Windows 10: Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

Discus and support Storage setup with a SSD and HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by brify, May 23, 2020.

1. brify Win User

Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

Hi

I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage I have 1TB cloud storage with 365 and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred any data from my old pc yet.

I now wish to setup the pc to have the operating system and program files on the SSD as they are currently and all my Files/Pictures/Music etc on the HDD but I am unsure of the correct procedures and order in which to carry them out. I also want to continue using OneDrive for backup and file access from other devices.

I am aware of the following:

• The OneDrive folder is currently on the SSD and is backing up the default Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I wish to move this folder to the HDD but I am not when to do this, looking at the steps below, to prevent any sync issues
    • I know I can move my user folders, Documents, Pictures etc to the HDD by changing the location of these from C: SSD to D: HDD, leaving the User/Username folder on C:
    • I have also noticed that in Settings/System/Storage I can 'change the location where new content is saved' for these folders, what is the difference between this and moving the location of the folders as detailed above.

Can anyone advise on the best/correct method of setting my system up going forward?

Thanks

:)

brify, May 23, 2020
  2. techguy31 Win User

64Gb SSD for OS or 2Tb HDD for storage ?!

I suggest that you get the 2tb for storage. SSDs are only useful if you want to boot things fast like OS and programs. I actually suggest you get both if you have that many movies.

techguy31, May 23, 2020
  3. SSD VS HDD

SSD VS HDD

I know that a ssd is much more efficient in terms of performance but does it out perform storage wise?

250 SSD better than 500 HDD?

Or do you still need to buy the 500 to be comparable in storage?

SatvinderBal, May 23, 2020
  4. Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

SSD / HDD Setup

It's pretty simple to redirect the default folder location of Pics, Docs, Music, etc.
    MS has a support page for it here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/redirect-a-folder-to-a-new-location

I went one step further with my SSD/HDD setup and made a 30GB partition just for the OS on the SSD. Then I install any programs that can be given an alternative path to the secondary partition, as well as the page file. 35GB might be a bit more appropriate for updates well into the future and/or in case he forgets to put some progs on the secondary partition, but so far 30GB has been plenty space for me. You can change the default install path as well, but I wouldn't recommend that as he'll probably want to install some things on the SSD, and some on the HDD, so it's better to do it piecemeal.

Frag Maniac, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

1. Storage setup with a SSD and HDD - Similar Threads - Storage setup SSD

2. HDD Storage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD Storage: I was wondering why my 1Tb hard drive has only 931gb, i ruled out that it wasnt because of my os because thats on a seperate drive. Does any one know? submitted by /u/NotCaidzz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v12gjo/hdd_storage/
  3. Windows on both ssd and hdd, probably wasting storage?

Windows on both ssd and hdd, probably wasting storage?: so I set up my ssd like a year ago and put Windows 10 on it. Now that Im running out of storage on my hdd I'm starting to think why there's still like all the windows folders on it. Should I delete them all? If yes, how? submitted by /u/SharowPUBG [link] [comments]...
  4. Storage pool with hdd and ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage pool with hdd and ssd: Hello I have made a what I think is a pretty sick gaming pc but its slow because of the hdd and I don't have any ssds big enough to suit my needs so I'm wondering if I can make a storage pool that will have the os on the ssd as well as my games that I use the most on there...
  5. Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd: I just clean wiped my pc yet it still has the issue where for example: steam setup is set on my SSD C: where it is supposed to automatically install in my HDD D:. it does this for practically every setup. HELP!...
  6. How to use SSD for OS and HDD as storage???

in Windows 10 Support
    How to use SSD for OS and HDD as storage???: I am currently running the newest version of windows 10 and I have an SSD for my OS only and a HDD as storage. And every time I install a program it defaults to install on the SSD. I have changed the storage settings in windows so that apps and so on go will to the HDD but...
  7. How to setup SSD boot drive and HDD folders

How to setup SSD boot drive and HDD folders: I would like advice on how best to set up a desktop to boot from a SSD, but save Program Files and User data (downloads, documents, media folders) to a separate HDD drive. This seems like it should be an obvious question, but I can't find any advice. Should the boot drive be...
  8. New PC with SSD and HDD setup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New PC with SSD and HDD setup: I'm having issues completing my environment setup on my Dell XPS 8930 desktop computer. As mentioned in the subject line, my PC has both an SSD and HDD. The operating system (Windows 10 Pro) is on the SSD as Drive C. The HDD is 2tb and I plan to use this for my user data....
  9. SSD as boot drive and HDD as storage drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD as boot drive and HDD as storage drive: I've researched high and low for a simple solution. I remember doing this on windows 7 with a registry hack back in the day, and it worked flawlessly. This is what I would like to do. I have a 500 gig SSD and a 1TB HDD. I would like all 600 gigs of user data to be on the HDD...
  10. Setup SSD / HDD using - Changing the Storage Locations doesnt work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setup SSD / HDD using - Changing the Storage Locations doesnt work: Hi, Just setting up windows 10 with a 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD - got the Windows installed on the SSD and setup HDD as a D Drive for Data. I have gone to Settings > System > Storage and changed the default documents, music, pictures "Save Locations" to the D Drive (HDD) so...