Windows 10: Storage devices not accessible internal, external

Discus and support Storage devices not accessible internal, external in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The accessibility of internal and external usb storage devices has become blocked in Windows 11 complete with all latest updates. This concerns an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JanBouman, Sep 30, 2022.

1. JanBouman Win User

Storage devices not accessible internal, external

The accessibility of internal and external usb storage devices has become blocked in Windows 11 complete with all latest updates. This concerns an internal Samsung SSD 859 EVO 500GB Drive SSD and an internal TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB drive DVD and any external usb storage device. Both drives, including external usb storage devices, have always worked properly until now.In my computer I have five internal storage drives: C: Samsung SSD 500G, system drive, D: Harddisk, 2T, E: Samsung SSD 500G and F: DVD Drive.E: and F: have problems. Access to any external usb device is also blocked

:)

JanBouman, Sep 30, 2022

2. Internal Storage Devices swap drive letters

The machine has a M.2 PCLe NVMe SSD (the system drive), an internal HDD storage drive, and an internal optical drive
    The SATA controller was set as RAID at the factory. I never enabled RAID on the system by any means to create RAID volumes.

The BIOS lets me change the SATA Controller to RAID or to AHCI.
    I recently made the change from RAID to AHCI in the BIOS using safemode boot procedure steps.

Something I didn’t expect happening during this change was the internal optical Drive and the internal HDD swapping drive letters.
    Maybe I’m being a little overly apprehensive. If the data can't be restored one day for whatever reason, would keeping the drive letters the way they are assigned now and making all new backups of personal data, and creating new DVD rescue disks, and new backup DVD’s be the more prudent step to ensure the data integrity for the lack of a better term ?

It's easy to reassign the drive letters following the excellent tutorial
    “Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10 by @Brink which offers a way for correcting this on-board SATA port redirection that maybe occurred or whatever, except.....
    every DVD burned, every personal file ever backed up on the external drive using SyncBackFree, the rescue DVD, all originally created with the opposite drive letters, draws concern of potential file unrestorability, and DVD data unreliability.

I only mention my skepticism changing the drive letter of a storage device back to what it originally was and potentially not being able to restore back ups only because some have attested that trying to restore personal files to the internal HDD lead to headaches.

Any comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Not to get off the subject but,
    The Storage controller driver that installed is a Standard Microsoft NVMe driver. Any suggestions on this generic driver are also very much appreciated.

Jaguwaar20, Sep 30, 2022
  3. Internal Storage devices being detected as removable devices

Hi,

I would suggest you to update your storage controller driver.

Method 1: Update Storage Controller Driver

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Update Driver Software.
    • Wait for sometime and check if the issue persists.
    • Restart your system.
    Method 2: Uninstall and then reinstall Storage Controller driver from the Manufacturer's Website

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Uninstall.
    • Now, go to the Manufacturer's website and download the latest storage controller driver.
    • Once the download is complete, double-click and run the setup file to complete installation.
    • Restart your system.
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Sep 30, 2022
  4. Storage devices not accessible internal, external

Can't Access Either of My External Drives After 14393

Hi Michael,

To better assist you with your concern, I would like to ask if you're getting any error messages when accessing your external drives? If yes, can you provide us with the exact error message?

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Go to Device Manager.
    • Click on USB Mass Storage.
    • Right click on your USB, and then click on Update Driver Software.
    • Once done, check if you can access your external drives.

Regards.

Ruizell Rey, Sep 30, 2022
Thema:

Storage devices not accessible internal, external

1. Storage devices not accessible internal, external - Similar Threads - Storage devices accessible

2. Storage devices not accessible internal, external

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage devices not accessible internal, external: The accessibility of internal and external usb storage devices has become blocked in Windows 11 complete with all latest updates. This concerns an internal Samsung SSD 859 EVO 500GB Drive SSD and an internal TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB drive DVD and any external usb storage...
  3. Access Denied To External Storage Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access Denied To External Storage Device: I use Shadow PC shadow.tech and they have port forwarding which I have working. My device shows up in the file explorer as my D drive, but when I go to open it, I get a dialogue with the header, "Location is not available," and next to a big red X, it reads, "D:\ is not...
  4. Access Denied To External Storage Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access Denied To External Storage Device: I use Shadow PC shadow.tech and they have port forwarding which I have working. My device shows up in the file explorer as my D drive, but when I go to open it, I get a dialogue with the header, "Location is not available," and next to a big red X, it reads, "D:\ is not...
  5. Access Denied To External Storage Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Can you expand internal storage with storage devices?

Can you expand internal storage with storage devices?: So I have a desktop PC running windows 10, with 50 GB of storage. 50 GB is not enough for me, so I want to expand it, but I also don't want to spend a lot of money on new internal hard drives since the device is pretty old. But I have a lot of USBs and external storage...
  7. Search in external storage device

in Cortana
    Search in external storage device: How can I search a word in documents that are in an external storage device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-in-external-storage-device/8d5abdd3-c417-47cd-9f15-8449fe238e3e
  8. Internal Storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Storage: Hello, I recently purchased a 1TB internal storage laptop for my nephews and I wanted to know why the storage has been divided to two? 500GB to each one of us. Can I give more storage for him since he will be the one who will be using this more than me for his school. Or is...
  9. External Device Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Device Access: Hi all. I've been trying to access files from my cameras cfast card through a usb card reader, when I insert the device my computer makes a noise and certainly recognises the device yet I can't access it whatsoever. The device is listed as VLI Product String. Does anyone...
  10. Hitachi External Storage Device

Hitachi External Storage Device: Cannot get my Hatachi External Storage device to be recognized, using plug and play. Is there a driver that I need to download? If so, where can I find it?...