Windows 10: Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2

Discus and support Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I used to edit material on an external HDD which I would back up monthly. When that drive failed, I realised that I should have been backing up the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Sebastian42, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2

I used to edit material on an external HDD which I would back up monthly. When that drive failed, I realised that I should have been backing up the edits between month's ends. Then I saw that Storage Spaces in Settings;Storage, promised to 'save files to 2 or more drives' and that seemed to be what I needed. When I started the process of 'creating a new pool and storage space' I saw a warning that Windows would delete all files off the HDDs in the pool. I did not want to lose what was on the original ext HDD which I was editing, so the Storage Spaces mechanism no longer seemed suitable - unless I misunderstood the warning. Can someone clarify for me ?
    The external HDD failure consisted of it no longer showing up in THIS PC and Disk Management in two different PCs.

:)

Sebastian42, Dec 28, 2020
  2. 333t Win User

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

3. Storage Spaces capacity error

Hi, Thanks for your response.

But this does not explain why 'storage spaces' says my pool is full and 'My PC' says i have 7.5 tb of space available?

'My PC' IS correct, 'storage spaces is incorrect. But 'storage spaces' will not let me add any new files/data.

I did run Disk cleanup like you suggested but there were no files to clean in the 'storage spaces' pool.

The pool is only used to store media files. Not OS.

Please help x

trickyricky1, Dec 28, 2020
  4. MikeBar Win User

Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2

When adding a journal for storage spaces, is the journal added to the storage pool or a the storage space?

I'm planning to create 2 storage spaces, 1 for backup and 1 for my main data. I was going to add 1 journal to each storage space, but it looks like the journal applies to the storage pool, not the storage space. Is that the case? if it is, is the better
    approach to add 2 SSD drives to the storage pool as journals? If I add 2 drives as journals, how do I change the friendly name of the drives? Both of my drives that I want to use as journals have the same exact name.

Thanks,

Mike

MikeBar, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2

1. Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2 - Similar Threads - Storage Space Space

2. Win10 Storage Spaces - Mirrored Pool Doesn't Release Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 Storage Spaces - Mirrored Pool Doesn't Release Space: Using Storage Spaces for a simple Mirrored Pool with (2) 4TB HDD's for a backup drive. Setup was simple and easy with Storage Spaces reporting a formatted 3.75TB Mirrored Volume. After test writing some system images and doing some disk speeds tests, Storage Spaces says...
  3. Win10 Storage Spaces - Mirrored Pool Doesn't Release Space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Storage Spaces - Mirrored Pool Doesn't Release Space: Using Storage Spaces for a simple Mirrored Pool with 2 4TB HDD's for a backup drive. Setup was simple and easy with Storage Spaces reporting a formatted 3.75TB Mirrored Volume. After test writing some system images and doing some disk speeds tests, Storage Spaces says...
  4. Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces + Pool Capacity: I have 2 storage spaces set up. I am a bit confused when it comes to one of them as it is not utilizing the full pool capacity after adding a disk. Does anyone know the command line commands to expand it to utilize the full pool capacity? I have tried to Optimize to no...
  5. create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces

in Windows 10 Customization
    create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces: Dear all, I have connected two USB storage drives, each one of them is 16 GB. I tried to create a new virtual pool but it did not work out. I thought the size is not enough and it may need extra storage spaces. I connected 64 GB then opened the storage space but I am still...
  6. Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Change Storage Space in Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to change the name, drive letter, and size of a storage space...
  7. Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Upgrade Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. If you created a storage pool in Windows 8.1 and either remove drives from pools...
  8. Delete Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Delete Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Delete a Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to delete a storage pool for Storage Spaces in Windows...
  9. Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Create a Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to create a storage space for a storage pool in Windows...
  10. Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Rename Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. When you create a new storage pool, it is named Storage pool by default. You may want to...