Windows 10: Storage pool with hdd and ssd

Discus and support Storage pool with hdd and ssd in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello I have made a what I think is a pretty sick gaming pc but its slow because of the hdd and I don't have any ssds big enough to suit my needs so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by aestavan, May 17, 2020.

1. aestavan Win User

Storage pool with hdd and ssd

Hello

I have made a what I think is a pretty sick gaming pc but its slow because of the hdd and I don't have any ssds big enough to suit my needs so I'm wondering if I can make a storage pool that will have the os on the ssd as well as my games that I use the most on there as well like raid 0 but only frequently used files on the ssd and the rest on the hdd.

:)

aestavan, May 17, 2020
  2. Lenne Win User

Can I use Storage spaces in Win10 to pool SSD and HDD drive together?

Would it be possible in Windows 10 to create a storage space in a laptop with an SSD and a HDD?

It appears I need two drives besides the Windows drive, but does that mean physical drives, or could I have a Windows partition and a "storage space" partition on same drive (SSD) to pool with the HDDdrive?

Or, is it possible to have a small "bootloader" creating the storage space windows is installed in?

I would like to have a tiered storage space pool, so windows automatically move less used files from the SSD to the HDD.

I could remove the CD-drive and put a 3rd drive in a caddy in place. Would that be an idea?

Lenne, May 17, 2020
  3. create storage pool

I had a USB storage device that became damaged and unserviceable attached to my laptop I had a storage pool with this storage device . I deleted the storage device and did the necessary steps that i know to unattached the device from the memory. I plugged
    in a new storage device and tried to create a new storage pool. I keep getting the error r unable to create because it is being used by other apps.

RussellGlidewell, May 17, 2020
  4. paul Win User

Storage Pool Read-Only Unhealthy

Okay, I've gotten myself into a pickle. Situation:

1. I had a 4-disk, mirrored storage pool
    2. I wanted to remove 2 disks, so I retired them (prepared them for removal)
    3. I waited until the process was done and Get-PhysicalDisk reported "retired"
    4. I PHYSICALLY removed them and formatted them without completing the final "remove" step.

SO, now I have a very odd situation. I have a 4-drive pool with two "retired" drives that have "lost communication". All data is on the two remaining drives, but they are inaccessible because the pool is "unhealthy". The pool is in a read-only OperationalStatus, so I can't modify the pool configuration.

I have tried to set the pool's -IsReadOnly flag to $false. Works. BUT the operational status remains read-only, perhaps because the health status is unhealthy? I even physically reattached the missing disks. But because the disks had been reset, they aren't recognized by the pool.

Anyway, the current relevant status of pools, physical and virtual disks is as follows:

The two "Can Pool" drives are the ones that I removed and reattached (*58 and *33). The two that are part of the pool are (probably obviously) *H4 and *QX.

Anybody have any ideas? At least short of doing a relatively expensive recovery? All I need to do is remove the two "retired" drives from the pool. Seems like it's just a database issue. Certainly no data should be lost or corrupt.

Oh, Windows 10, not server, if it matters.

Thema:

1. Storage pool with hdd and ssd - Similar Threads - Storage pool hdd

2. Can't remove ssd from storage pool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't remove ssd from storage pool: [ATTACH] As stated above I can't remove this from the pool but it also doesn't seem to add to it either. The SSD doesn't show up anywhere obvious in disk management and I want to have it as its own separate drive. Please help, I don't want a hdd and ssd in the same pool...
  3. storage pools

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    storage pools: I have three 1 TB drives in my computer. Two of them are configured as a RAID1 mirrored drive, and the third drive is for backup. Today, for the first time, I became aware of storage pools, and when I explored my setup, I found that some space on my RAID1 drive is assigned to...
  4. Storage Pool

Storage Pool: My Asus VivoBook recently ran out of storage space so I have been using an external hard drive to store everything. Yet my laptop progessed into no disc space and wasn't responding to basic functions like the use of Microsoft Word. I decided to create a storage pool to allow...
  5. Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

Storage setup with a SSD and HDD: Hi I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage I have 1TB cloud storage with 365 and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred any data from my old pc...
  6. storage pool issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    storage pool issue: wondering if anyone could help. I used a DAS for 8 drives and used storage pool to create the raid. unfortunately, I returned the drive without deleting the storage pool in MS. Now I want to use a few of the drives but windows 10 either won't recognize the drive or kicks it...
  7. create storage pool

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    create storage pool: I had a USB storage device that became damaged and unserviceable attached to my laptop I had a storage pool with this storage device . I deleted the storage device and did the necessary steps that i know to unattached the device from the memory. I plugged in a new storage...
  8. Storage Pool missing

Storage Pool missing: Hello. I had four 4TB drives in a 8TB Storage Pool mirrored setup. I was trying to use the "Remove"-option to replace one of the disks. After clicking it, Windows became unresponsive and then bluescreen. When Windows booted back up, the Storage Pool was missing, and the...
  9. Add Storage Pool

Add Storage Pool: Hey guys, I am have trouble a storage pool to my small HP stream it comes up with error 0x00000032 If someone could give me step by step instructions on how to fix this it would be much appreciated. Thanks...
  10. Storage Pools

Storage Pools: Hello, I currently have windows 10 Home premium x64 and I am running a storage pool with no parity. I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise and I want to know if I will lose my Storage Pool and the information in it?...