Windows 10: Stopping computer from trying to install Windows 10 updates

Discus and support Stopping computer from trying to install Windows 10 updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a computer that is a total of TWO WEEKS old. It has tried to install Windows 10 updates twice, and failed both times. Both times it has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Critiquer, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Critiquer Win User

Stopping computer from trying to install Windows 10 updates

I have a computer that is a total of TWO WEEKS old.

It has tried to install Windows 10 updates twice, and failed both times. Both times it has been at incredibly inconvenient times, and blocked me from using my computer for 45 minutes or more.

Both times, when it reverted its updates, it returned me to a login screen that DID NOT accept my password. The suggested resolution for this is a complete re-install of Windows.

Both times, I held down the hard restart button for 30 seconds, and it did a further uninstall to revert to the previous state, allowing me to log in (which was a great relief).

How do I (1) stop the update from trying to install and blocking me out a third time; and (2) have the schmucks at Windows make their upgrades work, so that brand-new computers aren't at risk of being left as useless lumps of technology?

I look forward to any reasonable response

:)

Critiquer, Oct 15, 2018
  2. R-T-B Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

That doesn't stop windows update from grabbing them on next run, at least it didn't back in the RTM days. It simply stops a secondary process from installing them immediately.

R-T-B, Oct 15, 2018
  3. RCoon Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Oct 15, 2018
  4. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

1. Stopping computer from trying to install Windows 10 updates - Similar Threads - Stopping computer trying

2. How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer: There's an update that keeps failing. Windows restarts, updates, fails of course, and then rolls back. This happens every other day or so. I'm losing a fk ton of work all the time because when windows rolls back, stuff I was working on gets closed and work lost.This is so...
  3. How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer: There's an update that keeps failing. Windows restarts, updates, fails of course, and then rolls back. This happens every other day or so. I'm losing a fk ton of work all the time because when windows rolls back, stuff I was working on gets closed and work lost.This is so...
  4. How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can I stop a KB update from installing - for good? It keeps trying and failing windows 10

Can I stop a KB update from installing - for good? It keeps trying and failing windows 10: Hello folks... My windows 10 computer keeps trying to install a windows KB update called KB5000808. I understand this update is for a printer issue which I do not have. I would like to perinatally stop Microsoft windows update from trying to install this update. I have...
  6. Stop an update from installing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop an update from installing: I have some software the is no longer supported but is needed in our work environment. When KB4569745 installs it messes up the system. It has something to do with .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.0 and when it installs it creates havoc with certain ports that the software needs to...
  7. How to stop Windows 10 1903 from trying to install.

How to stop Windows 10 1903 from trying to install.: I cannot run that update, my AMD-FX 4350 Quad-Core processor does not meet the minimum requirements to run it. I cannot remember the exact thing manually installing the update told me it didn't have. Xsomethingsomething I think. If someone's hardware can't run an update it...
  8. how to stop windows 10 update from re-installing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    how to stop windows 10 update from re-installing: Hi, Can you tell me how to stop certain windows 10 update from re-installing. I have HP zbook G5 with docking station, after windows doing the update, sometimes when I press power button from docking station, for some reason the notebook doesn't start up, so I have to...
  9. Windows Update 1809 will not stop trying to install...

Windows Update 1809 will not stop trying to install...: Hello, So my current problem (with an acer aspire which I have had for TWO WEEKS) is the 'windows feature update 1809' seems to have downloaded but will not stop trying to install it even after numerous failed attempts. I want to remove this update from my computer but I am...
  10. How to stop Windows from trying to download updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to stop Windows from trying to download updates: Hi I have new PC running W10 Home and I have installed and activated Office XP on it. Windows Update is trying to install updates for Office XP but they will not download and a "TRY AGAIN" link comes up up when I click on it Windows tries for a few seconds then the message...