Windows 10: Stop Windows 10 Updates Properly and Completely

Discus and support Stop Windows 10 Updates Properly and Completely in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Please check out this handy and helpful tool from the staff at the well-known and respected download site MajorGeeks.com (a fellow Texas operation).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by EdTittel, Feb 24, 2018.

1. EdTittel Win User

Stop Windows 10 Updates Properly and Completely

Please check out this handy and helpful tool from the staff at the well-known and respected download site MajorGeeks.com (a fellow Texas operation).
    Download WUMT Wrapper Script - MajorGeeks

--Ed--
    [PS: thanks to Dalchina for suggesting that I retitle this thread to make the content easier to identify and find.]

:)

EdTittel, Feb 24, 2018

2. Stop updates completely

Hi Don,

To address your concern, we suggest that you refer to ProjjalGop's response on this related thread
    for some instructions on how to disable Windows 10 automatic update.

Let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

Michael Tus, Feb 24, 2018
  3. Stop updates completely

590I had to roll back before the crash date on windows 10 because I am on satelite internet and setting it to metered does not help with updates. I pay the highest per bit cost in the states and I simply can't afford updates that I don't choose what I update.
    I mean microsoft can use up all your bandwidth in just a couple of updates and then you simply have paid for nothing and have no more internet.

Metering does not work. When you are actually limited to x amount of gigabytes in data downloads and x amount of speed you can't have software that updates on it's own... you can't... you simply pay for something you don't actually get to use then...

Now if microsoft wants to pay for my internet then it would be ok... but i have yet to be able to find a way to stop it from updating on it's own.

If I can't control what I update and when I simply can't use it, at all.... So someone out there tell my how I go back to the old way of updating so I have control of what and when I update anything.... somethings just don't get updated unless I can get
    an update from someone else on cd. that is just the way it has to be when you pay ungoshly amount of money and are extremely limited on data limits.

so someone plz tell me how to turn it off completely or control what and when i update.. otherwise I will have to stay with 8.1.

thanks

don

DonSilver Surfer, Feb 24, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Thanks Ed- Idea- people might find it more easily with a title something like
    Stop Windows updates properly- until you want them.

(How do you enable them?)

dalchina, Feb 24, 2018
  5. Callender Win User
    I reckon you'd just run WUMT without launching via the script and make your desired changes.

EDIT: That doesn't work. Even a complete reset of WU components will not re-enable Windows Update Service. I know that because I've just needed to manually install an update from .msu file.

Tried wusa.exe "FullPathToUpdate.msu" and Dism++ and both failed because there is no way to start windows update service without WUMT up and running. WU service needs to be running after reboot to complete the install and as soon as WUMT exits it disables the service.

Anyway it's working now:
    Stop Windows 10 Updates Properly and Completely [​IMG]

Important: WUMT Wrapper Script has been updated.

The author has included Configurator.cmd script to allow user to restore update functionality when needed.

You run the script to restore normal Windows Update functionality.

Once update is installed and machine rebooted you can run Windows Update MiniTool.cmd (as administrator) again to go back to manual update checks using the tool with Windows Updates disabled when exiting the GUI.

Updated version including configurator is here:

Download WUMT Wrapper Script - MajorGeeks

Callender, Feb 24, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 24, 2018
  7. shimshom Win User
    shimshom, Feb 25, 2018
  8. pepesito Win User

Yeah I started to use this as soon as windows started to annoy me with FCU. Works like a charm , WUB just disables every update until the script disables it , then runs WUMT , and runs WUB again after closing WUMT. Being able to select the updates manually and not have any unless picking them myself feels good.

pepesito, Feb 25, 2018
  9. mrgeek Win User
    This is exactly what I need to do for a computer I'm supporting now, block an upgrade that keeps trying to install at every startup and failing. Looking at all the tools in the WUMT Wrapper folder, do I run WUMT, hide the undesired update then just run WB (need Defender to update, though) or what is the desired order of running the command scripts ? Run Wrapper, then wumt then WUB ? What's the diff between running Wrapper a 2nd time to reverse and 'uninstall Wrapper script ? TIA, guys

mrgeek, Mar 1, 2018
  10. Callender Win User
    You just run the script by right click run as administrator:

Make your choices and exit. There will be no update checks until you run the script. RE: Windows Defender. I don't use it so can't comment.

RE: Failing update. Before running WUMT you probably need to reset WU:

• Disconnect the computer from the Internet (important) so Windows Update cannot automatically update. Prefer to switch off router.
    • Stop Windows Update Service. If it won't stop switch off router and reboot with no connection and check that it stopped.
    • Run the script here Script Reset Windows Update Agent (right click and run as administrator) choosing option 11 then reboot when finished. Keep router off.
    • Run the script again choose option 2. When finished shut down.
    • Switch on router and boot into windows.
    • Configure update settings (via settings panel) to your preference and launch a Windows Update check.

Hopefully everything works. After that you can run WUMT Wrapper Script for additional control.

