Windows 10: Storage Space cannot see all my HDD's

Discus and support Storage Space cannot see all my HDD's in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Pro I just installed on a Dell XPS with 12GB of Ram. I have 3 drives: My OS is on a Samsung SSD. My data is on a 3TB HDD partitioned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wileydog, Aug 25, 2016.

1. wileydog Win User

Storage Space cannot see all my HDD's

I have Windows 10 Pro I just installed on a Dell XPS with 12GB of Ram. I have 3 drives: My OS is on a Samsung SSD. My data is on a 3TB HDD partitioned into D: (Data) and E: (Video). I also have another identical 3TB drive. I used the latter drive as a mirror on Win 7 for my D: and E: drives. I removed the mirror prior to moving to Windows 10. Now all my data is in D: and E: on the “Dynamic” Disk 2.

When I tried to create the Storage Space, the dialog only displayed the Disk 1 and would not let me do a resilient setup because I only had one drive.

Why am I unable to see my other data drive (Disk 2) in Storage Spaces? And, why does it show Disk 1 as a single drive instead of how I have it partitioned?

:)

wileydog, Aug 25, 2016
  2. Memo Pad Win User

Adding a Partition to Storage Space in Windows 10

Hi,

I have an HP Envy 750-287c with i7-6700U, 16G RAM, and 2x1TB HDD's. My PC originally had 1TB WD Blue HDD but I'm at 75% capacity. I decided to add a 2nd WD Blue HDD and create a storage space on the 2nd drive. I moved all of my files to this new "drive"
    created via storage space. I partitioned the boot drive (1TB) to added the unused space to my storage space but the Storage Space GUI doesn't recognize the new partitioned drive. Can we NOT added a partitioned drive to a storage space? Microsoft doesn't
    do a good job addressing this and i haven't seen a good response in any of the forums.

Memo Pad, Aug 25, 2016
  3. remi735 Win User
    Storage Spaces - Pros and Cons

I want to make a 100+TB NAS and i haven't decided between Storage Spaces or unRAID.

For example in Storage Spaces when you add a new HDD to the pool,and the Drives are optimizing, if windows crashes, do you lose all the data on all drives ?

I'm thinking of a Dual parity (Failure tolerance 2 HDDs and Storage
    efficiency 50.0% - 80.0%.

The write speeds dont have to be fast at all.

I'm much more interested in data security and second place is Storage efficiency.

remi735, Aug 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, two (forgive me) very elementary questions:
    a. can you confirm you can see your 2nd 3Tb drive in explorer? (Win 10 is now rather famous for losing drive partitions when installed, usually external drives, sometimes internal).
    b. can you configure Storage Spaces when one drive already contains data?

dalchina, Aug 26, 2016
  5. wileydog Win User
    Yes, I can see all three of my drives, including the SSD I use for the OS, and the two 3TB drives in Windows Explorer, and I can see them all in Disk Management, and also Device Manager. But, when I bring up the Control Panel for Storage Spaces, only the empty 3TB drive shows up.
    I guess part "b" of your answer is my question also. Do I need empty drives to start using Storage Spaces?

wileydog, Aug 27, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I tried reading a few items on Storage Space, but I couldn't find the answer to that! I guess the answer's out there.. or hopefully someone with experience of this can add an answer.

Good that there's no problem seeing your disks- hopefully it should just be that question.

I suspect the answer to that may be in the yellow box in your 1st post.

Also see:
    How to create a storage pool and storage space

1- Connect all the drives you want to participate on Storage Spaces.
    2- Open Start, do a search and open Storage Spaces.
    3- Click the link Create a new pool and storage space.

Storage Space cannot see all my HDD's [​IMG]

4- Select the drives you want to be part of the pool and click Create Pool. It's important to note that all the data currently on the drives will be erased during the process.

- from
    How to use Storage Spaces in Windows 10 | Windows Central
    That the drives need to be empty isn't really surprising- data written will be processed according to the way you have configured the storage space.

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  7. wileydog Win User
    Thanks, but I followed all those instructions a few days ago. I now remember, that all my drives had data on them, but only one showed up in the Storage Space list. Just like it says, when I selected the drive it erased all the data. But, I still have the original data on Disk2 and another external BU just to be sure.

wileydog, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Storage Space cannot see all my HDD's - Similar Threads - Storage Space cannot

2. I have reset my Windows 10 with a backup but cannot see my storage space anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have reset my Windows 10 with a backup but cannot see my storage space anymore: Please can I get some advice how to restore it? I saw a post where the commands -get-physicaldisk and reset-physicaldisk where used but I cant see any details on how to use them and I am not that technical to use unfamiliar commands though I have coppied and pasted into cmd...
  3. I have reset my Windows 10 with a backup but cannot see my storage space anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have reset my Windows 10 with a backup but cannot see my storage space anymore: Please can I get some advice how to restore it? I saw a post where the commands -get-physicaldisk and reset-physicaldisk where used but I cant see any details on how to use them and I am not that technical to use unfamiliar commands though I have coppied and pasted into cmd...
  4. I have reset my Windows 10 with a backup but cannot see my storage space anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Storage Spaces won't use all disk space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces won't use all disk space: I have allocated 5 drives 3x 4TB HDD, 2x 8TB HDD to my storage space and created a simple pool on it. No redundancy While total disk space is 25.4 TB 3.63*3 + 7.27*2 and I've allocated all of it to my pool my programs fails to write anything more to the pool.It says no space...
  6. Storage Spaces won't use all disk space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces won't use all disk space: I have allocated 5 drives 3x 4TB HDD, 2x 8TB HDD to my storage space and created a simple pool on it. No redundancy While total disk space is 25.4 TB 3.63*3 + 7.27*2 and I've allocated all of it to my pool my programs fails to write anything more to the pool.It says no space...
  7. Making the hdd main storage space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Making the hdd main storage space: I recently built a new pc, I have a 512 gb m.2 ssd, and a 2tb hdd. So my boot drive is the ssd. It contains all of the windows stuff. My question is, how do i safely transfer the folders like (Desktop, documents, downloads) into the hdd? And how do i make the contents save...
  8. Storage spaces and Samsung HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage spaces and Samsung HDD: I have just upgraded from win 7 to Win 10. With win 7 I had a RAID 10 setup with 3 Samsung HD drives and a single WD HDD. All drives are 1TB. I have installed a Samsung NVMA on the M/B and have installed the new OS on that, so I want to use the 4 HD drives as a storage...
  9. Cannot access Storage Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot access Storage Space: I've created a problem with Storage Spaces by changing the drive letter in Windows 10. This has caused a Storage Spaces error, and I can no longer see the Storage space in File Explorer. Disk Management shows the drive as unallocated. I now have the following situation. The...
  10. windows cannot see external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows cannot see external HDD: I can not see an external hard drive in file explorer. I can see it in device manager. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-cannot-see-external-hdd/7581ca1a-b81c-48f6-95d7-deabf29acb85

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 2019 storage spaces cannot see ssd