Windows 10: Storage space for 1903 update

Discus and support Storage space for 1903 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Whilst trying to do the 1903 feature update on my Lenovo netbook (with 32GB SSD) I got a message telling me to connect external storage media. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jack#1, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Jack#1 Win User

Storage space for 1903 update

Whilst trying to do the 1903 feature update on my Lenovo netbook (with 32GB SSD) I got a message telling me to connect external storage media. I plugged in a 16GB USB stick, the download worked, and it got part way through the installation, but then I got this error https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4500988/windows-update-hold-for-windows-10 It seems like the update can't be installed with a USB drive connected, but I don't have enough storage space without one.

I've tried uninstalling apps, moving my files onto an external drive, and running the windows tool to free up storage space, but the most space I can get on the SSD is a few GB.

I also tried running the media creation tool to make an ISO file to upgrade from, but got an error saying that this requires 10GB of free space on the SSD.

In summary, I can't find a way to do the upgrade! Is there any way around this? Are Microsoft going to fix the USB drive installation error? The only thing I can think of at the moment is to borrow a friend's computer to make the ISO file, but I'm worried that even this will incur the same error.

:)

Jack#1, Jun 23, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Conflicting information on my Storage Space...

From disk management, it does report the same storage and used space as from explorer.
    May I ask did you try to create a storage pool or something ? if so, you should not mess with this.

Is this disk an external disk connected via USB ? WD or Seagate branch ?

I have the feeling that this disk is formatted with GPT type using 512K emulation so Windows get confused. To verify:

1. Right click on Disk 6 ->Properties->Volumes. What does it show on partition styles ? GPT ?
    2. Download Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free, install then run. What does it show on disk 7 ? MBR ?

If step 1 shows GPT and step 2 shows MBR then definitely the disk was formatted using 512K emulation. The reason they did this so that it would be recognized by WinXP or if you connect it to a TV.

Windows Updates failed is another problem you have. First, it tried to updates from 1703 -> 1709 and failed so any subsequent updates to 1803 also failed.

topgundcp, Jun 23, 2019
  3. 56Kruiser Win User
    Problem with Storage Space

Funny...on actually reading the title on that unrecognized status disk, it is titled Microsoft Storage Space. I was ust surprised to see it listed in the drive list.

56Kruiser, Jun 23, 2019
  4. Storage space for 1903 update

I have an HP Stream Laptop and I keep running out of storage space

Hi Jay,

If a category can't show the folders that it contains, there is a possibility that the folders are somehow hidden. To maximize your PC's storage, follow the suggested steps in these links:

If further help is needed, let us know.

Darleen Pen, Jun 23, 2019
Thema:

Storage space for 1903 update

1. Storage space for 1903 update - Similar Threads - Storage space 1903

2. Storage space for Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Storage space for Updates: For a while now, I've been getting a pop-up that says "Can't install updates. Select this message to fix" It then tells me there is insufficient space to complete updates with an icon to click to free up space. I have freed up every option to where it says 0% and it still...
  3. Storage space for Updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage space for Updates: For a while now, I've been getting a pop-up that says "Can't install updates. Select this message to fix" It then tells me there is insufficient space to complete updates with an icon to click to free up space. I have freed up every option to where it says 0% and it still...
  4. Storage space for Updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Storage Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Space: I have 119 GB of storage space on C Drive. The Storage tab on Settings tells me I have used 67 GB of that, yet when I add everything up it only comes to 24 GB. What is hiding on that missing 43GB?...
  6. Storage space

Storage space: I've been trying to install the newest update. However, it says I need more disk space. I've looked online and on the Microsoft website and deleted everything I can. There's nothing in downloads, temporary files, pictures, videos or anything that isn't needed for it to run...
  7. Windows 10 Feature Update Verion 1903 - Storage Space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Feature Update Verion 1903 - Storage Space: Hi there, looking for some advice please. Both my daughters have HP Stream laptops with somewhat pathetic HDD storage at just 32gb. The machines both run happily with the current Windows 10 version 1703 installed. They are however getting plagued with update notifications...
  8. storage space

storage space: hi, I have a problem when I try to install an app in says storage full clear up some space. the problem is I don't want to delete any thing. so is there's a way to increase my storage play without deleting any thing ?...
  9. Storage Spaces

Storage Spaces: I have a 4-bay enclosure of 8TB drives (32TB total) set to parity using Storage spaces. I would suspect I would be able to get about 2/3 (66%) capacity or about 21TB after allowing for parity. However it's telling me that the total capacity is only 14TB. How does that make...
  10. Storage Space

Storage Space: [ATTACH]This may seem like a silly question but can someone please tell me if something is going here that needs any action? I am getting a notification that my laptop that’s linked with my microsoft account needs my attention. When I follow through with where it leads me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can space of secondary drive be used for windows update 1903