Windows 10: storage setting in windows 10

Discus and support storage setting in windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi the setting app shows way more storage used than actually used says used 296 out of 580 when its only using 16 gb is there a way to reset it thx... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hangdawg, Aug 17, 2015.

1. hangdawg Win User

storage setting in windows 10

hi the setting app shows way more storage used than actually used says used 296 out of 580 when its only using
    16 gb is there a way to reset it thx

:)

hangdawg, Aug 17, 2015

2. In Setting Then System (Storage)

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

This could be due to user profile corruption. Hence, I would suggest you to create a new user account and check.

Press Windows key + R to open
    RUN box

Type control userpasswords2 and press
    OK

Under User Account window and under
    Users tab, click Add tab

Under How will this person sign-in windows, click the option at the bottom
    Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended)

On the next window click Local Account
    at the bottom

Choose a user name (use password if you want to or you can leave the password section blank as it is just to test)

Click Next and then click
    Finish

As you click Finish, the previous User Accounts
    window remains on the screen

Select newly created user and click Properties

Click Group Membership tab

Click to select Administrator and click
    Other and select Administrator from drop-down menu

Click Apply and then click
    OK

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, Aug 17, 2015
  3. P71Jeff Win User
    In Setting Then System (Storage)

How can I fix this nothing is showing up here now after I did a full disk clean up, I did upgrade to windows 10 from 8.1, Also Restore and installed a clean copy of Windows 10 also I went into Asus to reinstall some stuff that needed to be in the computer,
    Stuff was showing up on all the list below before I did a disk clean up, HELP WHAT DID I DO WRONG, Thank You In Advance

Choose a drive to see what's taking up space:

Not showing anything

Save Location

Change Where Your Apps, Docs, Music, Pictures, And Videos Are Saved By Default

New Apps Will Save To

Grayed Out

New Docs Will Save To

Blank

New Music Will Save To

Blank

New Picture Will Save To

Blank

New Videos Will Save To

Blank

P71Jeff, Aug 17, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

They are showing the same amount of freespace.

Has your primary disk 0 got a secondary partition separate from your win10 installation (about 280GB)?

WhyMe, Aug 17, 2015
  5. hangdawg Win User
    i upgraded from windows 7 then did a clean install and tried to put windows 10 in the partition 7 was in but it wouldn't let me so i deleted every partition that was only way windows 10 would install after installing went to disc management to create 2 additional partitions but it would only let me shrink c down to like 490gb something and the other to 400gb something so i used Mini tool partition to create the partitions i have know because i really hate the built in disc management that's included in windows *Sad

hangdawg, Aug 17, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    • How come you can see "storage-2 Drive F:" in Disk Management but not in File Explorer?
    • What's stored in F:?
    • Can you explore the volume files and folders?
    • Is the data in F: currently accessible?
    • Do you require this separate partition?

WhyMe, Aug 17, 2015
  7. hangdawg Win User
    1. I didn't have a letter assigned to that partition when i took the screenshot
    2. A clonezilla back-up and a system image created by windows itself
    3. yes
    4. yes
    5. yes i had the same set-up with windows 7 i assign a letter to it create a back-up and then remove letter leaving that partition hidden because my family also uses this computer so as to keep these back-ups secure never know when they will come in handy *Smile

hangdawg, Aug 18, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

Well that's the reason then. Whenever you have remove the letter from the volume it will impact upon what is displayed in File Explorer and Storage. That is the reason for the discrepancy.

Aside from that, I feel compelled to point out that having a backup on the same physical drive, whilst better than having entirely no backup, it is a very poor option. If the hard disk fails you end up losing everything.

HDDs are so cheap nowadays. You might want to consider merging partitions c: & f: together and buying a second internal hdd to hold your backups. Then you really have two copies in case of either catastrophic data corruption or hard drive failure of the 1st disk. The price of each TB is so low, they're practically giving it away lol

WhyMe, Aug 18, 2015
  9. hangdawg Win User
    i fixed it when i installed windows 10 on a empty drive it put some files in the middle of the drive so i couldn't shrink it beyond 490 gb but forced it with a partition program hence the problem so i followed this guide

If you came across the message "You cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where any unmovable files are located" when trying to shrink a partition on your disk using the Windows Disk Management tool, there's an easy fix to it. You'll need to disable Hibernation, Pagefile, and System protection as these files generated by Windows can't be automatically moved by the Disk Management tool so you are stuck at shrinking a partition down to where any of these system files are physically located. Other partition software can overcome this problem, but not Windows' Disk Management so thanks anyway *Smile

hangdawg, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. storage setting in windows 10 - Similar Threads - storage setting

2. One drive folder still uses 80 GB in settings/system/storage after:...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One drive folder still uses 80 GB in settings/system/storage after:...: I need to prevent one drive from using space on disk C. I have tried various solutions such as file on demand etc. to no avail. I have decided to simply remove one drive. But after unlinking, disinstalling and even after having emptied one drive of almost all files show 0.2 G...
  3. One drive folder still uses 80 GB in settings/system/storage after:...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive folder still uses 80 GB in settings/system/storage after:...: I need to prevent one drive from using space on disk C. I have tried various solutions such as file on demand etc. to no avail. I have decided to simply remove one drive. But after unlinking, disinstalling and even after having emptied one drive of almost all files show 0.2 G...
  4. One drive folder still uses 80 GB in settings/system/storage after:...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why storage settings> Installed Apps not showing same storage sizes for the apps as...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why storage settings> Installed Apps not showing same storage sizes for the apps as...: I am having a problem with Windows 11 Pro storage settings as I have installed my software " Ableton" which is showing 8.03 gb on Settings> Storage > Installed Apps but the problem is as the software is installed on " ProgramData " Folder Windows C > ProgramData > Ableton...
  6. Why storage settings> Installed Apps not showing same storage sizes for the apps as...

Why storage settings> Installed Apps not showing same storage sizes for the apps as...: I am having a problem with Windows 11 Pro storage settings as I have installed my software " Ableton" which is showing 8.03 gb on Settings> Storage > Installed Apps but the problem is as the software is installed on " ProgramData " Folder Windows C > ProgramData > Ableton...
  7. My second drive does not show up in Storage Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My second drive does not show up in Storage Settings: HI!Ever since I booted up Windows from an old SSD from a laptop my other drive hasn't show up and I want to use it so I can download bigger things and not max out my storage....
  8. My second drive does not show up in Storage Settings

My second drive does not show up in Storage Settings: HI!Ever since I booted up Windows from an old SSD from a laptop my other drive hasn't show up and I want to use it so I can download bigger things and not max out my storage....
  9. My sedcond drive does not show up in Storage Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My sedcond drive does not show up in Storage Settings: HI!Ever since I booted up Windows from an old SSD from a laptop my other drive hasn't show up and I want to use it so I can download bigger things and not max out my storage....
  10. My sedcond drive does not show up in Storage Settings

My sedcond drive does not show up in Storage Settings: HI!Ever since I booted up Windows from an old SSD from a laptop my other drive hasn't show up and I want to use it so I can download bigger things and not max out my storage....