Windows 10: Storage Space reports error, data are inaccessible

Discus and support Storage Space reports error, data are inaccessible in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I'm dealing with an odd issue I have with Storage Spaces. I have been using it for a while now on two machines without major issue, until today.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ondřej Mašita, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Storage Space reports error, data are inaccessible

Hello, I'm dealing with an odd issue I have with Storage Spaces. I have been using it for a while now on two machines without major issue, until today. The machine in question has:

Storage Pool:

Storage Space reports error, data are inaccessible [​IMG]

Virtual Disk notice the Unhealthy status:

And the drives themselves:

FASTPARITY1 is a disk with Bitlocker enabled and automount off. Whenever the PC is started and user wants to access data, they are prompted for Bitlocker password.

FASTPARITY2 is a disk without any encryption. It is formatted with NTFS and is available after logging into Windows.

What have I done that has caused this:

Due to some hardware upgrading today, I have done the following: I have unplugged all physical discs from PC1 where everything worked and PC1 was properly shut down like always and connected them to PC2. I knew from before that this works and Storage Spaces on PC2 should pick everything up automatically. I have noticed that virtual disk FASTPARITY2 was immediately recognized by PC2's Storage Spaces, while the FASTPARITY1 was not. I went into Storage Spaces UI and this popped up:

When I scroll down to physical drives section, there is no issue:

When I try to manually connect the detached virtual disk, I am greeted with strange error:

I thought to myself: "OK, there's something wrong here, let's plug them back to PC1 where it all worked 5 minutes ago." But situation at PC1 is identical, same errors, same issues. The Storage Space seems fine reports healthy, but the bitlocker-encrypted virtual disk reports unhealthy status and cannot be accessed.

The data is mostly backed up elsewhere, but some would still be lost if I can't recover from this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

:)

Ondřej Mašita, Apr 15, 2020
  2. Sam___ Win User

Windows Storage Spaces "Inaccessible due to timeout error"

Apart from what C#S has suggested, I would recommend checking the drives using Crystal Disk Info to see whether SMART is reporting any issues with them. If they are fine try cleaning and then deleting the partitions using 'DISKPART'. That should do the trick.

-Sam

Sam___, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Windows Storage Spaces "Inaccessible due to timeout error"

I recently built a computer with a 120gb boot drive (SSD) and am trying to configure two 1TB HDDs into a RAID array. Doing so in the BIOS yields a "degraded" error. I tried Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) to no avail. Now I am trying to set it up
    in Windows Storage Spaces by creating a two-way mirror storage pool. When creating, it says "Error, inaccessible due to timeout." The individual physical drives are listed as "OK" while the pooled storage space shows the error. I can't find any information
    about how to solve this error. Please help.

KimblerFogleman, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Storage Space reports error, data are inaccessible

Any way to downgrade ver. of MS Storage spaces volume w/o data loss?

1. Install Windows 1607 & 1709 dual boot system
    2. Connect two free disks
    3. Boot into 1607
    4. Create storage pool, assign two free disks, create two-way mirror volume
    5. Copy data to new volume
    6. Reboot into 1709
    7. Upgrade your Storage Space pool to gain new features as MS suggests
    8. Reboot into 1607
    9. Your Storage Space configuration looks now as in the picture, volume is inaccessible
    10. Notice that doing step 7 was not the smartest idea, data are now accessible only from Windows 1709.

Question: Is it possible to simply revert Storage Spaces metadata back to version 1607? Answer: No. It is necessary to backup data, destroy upgraded pool, create new pool & mirror in Windows 1607, and restore data.

Is it so hard to understand what necros asks for?

muchomurka, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

Storage Space reports error, data are inaccessible

1. Storage Space reports error, data are inaccessible - Similar Threads - Storage Space reports

2. Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason: I've been using my Windows storage space for a year or so with no problems at all, but recently I've noticed folders and files are disappearing. Currently running build 19042.985 Checked all of the storage space info, all 4 drives are still are still marked as OK, and it...
  3. Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason: I've been using my Windows storage space for a year or so with no problems at all, but recently I've noticed folders and files are disappearing. Currently running build 19042.985 Checked all of the storage space info, all 4 drives are still are still marked as OK, and it...
  4. Storage spaces Mirrored drives inaccessable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Storage spaces Mirrored drives inaccessable: I have two 8GB drives in a mirrored storage space. It was working fine but now the storage space is inaccessible and is not visible when I go into 'Disk Management'. When I go into 'Manage Storage Spaces' it shows an error on one drive and says "Error, consider replacing"....
  5. Creating Storage Space Without Losing Data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating Storage Space Without Losing Data: Hey Everyone, I have a separate SSD (from my C: drive) with all of my PC games on it that is running out of space. I was thinking of expanding to a larger SSD, but instead of replacing it, I wanted to add another SSD and then combine the newer and older drives, similar to a...
  6. Storage Spaces Upgrade Error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces Upgrade Error: I had a storage pool consisting of 4 drives that were in parity. While using Windows 10 on the 1909 update, I clicked to "upgrade pool" and it caused the storage pool to create an error that rendered the pool unrecognizable. Now the drives only show up as "Healthy Storage...
  7. Storage Spaces Error/issue

Storage Spaces Error/issue: Windows 10 Enterprise Ver 2004 I have created a parity storage space with 4x 4TB SATA Drives. (D: drive) Formatted REFS Windows said the parity space is 9.67 TB using 14.1 TB pool capacity. That was fine by me as the D: reflected this. [img] I have around 3TB of data on...
  8. Storage Spaces Error/issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Storage Spaces Error/issue: Windows 10 Enterprise Ver 2004 I have created a parity storage space with 4x 4TB SATA Drives. (D: drive) Formatted REFS Windows said the parity space is 9.67 TB using 14.1 TB pool capacity. That was fine by me as the D: reflected this. [img] I have around 3TB of data on...
  9. Out of data Storage Space on Minecraft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Out of data Storage Space on Minecraft: When loading into one of my worlds, i can play for about 10 seconds and then I am kicked out and a screen appears, saying "you are out of data storage space and mine craft is unable to save your progress!". However, my hard drive still has over 850 GB of space on it. The...
  10. HELP--Storage Space Drive Suddenly Missing, Files Inaccessible

HELP--Storage Space Drive Suddenly Missing, Files Inaccessible: TL:DNR - The issue: A 2-disk mirrored Storage Space is suddenly missing from explorer, “get-disk” and disk manager; so I cannot access 2.5TB of incredibly important files. The disks still show in storage space management, “get-physicaldisk” and “get-storagepool”. The system:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. storage space error