Windows 10: Stopping windows moving across multiple monitors after sleep

Discus and support Stopping windows moving across multiple monitors after sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I used to have an Lenovo PC with 2 monitors. Things worked, not noise after sleeping and windows stayed on the monitor they were on after screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Condry, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Condry Win User

Stopping windows moving across multiple monitors after sleep

I used to have an Lenovo PC with 2 monitors. Things worked, not noise after sleeping and windows stayed on the monitor they were on after screen sleep. Now I have had 2 HPs with new monitors connected with HDMI. First, after screen sleep it makes connect and disconnect sounds and in time will move windows from the external one to the main one. Why???? I have seen many reports on this, no solutions. I expect the HDMI connection communicates the wrong "codes" to Windows and then Windows messes up. Can this be fixed?

:)

Condry, Feb 3, 2021
  2. HBT_265 Win User

Open windows in multiple monitors move around after sleep/lock

I am running the latest version of Windows 10 Home 64-bit on multiple monitors.

After I stop using my PC and Windows goes into sleep mode, the windows I left open in different monitors move around on their own to other monitors. This happens to browser windows and various app windows (including O365 windows).

I recently upgraded from a 32-bit to 64-bit system. I had the same multiple monitor configuration on the 32-bit system and everything worked fine. The problem started after I upgraded to the 64-bit system on a new machine.

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 graphics card I use has the latest drivers and Windows 10 has all current updates.

Is there a way to ensure the open windows stay in their original position after the system goes to sleep?

HBT_265, Feb 3, 2021
  3. Windows move about on multiple monitor wake up

Hi Gareth,

The issue is most likely with the graphics driver. Whenever a single monitor from a multiple display setup in Windows, it will attempt to move everything from that screen onto the remaining screens. Usually, this issue should not occur when suspending, hibernating,
    or shutting down. Having said that, we suggest that you update the graphics driver by following the steps on this link:

Update drivers in Windows 10

In case that the issue persists after following the steps on the link above, we suggest that you update the graphics driver by going to the chipset manufacturer's website.

Let us know how it goes.

Janeane Cru, Feb 3, 2021
  4. Larry3408 Win User

Multiple Monitors Changing During Sleep Mode

My monitors change their assignments when my computer goes into sleep mode. Any suggestions as to how to keep this from happening?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Larry3408, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Stopping windows moving across multiple monitors after sleep - Similar Threads - Stopping moving across

2. Maximize window on multiple monitors setup maximizes across all monitors.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximize window on multiple monitors setup maximizes across all monitors.: Hi,I have a setup where my laptop is attached to 2 additional monitors, so now I have a 3 monitor setup.Sometimes when I have a window and click the maximize button, instead of maximizing on the active monitor, it maximizes it across all 3 monitors. which makes it completely...
  3. Sleep mode, multiple monitors and apps moving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep mode, multiple monitors and apps moving: I have a W11 laptop hooked up to two external monitors. The computer is set to go to sleep mode when the lid is closed. I have Teams running on the laptop's screen. When I open the laptop to continue work in the morning, the application has migrated to an external monitor. It...
  4. Sleep mode, multiple monitors and apps moving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep mode, multiple monitors and apps moving: I have a W11 laptop hooked up to two external monitors. The computer is set to go to sleep mode when the lid is closed. I have Teams running on the laptop's screen. When I open the laptop to continue work in the morning, the application has migrated to an external monitor. It...
  5. Is there a way to snap a window across multiple monitors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to snap a window across multiple monitors?: Adobe Premiere Pro takes up a lot of screen space so I typically run it on both monitors 24" x2. Is there a way to lock it across both? Currently it's floating in order to stretch across. I have marked the approximate location of the split point between monitors with a green...
  6. Is there a way to snap a window across multiple monitors?

Is there a way to snap a window across multiple monitors?: Adobe Premiere Pro takes up a lot of screen space so I typically run it on both monitors 24" x2. Is there a way to lock it across both? Currently it's floating in order to stretch across. I have marked the approximate location of the split point between monitors with a green...
  7. Windows 10, display: multiple monitor background stops spanning after sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10, display: multiple monitor background stops spanning after sleep: MS Windows 10 home, version 10.0.19044 build 19044,i7-6700K @ 4GHz cpu with 16 GB RAM, 237 GB M2 SSD,AMD Radeon RX-480 graphics with two ASUS 27 inch LCD monitors.After boot, each background panorama picture is correctly spanned across both displays. But if my PC goes to...
  8. Windows 10, display: multiple monitor background stops spanning after sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10, display: multiple monitor background stops spanning after sleep: MS Windows 10 home, version 10.0.19044 build 19044,i7-6700K @ 4GHz cpu with 16 GB RAM, 237 GB M2 SSD,AMD Radeon RX-480 graphics with two ASUS 27 inch LCD monitors.After boot, each background panorama picture is correctly spanned across both displays. But if my PC goes to...
  9. Windows 10, display: multiple monitor background stops spanning after sleep

10. Open windows in multiple monitors move around after sleep/lock

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Open windows in multiple monitors move around after sleep/lock: I am running the latest version of Windows 10 Home 64-bit on multiple monitors. After I stop using my PC and Windows goes into sleep mode, the windows I left open in different monitors move around on their own to other monitors. This happens to browser windows and various...