Windows 10: Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?

Discus and support Stop Windows 10 from updating ever? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello All Windows 10 Professional x64 Version 1709 build 16299.1087 I have ongoing problems with Windows update and I'm trying to turn it off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AnthonyGiorgianni1, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?

Hello All

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]
    Windows 10 Professional x64 Version 1709 build 16299.1087​
    [/COLOR]

I have ongoing problems with Windows update and I'm trying to turn it off permanently, if possible.

I've had many, many instances in which Windows has tried to update - version 20H2, Version 1903 and 1803.

The problem is that Windows take a long time to update and then either informs me that it can't update, and rolls back to the pervious build until it tries updating again. It keeps giving me different errors codes Or I get a blue screen after the update. I have RollbackRx, so I am able to rollback back to different points, at least one of which will start. But then the whole update process starts again. I keep telling Windows to wait to restart, but it gets really annoying. I've even set update to times when I know I won't be on the computer. But eventually, Windows insists on updating, even restarting on its own if I'm away from the computer. I lose work when this happens.

It's trying to update again as I'm writing this. I've told it once again to wait an hour for the third time today.

The version of Windows I have is just fine. I don't care to update.

Is there any way to stop this permanently?

Note: I've also tried reinstalling Windows, but that fails too, with, in one case at least, giving me a code: page fault in non-page area. It says shield.sys failed, which happens to be RollbackRx. But I don't want to delete Rollback to see if that works, since it's the only thing saving me when I blue screen.

Note that if I try to make a boot disk with this computer Thinkpad W530. that doesn't work either It says I have missing files. I run SFC, but I don't have a copy of Window 10 to do anything, except the Win 10 setup I downloaded from MS, which, as I explained, fails to install.

Any thoughts on how I can just disable this?

Many thanks!

Anthony Giorgianni

:)

AnthonyGiorgianni1, Mar 31, 2021
  2. R-T-B Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

That doesn't stop windows update from grabbing them on next run, at least it didn't back in the RTM days. It simply stops a secondary process from installing them immediately.

R-T-B, Mar 31, 2021
  3. RCoon Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Mar 31, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 31, 2021
Thema:

Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?

1. Stop Windows 10 from updating ever? - Similar Threads - Stop updating ever

2. Permanently Stop Windows 10 from updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Permanently Stop Windows 10 from updating: I want to completely disable windows 10 from updating. Windows update constantly wastes my time and stops running programs to update only to show an error message saying it can not complete the changes and has to revert to the old settings. It will not allow me to set the 7...
  3. Respost "Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?" Juliana and BulldogXX

Respost "Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?" Juliana and BulldogXX: Sorry to post outside the the thread My biggest problem is that once I post to Microsoft Community, I can never find the thread again, even if I search by my name or the thread title. I get email responses, but if I respond to them, they get rejected. If anyone responds with...
  4. How to stop completely auto updates in Windows 10? Windows 10 the worst operating system ever.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to stop completely auto updates in Windows 10? Windows 10 the worst operating system ever.: How can I stop completely absolutely totally forever everlasting getting terrible auto update on Windows 10? I just want to have a simple user-friendly way to turn updates off. I don't need any updates from microsoft. When will the next build with this feature included?...
  5. Worst windows update ever

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Worst windows update ever: Hi, I know it is quite complicated process to update a piece of software and end-up having more bugs for each time you update. I've been using windows since i am using the computer itself but, I've never been so fed up with the OS and made me to reach out here. I lost my 2TB...
  6. STOP windows 10 from rebooting windows update

STOP windows 10 from rebooting windows update: Please Microsoft, stop windows 10 from installing windows update and rebooting automatically. Let ME choose! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-windows-10-from-rebooting-windows-update/c7fbbe51-69ef-4900-8746-ef5b371958b4
  7. How do I stop Windows from restarting my computer, EVER?

How do I stop Windows from restarting my computer, EVER?: I sometimes come back to my computer after a break or in the morning to see that all my programs have been closed down and all my work discarded. I have lost half a dozen unsaved text files with notes and to-do lists. I would have lost hours of client work because of this, if...
  8. Stop Windows 10 from restarting after updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stop Windows 10 from restarting after updates: Hi. In the office we need our systems on 24/7 because we're constantly rendering images and animations. A night of a system not chugging away can cost us a deadline and client. I have to stop Windows from shutting down and/or restarting whenever it wants to. We don't want...
  9. Stop Win-10 from updating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stop Win-10 from updating: I'm the type of user that likes to keep web pages open and un-saved text on my desktop. These are left open only for a day and then saved or deleted at day's end. I have the Windows update set to Ask Me but it doesn't and goes ahead with a full update and reboot. It use to...
  10. Stop Win-10 from updating

in Windows 10 Support
    Stop Win-10 from updating: I'm the type of user that likes to keep web pages open and un-saved text on my desktop. These are left open only for a day and then saved or deleted at day's end. I have the Windows update set to Ask Me but it doesn't and goes ahead with a full update and reboot. It use to...