Windows 10: Stop Windows Defender from deleting any files automatically

Discus and support Stop Windows Defender from deleting any files automatically in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've discovered today on two computers that Windows Defender has deleted the installed application "Process Hacker" without my authorisation. The... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ygoe, Dec 4, 2019.

1. ygoe Win User

Stop Windows Defender from deleting any files automatically

I've discovered today on two computers that Windows Defender has deleted the installed application "Process Hacker" without my authorisation. The program file was simply gone today. Killed without a trace, including the scheduled task that starts it at boot, not to be found again. After I discovered that the issue was that the .exe file was deleted, I tried to reinstall it, and it was deleted again right away. I even had to restore the setup package from the scanner configuration window.

I strongly hate things that delete my data without asking me. I recognise this as malware and am willing to get rid of it quickly. This time it's the virus scanner that did it.

A virus scanner, of any brand, on any system, never actually had to find viruses or malware on my computers ever. The only thing this type of software did for me was deleting useful and required files as false positive every once in a while. I'm wondering why I've even got a virus scanner installed on my system. At least Windows Defender is free and doesn't cost me any money for no value.

But every virus scanner I used until now let me decide what to do when it thinks it finds something it knows. Except Windows Defender. It always deletes files right away. I couldn't find an option to select the default action.

So it deletes files now. I want it to block access but never touch any files. How can I do that? Is it possible at all? Or will I have to switch the virus scanner (again) to ensure my data isn't lost at any time?

I'm not talking about file or directory exclusions. That's a different topic. I'm talking about the general default action for all files and directories.

:)

ygoe, Dec 4, 2019
  2. P4-630 Win User

SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    https://forum.raymond.cc/threads/let-your-windows-8-defender-update-itself-automatically.34359/

P4-630, Dec 4, 2019
  3. File ATLAS_DRV64.exe gets deleted automatically

I am using a Terasic DE0-Nano-SoC which connects to the PC via USB and attaches a drive, "G:" in this instance. Something keeps automatically deleting the file "ATLAS_DRV64.exe" in the path "\Drivers\Windows\". On my other computers which do not have Windows
    Defender, everything is OK, this file is not deleted.

I am running a laptop with Windows 10. I can access a program and the window has a title "Windows Defender", but I cannot find the security center. I could not find any type of exclusion list.

How can I stop this file "ATLAS_DRV64.exe" from being deleted?

LawrenceMiller1, Dec 4, 2019
  4. Stop Windows Defender from deleting any files automatically

Windows Defender automatically disabled

Hi Ahmad,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to place the computer in safe mode and check if the Windows Defender works.

Method 1:

Step 1: Start computer in safe mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select
      Safe mode and then press Enter.

Step 2: Try to
    run the Windows Defender in safe mode

Steps:

• Press Windows key and type Windows Defender.
    • Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
    • It may prompts you to enter the password.

Method 2: If the issue still persists, place the computer in normal mode and check for the Windows Defender services.

Step 1: Place the computer in normal mode.

• Press Windows + R keys to open
      Run command.
    • Type msconfig and press
      Enter
    • In the System Configuration
      window, click on General tab.
    • Select Start-up selection as Normal startup, click on Apply and Ok.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Step 2: Once you are in normal mode, I suggest you to check for the
    Windows Defender services.

• Press Windows + R keys to open
      Run command.
    • Type services.msc and press
      Enter
    • Search for Windows Defender, right click on it and
      start the service.
    • Also, set the Startup type to
      Automatic.
    • Do the same for Windows Defender Network Inspection Service.
    • Now check if you are able to access Windows Defender.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 4, 2019
Thema:

Stop Windows Defender from deleting any files automatically

1. Stop Windows Defender from deleting any files automatically - Similar Threads - Stop Defender deleting

2. Files automatically deleting themselves from computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files automatically deleting themselves from computer: So I've been trying to download a ZIP folder, but every single time after I download it, within 10 seconds it automatically gets deleted from my computer. And I mean PERMANENTLY deleted, not just sent to the Recycle Bin.Is anyone able to help me with this? Extra context: The...
  3. how to prevent Microsoft Defender from deleting automatically?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to prevent Microsoft Defender from deleting automatically?: how to prevent Microsoft Defender from deleting automatically? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-microsoft-defender-from-deleting/3aa388b1-0dc3-460b-8f72-0a3f22b09a63
  4. how to prevent Microsoft Defender from deleting automatically?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to prevent Microsoft Defender from deleting automatically?: how to prevent Microsoft Defender from deleting automatically? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-microsoft-defender-from-deleting/3aa388b1-0dc3-460b-8f72-0a3f22b09a63
  5. Is there a setting to stop OneDrive from trying to delete files or is there any safe way to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a setting to stop OneDrive from trying to delete files or is there any safe way to...: I've had my laptop for a few months now, and I've never had problems with it, but ever since I downloaded the latest update for my laptop, I have had many problems with OneDrive. I have been playing Fallout 4 recently and never experienced any problems, but after the latest...
  6. Defender Real-Time protection, stop deleting files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Real-Time protection, stop deleting files?: I have this folder with files and every time I use these files, real-time protections is turned back on (automatically) after a couple minutes or hours and then later when ONLY I run the file, it'll delete what's it deems "necessary" and then I have to go deep into the...
  7. How to prevent windows defender from deleting exe files automatically in *Windows 8**

How to prevent windows defender from deleting exe files automatically in *Windows 8**: I don't know what to do. It deletes GTA 4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-prevent-windows-defender-from-deleting-exe/397f8d1c-cb85-4c8b-b573-2de844228eb5
  8. Windows defender is deleted from my pc automatically. Windows Defender app not showing up.

Windows defender is deleted from my pc automatically. Windows Defender app not showing up.: When i search for windows defender this comes up and i dont see any options which were available earlier. Even my Antivirus was deleted automatically.Please help.[ATTACH]...
  9. stop defender from auto deleting files

stop defender from auto deleting files: How do I make defender ask before deleting files it thinks are viruses? I have some files that I know are good. I have been using them for years. Defender keeps deleting them without asking me....
  10. Windows Defender automatically delete malvare softvare

Windows Defender automatically delete malvare softvare: Hi all, can anyone advise me to disable the app in order for Windows defender to remove malicious software. This is an application with the .exe extension, as soon as the application apps into a given folder, windows defender in windows 8.1 automatically removes the software....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender keeps deleting file

2. stop defender from deleting files