Windows 10: Storage is saying 1.6 tb used, but fails to populate whats taking the space?

Discus and support Storage is saying 1.6 tb used, but fails to populate whats taking the space? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is my entire data drive. I can manually go open the drive's folders and look through everything, but on the storage settings, it looks like this.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LaethS, Apr 13, 2020.

1. LaethS Win User

Storage is saying 1.6 tb used, but fails to populate whats taking the space?

This is my entire data drive. I can manually go open the drive's folders and look through everything, but on the storage settings, it looks like this. Also fails to populate on Add/remove programs.

How can I resolve this? Everything is accessible on the drive if I can find it.

Storage is saying 1.6 tb used, but fails to populate whats taking the space? afedb8ad-9b2e-49a9-bc21-6d86e51f2539?upload=true.png

:)

LaethS, Apr 13, 2020

2. Storages Spaces Configuration

First Storage Spaces like RAID is not a backup.

If the data is important to you then you'll have at least 2 locations for it. One in Storage Spaces, and the other in another location. I use a NAS for my secondary backup.

Next, the different size drives do cause issues with how much you can use. Say you have 2 drives, one is 1 TB and the other is 2 TB. In storage spaces you can only use a maximum of the smallest drive. So in this scenario you'd only have a total of 2 TB of
    space, 1 TB from each drive with 1 TB not being used on the 2 TB drive. It is best for the Storage Pools to use the same size drives.

You are thinking of JBOD storage, however Storage Spaces doesn't support that method of storage.

IJustHelping, Apr 13, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Conflicting information on my Storage Space...

From disk management, it does report the same storage and used space as from explorer.
    May I ask did you try to create a storage pool or something ? if so, you should not mess with this.

Is this disk an external disk connected via USB ? WD or Seagate branch ?

I have the feeling that this disk is formatted with GPT type using 512K emulation so Windows get confused. To verify:

1. Right click on Disk 6 ->Properties->Volumes. What does it show on partition styles ? GPT ?
    2. Download Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free, install then run. What does it show on disk 7 ? MBR ?

If step 1 shows GPT and step 2 shows MBR then definitely the disk was formatted using 512K emulation. The reason they did this so that it would be recognized by WinXP or if you connect it to a TV.

Windows Updates failed is another problem you have. First, it tried to updates from 1703 -> 1709 and failed so any subsequent updates to 1803 also failed.

topgundcp, Apr 13, 2020
  4. Storage is saying 1.6 tb used, but fails to populate whats taking the space?

Storage Spaces capacity error

Hi, Thanks for your response.

But this does not explain why 'storage spaces' says my pool is full and 'My PC' says i have 7.5 tb of space available?

'My PC' IS correct, 'storage spaces is incorrect. But 'storage spaces' will not let me add any new files/data.

I did run Disk cleanup like you suggested but there were no files to clean in the 'storage spaces' pool.

The pool is only used to store media files. Not OS.

Please help x

trickyricky1, Apr 13, 2020
Thema:

Storage is saying 1.6 tb used, but fails to populate whats taking the space?

1. Storage is saying 1.6 tb used, but fails to populate whats taking the space? - Similar Threads - Storage saying used

2. Storage pool capacity is 9TB. Properties say 4.54TB free space left, Used space 4.999 TB....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage pool capacity is 9TB. Properties say 4.54TB free space left, Used space 4.999 TB....: Hi, I am using Stellar photo recovery to recover C:\ on Windows 10 operating system. I have created a storage pool using two 5TB EXD's. The pool capacity is 9TB. Properties say 4.54TB free space left, Used space 4.999 TB. The files were saving fine until the first of the two...
  3. Storage pool capacity is 9TB. Properties say 4.54TB free space left, Used space 4.999 TB....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage pool capacity is 9TB. Properties say 4.54TB free space left, Used space 4.999 TB....: Hi, I am using Stellar photo recovery to recover C:\ on Windows 10 operating system. I have created a storage pool using two 5TB EXD's. The pool capacity is 9TB. Properties say 4.54TB free space left, Used space 4.999 TB. The files were saving fine until the first of the two...
  4. Storage pool capacity is 9TB. Properties say 4.54TB free space left, Used space 4.999 TB....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How is it possible that my System files can take up more than 1 TB storage space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How is it possible that my System files can take up more than 1 TB storage space?: How is it possible that my System files can take up more than 1 TB storage space? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-is-it-possible-that-my-system-files-can-take/322ad47a-2a1d-49ae-8316-74ba51d5d668
  6. How is it possible that my System files can take up more than 1 TB storage space?

How is it possible that my System files can take up more than 1 TB storage space?: How is it possible that my System files can take up more than 1 TB storage space? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-is-it-possible-that-my-system-files-can-take/322ad47a-2a1d-49ae-8316-74ba51d5d668
  7. Windows Storage Spaces issue "Using 10.2 TB of 14.5 TB pool capacity"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Storage Spaces issue "Using 10.2 TB of 14.5 TB pool capacity": [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Raglesnarf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i3tggr/windows_storage_spaces_issue_using_102_tb_of_145/
  8. Windows 100 gb and 1 TB storage transfer.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 100 gb and 1 TB storage transfer.: I need help. My pc storage is full, and I have a 1 TB local disk. I can't figure out how to transfer the items from the pc storage to the disk storage. How do I free up the space without deleting anything?...
  9. Running Out of Disk Space on a 1 TB Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running Out of Disk Space on a 1 TB Disk: Recently, my son and I built a computer for him to play video games. We installed a 1 TB EVO solid state drive. Now, three months later, his C: drive shows used 930 GBs and he is requesting a 2nd drive. When I asked what he had on there he said the majority of that 930...
  10. Storage Spaces says full

Storage Spaces says full: I recently got a notification saying storage spaces was full but when I check it in file explorer it says 298GB free. [img] [img] Does anyone know why there is a discrepancy on what is being reported as the available space in storage spaces? - - - Updated - - - Even...