers: I've tried the following instructions from this site to stop Windows 11 from downloading Drivers. It has miserably failed. Here's the site - How to disable automatic driver install on Windows 11 - PureinfotechIs there another way to have Driver updates from automatically...
  3. How to stop Windows 11 from downloading Drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop Windows 11 from downloading Drivers: I've tried the following instructions from this site to stop Windows 11 from downloading Drivers. It has miserably failed. Here's the site - How to disable automatic driver install on Windows 11 - PureinfotechIs there another way to have Driver updates from automatically...
  4. How to stop windows update from installing driver updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop windows update from installing driver updates: I have ASUS Vivobook 16X OLED with AMD Ryzen 7 500H and Radeon built in graphic driver. I've faced an issue with screen flickering which is caused by an outdated graphics software, and AMD recently released an update which solved the issue. Now windows updated forces me to...
  5. How to stop windows update from installing driver updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop windows update from installing driver updates: I have ASUS Vivobook 16X OLED with AMD Ryzen 7 500H and Radeon built in graphic driver. I've faced an issue with screen flickering which is caused by an outdated graphics software, and AMD recently released an update which solved the issue. Now windows updated forces me to...
  6. Cannot download updates in Windows update 10, or install drivers downloaded with other...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot download updates in Windows update 10, or install drivers downloaded with other...: Hello! Hopefully, someone here can help me out. I'm running Windows 10 version 20H2, Build 19042.964I'm attempting to download and install update KB5003173, but receive an error that reads:"There were problems downloading some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep...
  7. Windows 10 Device Driver Updates - from "Windows Update"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Device Driver Updates - from "Windows Update": Isn't this functionality coming back to Windows 10 where you can use "Search for updated drivers on Windows Update" again? It current doesn't work in Windows 10 and I tested an Intel driver update Windows Update said there were none. Not sure who on Microsoft's Product...
  8. Stop Windows From Installing Drivers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop Windows From Installing Drivers: I have a Dell laptop and as anyone who's bought one recently knows, the realtek drivers are absolute garbage causing popping noises and delays in sounds being played with external speakers. Good news is, you can just remove the garbage realtek ones and use the generic AC97...
  9. How to stop Windows Update from autodownloading/installing drivers?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to stop Windows Update from autodownloading/installing drivers?: Hello, Does anyone know how I can stop Windows Updates from automatically downloading and installing device drivers? I've used several registry hacks and the wushowhide.diagcab; however, so far, it doesn't seem to have worked. Windows Update insists on automatically...
  10. Stop Windows 10 upgrades from installing generic device drivers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stop Windows 10 upgrades from installing generic device drivers: Hi When Windows 10 upgrades your existing installation, it will (without even asking you!) install generic "Microsoft" drivers which don't work properly. Every time I've upgraded Windows 10 (currently using 1903), I have to re-install the Broadcom Ethernet device driver,...