Windows 10: Storage drives show up in Bios as bootable, but aren't meant to boot from. How to delete?

Discus and support Storage drives show up in Bios as bootable, but aren't meant to boot from. How to delete? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Running the latest windows 10 version and have multiple drives I use for different storage types. One of them has an option to boot when I look at my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Theme57, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Theme57 Win User

Storage drives show up in Bios as bootable, but aren't meant to boot from. How to delete?

Running the latest windows 10 version and have multiple drives I use for different storage types. One of them has an option to boot when I look at my drives in the BIOS and in Computer Management I am unsure which partition I need to delete so it doesn't appear as a boot option.

Question: On a drive windows didn't boot from not the C: path what parition from my other drives would windows see it as bootable media when I am viewing everything in Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management?

:)

Theme57, Dec 5, 2020
  2. zvit Win User

Missing Bootable devices in BIOS after removing Ubuntu dual boot

Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, OB build 19041.572

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH mb. My BIOS has been set to UEFI for a while now and I had no issues with it. When I needed to boot into some live cd or flash drive, I would press F12 at boot and have a list of bootable devices to choose from. I also saw all of these devices in the BIOS, where I could choose them for a boot order.

I found myself using Ubuntu quite often with the “try ubuntu” option, so last week I decided to install it as a dual boot. I used a secondary hard drive for the Ubuntu partitions (not C.) After a few days, I decided to get rid of the dual boot. I went through all the steps to delete it; deleting the ubuntu partitions, and using diskpart to get GRUB removed from the boot loader. Although after this, the computer would boot right into Windows, for some reason, the ubuntu was still listed in bcdedit /enum firmware, so I also used bcdedit /delete to delete that.

Here’s the issue that I have now:

When I press F12 to boot into a live CD (or flash drive), the only boot option is Windows. In my BIOS, in the boot order section, I can only choose Windows; there is no more list of all my drives and CD ROM to choose to boot from.

The only way to get back the list of bootable devices is if I switch the “Boot Mode Selection” from “UFEI only” to anything else, like “UEFI and LEGACY” or “LEGACY only.”

However, if I switch to anything other than “UEFI only,” the computer won’t boot into windows; I get an error saying, “Reboot and select proper boot device.”

I am 99% sure that before I did the dual boot, I had “UEFI and LEGACY” selected in the BIOS and in Windows System information, it would show that my BIOS is UEFI.

What I need now is to be able to see a list of bootable devices in my BIOS, including my CD ROM, so that I can choose to boot from a CD or flash drive when desired, and of course, that my computer should boot into Windows when I just want to boot normally.

Notes:

1. Fast boot is disabled.
    2. I read that Secure boot should be disabled but I don’t have that setting.
    3. I read that CSM should be disabled but I don’t have that setting.
    4. My C drive (SSD) is GPT, Active & System.

Any suggestions?

zvit, Dec 5, 2020
  3. Hari Rana Win User
    Hard drive not showing in BIOS or Bootable Drive

I reinstalled windows 7 on my HP laptop and recently installed Windows 10 for dual-boot. Then, my laptop had a Blue Screen of Death (crashed) and it turned on again without booting in Windows 7 or 10 and it didn't even recognize my hard drive. I went into
    the BIOS and my hard drive didn't even show up. I created a Windows 10 bootable drive and I tried reinstalling Windows 10 on my laptop and again, the hard drive didn't show up so I couldn't reinstall Windows 10. I have the HP Pavilion g7 notebook.

Hari Rana, Dec 5, 2020
  4. Chewy Win User

Storage drives show up in Bios as bootable, but aren't meant to boot from. How to delete?

Ipod bootable drive?

I want to know if I can make my ipod a usb bootable drive.. will it mess up my ipod? I need to flash my video card back to normal.. Neros bootable cd gave me an error. I used a step by step guide, but thats another story.

Chewy, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Storage drives show up in Bios as bootable, but aren't meant to boot from. How to delete? - Similar Threads - Storage drives show

2. Bootable drive not booting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bootable drive not booting?: I recently used MiniTool partition wizard to move my windows drive from a 240GB SSD to a 1TB NVME SSD. I followed a Youtube tutorial and made it to the end, my pc was fully working and was running of the NVME drive. But it had the name of my old drive, then i went to rename...
  3. Bootable drive not booting?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bootable drive not booting?: I recently used MiniTool partition wizard to move my windows drive from a 240GB SSD to a 1TB NVME SSD. I followed a Youtube tutorial and made it to the end, my pc was fully working and was running of the NVME drive. But it had the name of my old drive, then i went to rename...
  4. Bootable drive not booting?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. The BIOS will not let me boot from an secondary drive, it shows up but i can not boot from it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The BIOS will not let me boot from an secondary drive, it shows up but i can not boot from it.: Hi! I am not sure if this is the right place for a question like this but I'll ask it anyway. I have 4 drives both HDD's and SSD's and multiple operating systems on my computer, however, I can only boot from one of the drives. All the drives show up in BIOS and windows file...
  6. The BIOS will not let me boot from an secondary drive, it shows up but i can not boot from it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The BIOS will not let me boot from an secondary drive, it shows up but i can not boot from it.: Hi! I am not sure if this is the right place for a question like this but I'll ask it anyway. I have 4 drives both HDD's and SSD's and multiple operating systems on my computer, however, I can only boot from one of the drives. All the drives show up in BIOS and windows file...
  7. The BIOS will not let me boot from an secondary drive, it shows up but i can not boot from it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Windows bootable usb not showing in bios

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows bootable usb not showing in bios: This is my first time installing windows 10 and when i check the boot manager there are three options:1.From my hardrive 2.Usb pendriveUEFI3.From a EFI fileShould i boot from the second option?Also iam using usb 3.1...
  9. Boot drive showing in BIOS but not bootable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot drive showing in BIOS but not bootable: For some reason when I tried to boot of my SSD this morning, it wasn't showing up as bootable. I tried running windows repair, but that didn't recognise the drive as having windows on it. The drive should be bootable because I have booted off of it multiple times before. Any...
  10. Windows booting up to Bios showing no bootable device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows booting up to Bios showing no bootable device: I was using my PC one second and it suddenly crashed and since then has been opening up to Bios only. I've tried rebooting but doesn't appear to be working[IMG][IMG]...