Windows 10: Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?

Discus and support Storage Sense and Compressing drive C? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Now that Reserve Storage has reduced storage available to about 2 GB I am begining to experience some issues, even having done my usual cleaning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clayto, Jun 23, 2019.

1. clayto Win User

Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?

Now that Reserve Storage has reduced storage available to about 2 GB I am begining to experience some issues, even having done my usual cleaning routines. There might still be something more to gain from cleaning up further in Storage Sense. Download Files appears to have over 8 GB available but I have not got it to free up anything despite trying many times. Why is this and is there a way to get it to work? Secondly, Compressing the drive should shrink it by over 10 GB. This is something I have not done before ---- what are the pros and cons?

:)

clayto, Jun 23, 2019
  2. bburzycki Win User

Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Storage sense was not active

bburzycki, Jun 23, 2019
  3. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

As you may already know, if this feature is on, every new folder/file you add starts off automatically compressed. If you would like to turn it off for the whole drive, kindly follow these steps:

• Start File Explorer . In the left pane, right-click on the drive that you would not want to be compressed.
    • Click Properties.
    • Make sure that the Compress this drive to save disk space box is unchecked.
    • Click OK then Apply.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Darian Tab, Jun 23, 2019
  4. Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?

compressing c: drive?

i've always wondered what would happen if i selected the compress disk option for my c: drive. i have never done it with anyother drives before, so i dont know what will happen. so does anyone know what would happen if i compressed my c: drive? would windows still work? this is probably a stupid question hahaha

frankie827, Jun 23, 2019
Thema:

Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?

1. Storage Sense and Compressing drive C? - Similar Threads - Storage Sense Compressing

2. C Drive storage space doesn't make sense?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C Drive storage space doesn't make sense?: My C Drive has 180 GB of storage; out of which 104 GB is being used by installed apps and 13GB by system but calculating manually only 16 GB is actually being used by the installed apps. I tried cleaning up but it's still the same I don't understand what is happening....
  3. C Drive storage space doesn't make sense?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C Drive storage space doesn't make sense?: My C Drive has 180 GB of storage; out of which 104 GB is being used by installed apps and 13GB by system but calculating manually only 16 GB is actually being used by the installed apps. I tried cleaning up but it's still the same I don't understand what is happening....
  4. Storage Sense and One Drive Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Sense and One Drive Settings: I saw a full size setting similar size to storage window recently that provided an option to have storage sense and or one drive set the minimum unused space on the drive. The options were 15%, 20% and 25% to be left unused.I have hunted on the laptop and extensively on the...
  5. Compressing C:\ drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Compressing C:\ drive: My system - NVME SSD, i7-8750H CPU and 16 GB RAM. Would there be a "noticeable" performance hit if I compress my C: drive? (I have already compressed my D: and E: drives, but maybe C:\ is a special case since it contains the system files and would therefore affect everything...
  6. Storage Sense

in Windows 10 Customization
    Storage Sense: In my Windows 10 system, Temporary Files contain system restore points-9 GB and Windows update Cleanup-6 GB, Is it safe to delete such temporary files? plz Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-sense/981146e3-b38f-4e3c-88e3-c7bdb6a67b91
  7. storage Sense

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    storage Sense: If I set storage sense to clean every day? It doesn't seem to do anything Am I missing anything in my settings? or does it work only when you reach full capacity on the drive? thank you and stay safe 155349
  8. Storage sense

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Storage sense: Not able to turn on due to Administrator blocking it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-sense/de41c85d-6ad8-4362-8c75-8176c32925de
  9. Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Storage Sense and Compressing drive C?: Now that Reserve Storage has reduced storage available to about 2 GB I am begining to experience some issues, even having done my usual cleaning routines. There might still be something more to gain from cleaning up further in Storage Sense. Download Files appears to have...
  10. Storage Sense Compression and OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Sense Compression and OneDrive: Today, when manually freeing up space using Storage Sense, I saw an option to compress files for the first time. After I selected it and clicked Remove files, notifications appeared regarding files OneDrive was downloading. With only a 32GB SD card permanently connected as...