Windows 10: Stop Windows 10 from restarting after updates

Discus and support Stop Windows 10 from restarting after updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. In the office we need our systems on 24/7 because we're constantly rendering images and animations. A night of a system not chugging away can cost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Otuama, May 9, 2019.

1. Otuama Win User

Stop Windows 10 from restarting after updates

Hi.

In the office we need our systems on 24/7 because we're constantly rendering images and animations. A night of a system not chugging away can cost us a deadline and client.

I have to stop Windows from shutting down and/or restarting whenever it wants to. We don't want it to, I don't care if it does.

If we have work open, Windows 10 doesn't care and shuts down at random times during the night.

If we haven't saved our work, or for example, I'm doing a fluid simulation, it'll shut down anyway and lose work.

With Win7, you could download updates and choose when to install them. With Windows 10 you can delay a restart but only for a short time.

I'm connected to my office computer and just saw a popup saying that 'we're making your experience better and will restart your pc'.

No. I don't want it to.

I've had to change the snooze time yet again so I can try restart it during office hours.

I've tried to reduce this happening as much as possible by going into the registry but I can't find a permanent solution.

Windows 10 MUST be stopped..... *Confused

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

:)

Otuama, May 9, 2019
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Stop Windows 10 from restarting after updates :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, May 9, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Is it time for Windows 10 already?

I can't get update KB3035583 on my windows 7 SP1 laptop, also I was missing the optional language packs updates, I have tried "resetting" windows updates Windows Update - Reset - Windows 7 Help Forums and I have tried stopping and restarting the windows update service, did not help.
    Would anyone have a suggestion on how to get this KB3035583 update? It's genuine windows 7 SP1 home premium.

Edit: Is this windows 10 upgrade only for people who bought (a computer with) windows 7 SP 1?
    I bought this laptop with windows 7.

Stop Windows 10 from restarting after updates winupdates-jpg.jpg

P4-630, May 9, 2019
  4. R-T-B Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

That doesn't stop windows update from grabbing them on next run, at least it didn't back in the RTM days. It simply stops a secondary process from installing them immediately.

R-T-B, May 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Stop Windows 10 from restarting after updates - Similar Threads - Stop restarting updates

2. Stop automatic restart after windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop automatic restart after windows update: I am running windows server 2019 datacenter edition. How can I stop my servers being restarted automatically after windows update based on active hours setting. Is there any way to stop or change this behavior...
  3. Stop automatic restart after windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop automatic restart after windows update: I am running windows server 2019 datacenter edition. How can I stop my servers being restarted automatically after windows update based on active hours setting. Is there any way to stop or change this behavior...
  4. Windows 10 stops when restarted from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 stops when restarted from sleep: Windows 10 stops when restarted from sleep, but browser runs normally. If browser screen minimised, screen is blank except for minimised browser icon. Browser can be maximised and runs as normal. No Windows toolbar visible on screen. Windows keyboard button does nothing. No...
  5. Windows 10 stops when restarted from sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 stops when restarted from sleep: Windows 10 stops when restarted from sleep, but browser runs normally. If browser screen minimised, screen is blank except for minimised browser icon. Browser can be maximised and runs as normal. No Windows toolbar visible on screen. Windows keyboard button does nothing. No...
  6. Stop Windows from re-opening programs after restart?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop Windows from re-opening programs after restart?: I don't want this feature. I've never wanted it. I don't kick my power button by mistake. I have a UPS. I'm responsible enough to save what I'm working on in frequent intervals. I do not experience data loss. I'm sick of Windows opening Excel, my email and browser back up....
  7. Stop Windows Update from Restarting my Computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop Windows Update from Restarting my Computer: I just lost oh I don't know, umm hours of work again. This has to be the 100th time in my life that my computer decides to restart without asking me and I lost a ton of open working files! It's hilarious because if I try to turn off my pc with programs open it won't let me....
  8. Stop Windows 10 from resetting libraries after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop Windows 10 from resetting libraries after update: I have my music library setup so that it's only %userprofile%\Music. After Windows updates it keeps adding \OneDrive\Music to the library. How can I stop this? submitted by /u/imthewiseguy [link] [comments]...
  9. Stop automatic restarts after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stop automatic restarts after Windows Update: Hi, I've searched, but not found a satisfactory answer. I need to stop windows from automatically restating. As far as I can tell, Windows 10 will automatically restart after updates, and I totally understand it's to force uses to be upto date and therefore safer....
  10. windows 10 - restarts from update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 - restarts from update: Hi everyone, I'm using Windows 10 Home OEM 64Bitand I have the following problem: lately, my PC reboots between 2 and 5 times a day due to updates (windows or from automatic security maintainance). 15 mins before it reboots it warns me, and then after 15mins it just...