Windows 10: Storage Issue - Unable to find what is using up the storage

Discus and support Storage Issue - Unable to find what is using up the storage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been getting a storage warning lately. I have a 1000GB storage capacity on my laptop and when I go into the storage option in the control panel,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tanya-Ji, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Tanya-Ji Win User

Storage Issue - Unable to find what is using up the storage

I have been getting a storage warning lately. I have a 1000GB storage capacity on my laptop and when I go into the storage option in the control panel, it tells me that I am using over close to the 1000GB. I can see the usage for my games, documents, photos, music, etc but this is minimal; under 100GB. I am not able to locate what is using up the rest.

It shows that a majority of the usage is in the other folders, when I go into this it is not able to characterize what is being used to show me.

I have now transferred all my documents, photos, music etc to an external hard drive to free up a small amount of space. I have run the disk cleanup, optimization on both Windows and through my Norton Anti-Virus program. I have also had the most recent update for Windows 10 downloaded with the help of the external hard drive and have deleted the old version. I also have storage sense on.

What else could be taking up the space? And how do I find this? Thank you.

:)

Tanya-Ji, Aug 23, 2020

2. Internal Storage devices being detected as removable devices

Hi,

I would suggest you to update your storage controller driver.

Method 1: Update Storage Controller Driver

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Update Driver Software.
    • Wait for sometime and check if the issue persists.
    • Restart your system.
    Method 2: Uninstall and then reinstall Storage Controller driver from the Manufacturer's Website

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Uninstall.
    • Now, go to the Manufacturer's website and download the latest storage controller driver.
    • Once the download is complete, double-click and run the setup file to complete installation.
    • Restart your system.
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Aug 23, 2020
  3. AaronGaff Win User
    Storage issue

I’m getting messages on my computer say the storage is full. The storage menu in settings says I have 172GB of apps and features, but I have next to nothing loaded onto the computer (I only use it for word processing). I’ve checked the list of apps and features
    and nothing in the list accounts for the amount of space taken up.

How can I find out what is taking up so much space on my machine and address the issue? Thanks.

AaronGaff, Aug 23, 2020
  4. Storage Issue - Unable to find what is using up the storage

Storage options

Hi,

To help you change your storage preferences, kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + I to go to Settings.
    • Click System and select Storage.
    • Under Save locations, you can change where the files, apps and others will go.

Let us know the result to help you further.

Dennis Mop, Aug 23, 2020
Thema:

Storage Issue - Unable to find what is using up the storage

1. Storage Issue - Unable to find what is using up the storage - Similar Threads - Storage Issue Unable

2. Whats taking up this much storage?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whats taking up this much storage?: My name is Aiden and im just a typical gamer and i realized that my computer is so laggy. I just got this computer on Christmas and today when i checked it said my installed apps in settings are using 100gb. I couldn't find the app that was using this much storage. The app...
  3. Whats taking up this much storage?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whats taking up this much storage?: My name is Aiden and im just a typical gamer and i realized that my computer is so laggy. I just got this computer on Christmas and today when i checked it said my installed apps in settings are using 100gb. I couldn't find the app that was using this much storage. The app...
  4. Whats taking up this much storage?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Used storage issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Used storage issue: On Settings > System > Storage > Storage used on other drives > Local Disk C: - 237 GB it said that "Installed apps has used 53.1 GB, BUT I did the math and using a calculator and by calculating each and every one of the apps I've only used 1.28 GB. Though there are 11 apps...
  6. Used storage issue

Used storage issue: On Settings > System > Storage > Storage used on other drives > Local Disk C: - 237 GB it said that "Installed apps has used 53.1 GB, BUT I did the math and using a calculator and by calculating each and every one of the apps I've only used 1.28 GB. Though there are 11 apps...
  7. What is taking up storage?

What is taking up storage?: Hello, I have this problem where I barely have any space left on my 475GB SSD. when I look in settings, it says that installed apps take up around 350GB, but when I click on installed apps, It says that the largest one is 3GB. This is obviously not true. I mostly have games...
  8. What is taking up storage?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is taking up storage?: Hello, I have this problem where I barely have any space left on my 475GB SSD. when I look in settings, it says that installed apps take up around 350GB, but when I click on installed apps, It says that the largest one is 3GB. This is obviously not true. I mostly have games...
  9. Storage issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage issues: I have a family member on my account, and on my main account it doesn't take any gb on "other people" but on the family member's account it takes around 20 gb. Why is that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-issues/1a4312d9-a34f-4a78-8416-2b514e5312c0
  10. Storage issue

Storage issue: Two days ago my c drive had total capacity of 238 gb but now it has 237gb total capacity. Why/how?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-issue/9971cb62-5914-48df-aea6-4743495d5c47