Windows 10: Storage filling up and emptying by itself without a clear cause

Discus and support Storage filling up and emptying by itself without a clear cause in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Yesterday i got a pop up on windows alerting me of my C drive running out of space, this surprised me as i don't use that drive for anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mateo Vargas, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Storage filling up and emptying by itself without a clear cause

Hello,

Yesterday i got a pop up on windows alerting me of my C drive running out of space, this surprised me as i don't use that drive for anything but windows and a few apps, Kaspersky, Adobe Creative Cloud (the programs themselves are installed on my other drives and so is the scratch disk location), League of Legends, my graphics card driver (Zotac - nvidia Geforce 1080) and Windows Office. Regardless it has been filled with small extensions of my other programs that i suppose require to be installed on the OS drive, Ituneshelper, bonjour, winrar, logitech(my mouse and keyboard) intel and realtek drivers etc... this didn't really bother me as they are mostly small files and my drive is an SSD NVme with 512 Gb (475 useable) and on a normal day no more than 200Gb would be occupied.

So imagine my surprise when i open windows explorer to double check the accuracy of the space alert pop up and i find that i have no space left whatsoever on my C drive, i open disk cleanup and i see an option to compress my OS claiming that it would free up to 108 Gb, i press ok, it claims to work on it and a few minutes later it dissapears without changing anything with the excpetion of maybe 30 mb now free on my drive, i think to myself that perhaps a new automatic update from microsoft may be bugged or giving misreading (i dont really trust windows explorer to give accurate readings on the status of my pc) i decide to shut it off, as it was late and hoped for it to be resolved in the morning.

Today i woke up, turned my pc on, started watching Netflix through the app, opened Google Chrome to search a question i had and suddenly windows explorer crashes, chrome closes and my wallpaper goes to black, explorer restarts itself, chrome won't relaunch and the icon was even removed from my pin taskbar, i see that again i have no memory left on my C drive, i imagine it may be my lack of diligence cleaning up temporary files and that perhaps one of my programs got updated and failed to delete them after use and i may have just a pile up of files somewhere.

I restart my PC, i now have 11gb free, i open chrome (my prefered browser) download CCleaner as i've had good experiences with in the past, install it, i check my windows explorer and my C drive now has 79Gb free, i suppose it could be a misread, run CCleaner regardless, it tells me it only freed 70 mb i close it, and start watching netflix thinking that it may just be a mix of information and maybe there is something happening on the background processes and although 79Gb is low maybe there is an automatic update being download and that's what causing the issue, i check several minutes later and i notice the free space is going down at a slightly alarming rate, i can understand a fluctuation of 2 gbs at most with all the streaming and whatnot but it went from 70 Gb to 50 Gb in a matter of hours, and i find hard to believe this to be "normal behaviour".

I am currently running my antivirus just in case it may be something like that although i find it hard to believe as my antivirus would've detected something like this (hopefully) and i haven't downloaded anything from anywhere in at least a month (beyond a standard game download through Steam and updates for previously existing programs or games) i also just noticed the 1903 update and will try installing it as soon as my antivirus finishes the full scan.

I took screenshots at different times to illustrate the process: Here is the Imgur Album with the Screenshots, I haven't downloaded anything or inserted USB sticks, Disk cleanup has been useless, i still get the option to compress OS for 108 gb but does absolutely nothing.

I am down to 14Gb as i write this and would appreciate any input anyone may have on this issue as i'm running out of ideas about what to do.

Regards.

:)

Mateo Vargas, Nov 9, 2019

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Nov 9, 2019
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Nov 9, 2019
  4. Verikon Win User

Storage filling up and emptying by itself without a clear cause

SLI mod now 2x bandwidth?

*Smile Storage filling up and emptying by itself without a clear cause :)

Verikon, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

Storage filling up and emptying by itself without a clear cause

1. Storage filling up and emptying by itself without a clear cause - Similar Threads - Storage filling emptying

2. My storage is filling up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My storage is filling up: how can i free up space? I installed valorant however it was not successful but my C drive is almost full , how can I free up space, I am using alienware laptop with 500 GB storage...
  3. My storage is filling up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My storage is filling up: how can i free up space? I installed valorant however it was not successful but my C drive is almost full , how can I free up space, I am using alienware laptop with 500 GB storage...
  4. My storage is filling up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Storage space keeps filling up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage space keeps filling up: My hard drive space has been filling up recently, and most people say to uninstall stuff or to install an app to help. But since my storage space is already full, and some apps won't uninstall. Plus, it says that I have 221 GB in apps, even though the total amount of apps I...
  6. Storage on C: drive repeatedly fills up without any downloads

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage on C: drive repeatedly fills up without any downloads: I've been having serious problems with the storage of my C: drive on my laptop. I have deleted a lot of apps and freed up a lot of storage, however every time I delete something, the storage is somehow full again after a certain amount of time. Previous chat sessions I have...
  7. Storage keeps filling up!!

Storage keeps filling up!!: Hi, I have a 256GB SSD with my OS on and a 1TB HDD. My SSD keeps randomly filling up, I don't understand why this is happening. Everytime i boot my laptop i loose around 2-3GB. I checked what is taking up my space and i don't understandI'm addding a screenshot. [ATTACH]...
  8. Disk storage keeps filling up

Disk storage keeps filling up: Hello, I have recently used Onedrive to clear space on my PC. All of my photos were uploaded but I've noticed that they keep reappearing and therefore filling up my storage. I have notifications stating that Amazon photos is downloading from Onedrive so it seems that as I...
  9. Storage keeps filling up for no reason

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Storage keeps filling up for no reason: This is a real problem I am having - Whenever I have about 210 MB left on my hard disk, the storage just fills itself up to like 16.9 MB. I did not save anything or download anything that time. Can someone help? 134743
  10. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION without clear cause

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION without clear cause: Hey guys, Since a few days I'm getting a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bluescreen here and there. I have gotten my first such bluescreen right after I had switched my old Phenom II 4X 945 for a FX 8350. My first thought was that something had gone wrong with the new CPU. After...