Callender, Mar 2, 2018
  11. mrgeek Win User
    " There will be no update checks until you run the script. RE: Windows Defender. I don't use it so can't comment."

Thanks. When I run the Wrapper script, I can check Y to enable Defender and Store updates. That seems to work fine.

"RE: Failing update. Before running WUMT you probably need to reset WU"

We ran WU troubleshooter and all issues were fixed. Ran disable WU but it tried again at shutdown and restart so the Task Scheduler must be triggered. I added your Reset WU Agent script to the toolbox. I'll try hiding the failed update with WUMT first and restart to see if it tries to install and fail again before trying this. Will post feedback after we try tomorrow. Thanks again.

mrgeek, Mar 2, 2018
  12. Callender Win User
  13. pf100 Win User

Original author of the script here (with many contributions).There is some confusion about when the script does what, and that's my fault. I need to make a video or at least provide detailed documentation with pictures. Until then, hopefully I can shed some light on a few things here.
    Okay, here goes:

Before I start, the only file most people need to run in the folder is "Windows Update MiniTool.cmd" which is the script itself. The Uninstaller and Configurator may never be needed depending on how you use it.

When you use the script, it:
    1) Reversibly* disables evil things that forces updates (remsh.exe, USOClient.exe, WaaSMedic.exe, and SIHCLient.exe. Scheduled tasks cannot run them. They can reestablish themselves after an update and reboot, so just run the script and close the first window. No need to check for updates again. Windows Updates do not need these mentioned files. Forced updates do.
    2) after disabling "evil things" it opens the script window with updates still turned off with Windows Update Blocker (WUB). If you close the window updates stay off with WUB.
    3) If you choose to check updates, WUB is turned off which enables Windows Updates, and Windows Update MiniTool (WUMT) is started. Don't change any settings in the lower left of WUMT while using the script.
    4) AFTER you check for updates and BEFORE you close WUMT you can use the store or update Windows Defender or add .net 3.5, everything you normally do while the windows update service is turned on. Just make sure you leave WUMT running while you're doing all this, like this, or you'll have to start over:

5) About the Configurator. If you choose to leave updates on at all times, it will work better at preventing unwanted updates than not using the script at all, but you'll still get windows updates, just not forced major version upgrades (hopefully). I don't use it myself, I only offer it in the hopes that it may help someone. It gives a choice of convenience vs. control.

*Included uninstaller script undoes all changes made by the script.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.

pf100, Mar 21, 2018
  14. Superfly Win User
    Well I don't get it.. stopping WU thru' firewall does the job...or am I the only one?

Superfly, Mar 23, 2018
  15. Callender Win User
    It's very handy for manual control of windows updates in Windows 10 Home. That's what I use it for.

Callender, Mar 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Stop Windows 10 Updates Properly and Completely - Similar Threads - Stop Updates Properly

2. Updates completely stopped working.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates completely stopped working.: After AI installed on my computer Updates completely stopped working. Cannot get History. Troubleshooter cannot find the issue.* Changed to a question https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-completely-stopped-working/8874ea56-49f9-42e0-be4e-c2004cfcac01
  3. Updates completely stopped working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates completely stopped working.: After AI installed on my computer Updates completely stopped working. Cannot get History. Troubleshooter cannot find the issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-completely-stopped-working/8874ea56-49f9-42e0-be4e-c2004cfcac01
  4. Updates completely stopped working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates completely stopped working.: After AI installed on my computer Updates completely stopped working. Cannot get History. Troubleshooter cannot find the issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-completely-stopped-working/8874ea56-49f9-42e0-be4e-c2004cfcac01
  5. Updates completely stopped working.

6. Window 10 update not completed

Window 10 update not completed: Hi, I have tried to update the windows 10 latest version in my Laptop but unable to do so, the installation percentage showing 99% since past 24 hrs, how do I fix the issue please let me know. Note - I have install Windows Assistant...
  7. Windows 10 update will not complete

Windows 10 update will not complete: I had to reload windows on my computer and it is operational and functional but there are a lot of updates to be applied. It downloads and runs but never completes. It sits at 99% on Getting your update ready. I leave it overnight and it never completes. I reboot and...
  8. Windows 10 Home Edition v2018 - STOP WINDOWS UPDATE COMPLETELY

Windows 10 Home Edition v2018 - STOP WINDOWS UPDATE COMPLETELY: Hi I have Windows 10 Home Edition v2018 How do I stop windows update ? every single time i restart my laptop , The windows update starts runs for 20 minutes completes and than upon restart i get message sorry we couldnt complete the updates and than another 20 minutes...
  9. Windows 10 will not complete updates

Windows 10 will not complete updates: Ver: 1803, build: 17134.345 Windows Update tells me that my device is missing important security and quality fixes. When check for updates is selected, it cannot find anything to update. Is this a new bug that is being worked on or a hidden check box that I'm not aware of?...
  10. How to Stop the Updates.......... Completely

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to Stop the Updates.......... Completely: Good afternoon, How do I get the updates to stop. I want to do a COMPLETE stop of the updates. 106312