Windows 10: Storage space, does this look right to you?

Discus and support Storage space, does this look right to you? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So according to Windows, there's 225GB of my SSD consumed by apps. This is fairly recent, a couple of days ago I noticed the drive had filled up. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by windose, May 14, 2021.

1. windose Win User

Storage space, does this look right to you?

So according to Windows, there's 225GB of my SSD consumed by apps. This is fairly recent, a couple of days ago I noticed the drive had filled up. It used to be much emptier, but I can't remember exactly how empty or when, because the drive was so empty I never paid any attention to it. This is what I get when I list them, there are just 82, with the biggest at 1GB. If I tot up that lot, then allow 75MB each for the remainder I get a total of 8GB, so where's the other 217GB coming from? There are a few other apps whose size isn't specified for some reason, but I can't imagine these add up to all that: There are two thoughts going through my mind: Optane and spyware. Optane. I don't really know what it's supposed to do, but I've seen someone online griping that it wore out a brand new SSD in under a year, and it made me wonder if the 200GB is worn out disk space. The computer also gets into moods from time to time when the fan runs all day long and flattens the battery in half the normal time. I've seen comments blaming this on Optane, too. Spyware. I have an external HDD with a lot of very confidential information on it, and it runs non-stop whenever I plug it in. It also makes the computer fan run when none of my other HDDs do either. The information on the drive relates to a long running dispute that I have, so I'm suspicious that all this might be caused by spyware, but neither Malwarebytes nor McAfee are finding anything. Any thoughts, please?

:)

windose, May 14, 2021

2. Storage space

Hello Mick,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Are you getting any specific error messages when you try to delete the said files and folders?

Meanwhile, we recommend performing the steps in this article
    to help you free up drive space on your Windows 10 device.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, May 14, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Conflicting information on my Storage Space...

From disk management, it does report the same storage and used space as from explorer.
    May I ask did you try to create a storage pool or something ? if so, you should not mess with this.

Is this disk an external disk connected via USB ? WD or Seagate branch ?

I have the feeling that this disk is formatted with GPT type using 512K emulation so Windows get confused. To verify:

1. Right click on Disk 6 ->Properties->Volumes. What does it show on partition styles ? GPT ?
    2. Download Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free, install then run. What does it show on disk 7 ? MBR ?

If step 1 shows GPT and step 2 shows MBR then definitely the disk was formatted using 512K emulation. The reason they did this so that it would be recognized by WinXP or if you connect it to a TV.

Windows Updates failed is another problem you have. First, it tried to updates from 1703 -> 1709 and failed so any subsequent updates to 1803 also failed.

topgundcp, May 14, 2021
  4. Storage space, does this look right to you?

External Drive using storage spaces does not work on my new Win 10 PC?

Hi Leo,

Storage Spaces not only increase storage over time as you add drivers to your PC, it will also help you in protecting your data from drive failures. To isolate your concern, we'd like to know if you were getting any error messages when trying
    to connect the external drive to your new PC. Also, can you tell us what troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to perform a diagnostic process on your system that will check and fix issues related to Storage Spaces. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Type troubleshooting in the Search bar, then press
      Enter.
    • Click View all from the left pane.
    • Locate and click Hardware and Devices to run the troubleshooter then follow the next steps.

Furthermore, here is a link for more information about the Storage
    Spaces in Windows 10

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Eileen Gal, May 14, 2021
Thema:

Storage space, does this look right to you?

1. Storage space, does this look right to you? - Similar Threads - Storage space does

2. Storage is not reading space right

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage is not reading space right: I recently got a pc built and it is telling me now that the system is using 845GB. I checked this with tree size and it says that in all I am only using 118.7GB including two games on the pc...
  3. Does this look right to you?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does this look right to you?: I am about to replace a sata Win 10 hard drive (1Tb) with a 250Gb ssd The existing drive is a gpt setup even though its only 1tb. As I will be cloning the existing drive, this will mean that the ssd will be GPT. Is this best left the same or should I convert it later to NBR?...
  4. Storage Spaces does not show "Change" option

Storage Spaces does not show "Change" option: After my Storage pool filled up, I was able to successfully add new drives, but the new "pool capacity" which does reflect in "Storage Spaces" 38.1TB does not reflect in Windows Explorer still showing 14.5TB. After searching online, I learned that this is likely because...
  5. Manage Storage Spaces does not appear to work

Manage Storage Spaces does not appear to work: Storage Spaces appears to be non functional in 19041.388 version 2004. I have tried adding 5x 10tb drives formatted as ntfs gpt. I receive this error [ATTACH] So I deleted the ntfs partitions. Same error. Rebooted. Same error. Use disk part to clean the drives,...
  6. Why does storage space show incorrect used space?

Why does storage space show incorrect used space?: Storage Space is telling me I'm using 7.26 TB of 7.26 TB on Storage space E: but everything else is telling me I'm only using 1.66 to 1.7 TB. Below is a collage of various utilities reporting storage usage as well as the result of a CHKDSK command. Based on other guidance...
  7. Storage space

Storage space: I've been trying to install the newest update. However, it says I need more disk space. I've looked online and on the Microsoft website and deleted everything I can. There's nothing in downloads, temporary files, pictures, videos or anything that isn't needed for it to run...
  8. storage space

storage space: hi, I have a problem when I try to install an app in says storage full clear up some space. the problem is I don't want to delete any thing. so is there's a way to increase my storage play without deleting any thing ?...
  9. Storage Spaces

Storage Spaces: I have a 4-bay enclosure of 8TB drives (32TB total) set to parity using Storage spaces. I would suspect I would be able to get about 2/3 (66%) capacity or about 21TB after allowing for parity. However it's telling me that the total capacity is only 14TB. How does that make...
  10. Storage Space

Storage Space: [ATTACH]This may seem like a silly question but can someone please tell me if something is going here that needs any action? I am getting a notification that my laptop that’s linked with my microsoft account needs my attention. When I follow through with where it leads me...