Windows 10: Stopping the grouping of Downloads folder by date modified FOREVER

Discus and support Stopping the grouping of Downloads folder by date modified FOREVER in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi All, The first beauty I've discovered following my recent corporate W10 upgrade to build 10.0.18363.1198 it is that the Downloads folder keeps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dandreye, Dec 7, 2020.

1. dandreye Win User

Stopping the grouping of Downloads folder by date modified FOREVER

Hi All,

The first beauty I've discovered following my recent corporate W10 upgrade to build 10.0.18363.1198 it is that the Downloads folder keeps getting sorted by date modified no matter what. I switch to View, go to Group By and select None there, after which it lasts a while a few or several hours, perhaps even a day - and soon after I notice it sorting by date modified again. Do I have to save my preference somehow, so that it stops overriding it now and then?

Thanks in advance!

:)

dandreye, Dec 7, 2020

2. Downloads Folder - Grouping by Date Modified

Since the Windows update in June, my Downloads folder is grouping by date modified. I have changed this in File Explorer, but I can't see how to change it when I am saving a file. For instance, if I download an update or a new app, I usually save it to
    a folder in Downloads. Now, I can't find the folder I want because the contents are no longer listed alphabetically. How can I change this so that the contents show alphabetically as they do in other Folders?

Stopping the grouping of Downloads folder by date modified FOREVER 539a0702-259d-4acf-91ea-c43d3f73c386?upload=true.png

BunnyBanshee, Dec 7, 2020
  3. Downloads Folder - Grouping by Date Modified

Thanks for answering so quickly. Unfortunately, this did not help. It changed the view in File Explorer, which I had already done by changing the Grouping to 'none'. When I followed the steps you mentioned, the view in Explorer went back to grouping
    by date modified, and I had to change it back to grouping by 'none' again. The problem I am having is when saving a file. In File Explorer, it groups alphabetically, in Save As, it groups by date modified. I want it to group alphabetically. This is File
    Explorer ...

Stopping the grouping of Downloads folder by date modified FOREVER 8c11990f-28c9-4fae-a9d7-dd4aeaf8c66d?upload=true.png

As you can see, it groups alphabetically. Then there is Save As ...

Stopping the grouping of Downloads folder by date modified FOREVER afd9b1e7-9ed7-4a19-91f3-83d38392e52b?upload=true.png

Both are grouped differently. I can't see how to change this.

BunnyBanshee, Dec 7, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

folder sorting by date modified

Hi wingocustom

Open the downloads folder in File Explorer

On the View Tab, choose Group By - None

Then set the view to Details and click on the Date Modified to toggle the sort by date modified ascending or descending . . .

DaveM121, Dec 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Stopping the grouping of Downloads folder by date modified FOREVER - Similar Threads - Stopping grouping Downloads

2. Why is the date modified on a folder earlier than the date modified in that folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the date modified on a folder earlier than the date modified in that folder?: In File Explorer, it shows in "Documents" it shows:Folder: Document - Date Modified 1/30/2024 10:51 AMFolder: Miscellaneous - Date Modified 9/13/2023 8:15 AMSubfolder: Home - Date Modified 7/3/2023 2:19 PMSubfolder: Miscellaneous - Date Modified 7/22/2021 11:44AMSubfolder:...
  3. Why is the date modified on a folder earlier than the date modified in that folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is the date modified on a folder earlier than the date modified in that folder?: In File Explorer, it shows in "Documents" it shows:Folder: Document - Date Modified 1/30/2024 10:51 AMFolder: Miscellaneous - Date Modified 9/13/2023 8:15 AMSubfolder: Home - Date Modified 7/3/2023 2:19 PMSubfolder: Miscellaneous - Date Modified 7/22/2021 11:44AMSubfolder:...
  4. Windows 10 Pro 19042 explorer download folder group by date modified bug

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Pro 19042 explorer download folder group by date modified bug: Windows 10 Pro 19042 explorer download folder group by date modified bug will not stay on sort by none after it switches to sort by date modified. I can reset to ort by none, then click view and then options, then view in folder options, then click Apply To Folders and OK,...
  5. Downloads folder keeps resetting to group by date

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Downloads folder keeps resetting to group by date: Same issue posted here but I can't comment because it's "archived". The old post says it happened last year, but for me it has been going on for the past 2-3 months only. My normal layout for this folder is : no grouping, detailed view, added "creation date column" and sort...
  6. Group by date in download...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Group by date in download...: Hi there, hopefully someone can help as both google and MS forums have proven incredibly unhelpful... I'm really annoyed by the grouping in the downloads folder, have no idea what fumes MS were high on when they decided to make this feature preapplied, but it's the best...
  7. User download folder has filed grouped by 'date modified' every reboot... any ideas?

User download folder has filed grouped by 'date modified' every reboot... any ideas?: [Windows 10 Pro Build 1909, issue has existed since Build 1903] Summary: User download folder has files grouped together by 'Date Modified, and regroups every login not saving settings of turning grouping off. Steps to reproduce: - Open Explorer, and browse to User Folder...
  8. Downloads Folder - Grouping by Date Modified

Downloads Folder - Grouping by Date Modified: Since the Windows update in June, my Downloads folder is grouping by date modified. I have changed this in File Explorer, but I can't see how to change it when I am saving a file. For instance, if I download an update or a new app, I usually save it to a folder in...
  9. Restore Display view for files grouped by Date Modified in Downloads folder

in Windows 10 News
    Restore Display view for files grouped by Date Modified in Downloads folder: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The File Explorer allows users to group the files by Date, File size, Type, Size, or None. However, now, Windows 10 users have reported that their files in Downloads folder are grouped by Date modified, and they have been unable [...] This post Restore...
  10. Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely

Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely: On Windows 10, latest updates installed (which is what caused this problem in the first place). I do not want this crazy "grouped by date" in the Downloads folder, I have a fairly elaborate folder setup in there and "grouped by date" means I cannot find anything any more. I...