Windows 10: storage pool has an error. 1 of 2 drives mirror drive failed can't copy data off of the...

Discus and support storage pool has an error. 1 of 2 drives mirror drive failed can't copy data off of the... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a mirrored storage space. storage pool has an error Storage space F: Two-way mirror. Pool capacity is 7.27 using 5.87 one drive has warning.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SeanRuddy, Apr 13, 2021.

1. SeanRuddy Win User

storage pool has an error. 1 of 2 drives mirror drive failed can't copy data off of the...

I have a mirrored storage space. storage pool has an error
    Storage space F: Two-way mirror. Pool capacity is 7.27 using 5.87

one drive has warning. both say 80% used. I have a new external raid with 2 @ 8TB that I ordered before this happened as I was planning on upgrading since I'm at 80%.

Error reduced resiliency check physical drive section.
    first 4tb 3,62 is ok second has warnings consider replacing... that sounds scary.

pool consists of these two drives each is 3.63 tb in the storage spaces control panel. In explorer it says the drive f is 3.62tb with 721 GB free.

I can copy some files but many are not accessible. I tried copying a folder with 2500 files and had 100's of failed to access errors. A different folder with 6 files 2 could not copy. So that is not an effective way to pull files out. Backup is a few weeks old. I have ordered a drive with everything from backblaze but that is going to take a while. So I am not in total despair but a little freaked out that the MS raid isn't letting me pull the date of the good side of the mirror.

Not sure what to do to try and fix it. It would be very nice to recover the data off of the F drive and get back to work.

:)

SeanRuddy, Apr 13, 2021
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

Storage pool

Hello,

Storage Spaces is a technology in Windows and Windows Server that can help protect your data from drive failures. It is conceptually similar to RAID, implemented in software. You can use Storage Spaces to group three or more drives together into a storage pool
    and then use capacity from that pool to create Storage Spaces. These typically store extra copies of your data so if one of your drives fails, you still have an intact copy of your data. If you run low on capacity, just add more drives to the storage pool.

In setting up a storage space, it's recommended that you use a hard drive that doesn't contain important files as the drive will be formatted to mirror the host drive.

For more information regarding Storage Spaces, read this
    FAQ page

Hope the information I provided helps.

Ferdz Amp, Apr 13, 2021
  3. Frank870 Win User
    Vhdx drives inside refs storage pool

Trying to find out if this is good practice and if I will retain the benefits of having a mirrored refs storage space pool. I wish to have a mirrored pool using 4 physical drives formatted with refs. This will be over provisioned for future expansion.
    I want to have 2 vhdx drives inside of this pool. These will also be over provisioned. Will saving everything to my vhdx which is formatted ntfs be fine inside of my refs pool. I have tested this out with many file writes and benchmarks but its all short term
    and i cant simulate corrupted data on one drive.

Frank870, Apr 13, 2021
  4. Sam___ Win User

storage pool has an error. 1 of 2 drives mirror drive failed can't copy data off of the...

Storage pools, update pool with RAID10

Pivor,

I dont understand that part, how can storage spaces simultaneously mirror and stripe data with only 3 drives? And how does this even protect from drive failures, unless its a parity (RAID5)
    but its write performance is insanely poor.

You are thinking about Storage Spaces as a RAID. It's not like RAID where it works on device level, Storage Spaces abstracts the physical storage so it's more flexible than traditional RAID. Because resiliency is performed on the block level it can store
    the blocks on any device in pool. In order to stripe on 3 disks it would have to make sure that the blocks are spread across drives in such a way that 2 copies of the blocks exist on 2 different physical devices. That way if 1 of the drives fails the blocks
    will be available on the remaining 2 drives in the pool. Write performance is that of a single drive and quicker for sequential writes. Are you tuning for IOPS or pure write performance?

What is COW and ReFS? And how it can fail due to file system?

COW is copy-on-write. It's the method of writing data blocks to disk to ensure atomic consistency. When coupled with Microsoft's Resilient File System (ReFS) the data blocks are additionally check summed (CRC-64) and the data scrubber will ensure data consistency.
    In other words it will automatically protect your data against bit-rot, etc. Because you have further abstracted your storage you have forgone the benefits of these features.

Im mostly curious, if i will be able to move 3tb of data from my current setup to array in case 2, cause it seems impossible since it eats 50% of space for i dont know what.

You have to think about capacity used in terms of data overhead for resiliency. So for example a mirror volume would require a 1:2 ratio to provide resiliency. A Parity volume requires 1:1.5 ratio to provide resiliency.

So 1GB of data on a mirrored volume consumes 2GB of space. That 1GB on parity consumes 1.5GB.

Sam

Sam___, Apr 13, 2021
Thema:

1. storage pool has an error. 1 of 2 drives mirror drive failed can't copy data off of the... - Similar Threads - storage pool has

2. Storage pool failed drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage pool failed drive: Hello everyone,I recently combined two hard drives that I own to a storage pool, one being an internal drive and the other a portable external hard drive I know silly move. The portable drive is now toasted and I've had a professional look at it with it not being saved. I...
  3. Storage pool failed drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage pool failed drive: Hello everyone,I recently combined two hard drives that I own to a storage pool, one being an internal drive and the other a portable external hard drive I know silly move. The portable drive is now toasted and I've had a professional look at it with it not being saved. I...
  4. Storage pool failed drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces

Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces: If I create a Storage Space and create mirrored drives, does Storage Spaces alert me if one drive fails, or would Windows allow me to continue using the system blindly until both drives fail?...
  6. error "No Capacity" in "Storage Spaces" with a Mirrored storage space 2 drives in mirror

error "No Capacity" in "Storage Spaces" with a Mirrored storage space 2 drives in mirror: I get an error message "No Capacity" in the Storage Spaces section of windows 10 with a mirrored storage space. The Storage Space is formatted in ReFS . Both drives are functioning put both drives in another computer . How can I repair this storage space ?...
  7. Adding a Hard Drive to storage pool

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding a Hard Drive to storage pool: Trying to add internal hard to storage pool but keep getting error 0x00000005 or "need to close all applications that are open that are connected to that drive. How do I find out what applications need to be closed...
  8. Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool: I had 3x 3TB drives in a parity pool. It started to fill up so i added a fourth 3TB drive and months later one of the original 3 began to fail on me. Performance was slow, then slower, then it showed disconnected. I retired the drive and added a replacement, literally the...
  9. Dual Booting with a Mirrored Storage Pool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Booting with a Mirrored Storage Pool: I'm planning my new PC build and it will be a dual boot configuration with 2 SSDs as my OS drives. One will have Windows 10, and the other will have Windows 7. I also plan to use three 2TB hard drives for bulk storage. I want to pool the hard drives in Storage Spaces using...
  10. Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?: I'm hoping someone here might have experience with mirroring 2 drives in Windows 10. I'm reading How-to's but some of my basic questions remain unanswered. I have an SSD (C) used for the OS and loading apps and a 2TB drive that holds for all my files, images and videos,...