Windows 10: Storage Space - Simple Resiliency Volume corrupted by Windows 10 2004 update

Discus and support Storage Space - Simple Resiliency Volume corrupted by Windows 10 2004 update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear Community, I recently updated my Windows 10 Enterprise to version 2004 build 19041.329. Since then, my storage space volume is broken my volume... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by {DoctorZoidberg}, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Storage Space - Simple Resiliency Volume corrupted by Windows 10 2004 update

Dear Community,

I recently updated my Windows 10 Enterprise to version 2004 build 19041.329. Since then, my storage space volume is broken my volume is unreadable and displayed as RAW.

This problem has been reported here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4568129/issue-with-some-storage-spaces-configurations-after-updating-to-window . Interestingly, this was also reported 9 months ago as stated here: https://mspoweruser.com/the-windows-10-may-2020-update-may-be-causing-major-hard-drive-management-issues/

Please note my physical drive are ok 4 * 1 TB SSD and there is nothing wrong with hardware.

Fun fact: I was using ReFS. Resiliency File System...

Since then, no fix has been provided and I don't even know if my data could be recovered or not. I have tested the steps provided in the MS support page but it didn't help or made my RAW volume readable.

Please, do not lesson me about backup; the data on that volume is not essential and I can accept to loose it. But what I can't accept is that I might loose my data because of Windows Update and a bug that was not fixed.

Honestly, I still can't believe something like RAID reliability could have been overlooked. How is it possible to not ensure everything is perfectly working when it's related to RAID? And worse, I saw on the MS support page that this bug also affected Windows Server !!! I wonder how my fellow sysadmins reacted when they realized their data drive was corrupted.

Could anyone from Microsoft provides me help about this issue as no official working fix has been given yet? Has anyone else experienced this bug?

Any help or information that could help me is welcome!

Many thanks in advance!

:)

{DoctorZoidberg}, Jun 30, 2020

2. 1 disk in 3 disk Simple Storage Space failed

Hi,

When you create a simple storage space, it will write data in a stripe across physical disks (in your case, 3 disks) without any extra copies or parity information. This type of storage space will not offer resiliency or data protection. Data corruption
    and data loss will occur when one of these drives fails.

Since simple space, or simple layout does not provide any data protection, it is best suited for use on files with backups, or users who are okay with losing or recreating the data if a disk fails.

You may still be able to recover your data using any third-party recovery tools but data integrity is not guaranteed.

We encourage you to check these articles for more information on Storage Spaces:

Feel free to ask the community should you have further questions. However, for more in-depth support regarding Storage Spaces, it is best to ask this on
    TechNet as this subject is beyond the scope of this forum.

Meliton Dec, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Windows Storage Spaces - Preparing for removal stuck at 0,05%

i found one solution in technet:

"I created a new mirrored volume in storage spaces and transferred all files from the old volume to the new volume. SS transferred everything over to the new volume except 2 corrupt files that remained in the old volume. My 2 corrupt files were from a Simple
    volume I had created. I deleted those corrupt files. Then I was able to remove the stuck drive off the system and SS continued to run normally."

here is the link:

Storage Spaces - Reduced Resiliency - No Physical Drives showing failure

Hope it helps you.

Pradeep Trout, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Storage Space - Simple Resiliency Volume corrupted by Windows 10 2004 update

Creating storage spaces using 2 drives

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to create storage spaces on your workstation using two drivers.

I would suggest you to refer the section Should I create a simple, mirror, or parity space? in the article

Storage Spaces in Windows 10
    . Also, for more information you can refer the article

Virtualizing storage for scale, resiliency, and efficiency

However, as the query is related to creating storage spaces on workstation, I would suggest you to post your query on

TechNet forums
    , where they provide dedicated support and information on creating storage spaces on the PC.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Storage Space - Simple Resiliency Volume corrupted by Windows 10 2004 update

1. Storage Space - Simple Resiliency Volume corrupted by Windows 10 2004 update - Similar Threads - Storage Space Simple

2. Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...: I have a Simple no resiliency storage space with 2 HDD 2 x 14TB. I want to add a 3rd drive to increase pool space, but I'm a little confused about how that will work.The storage space currently has 2 columns one for each physical disk and I know that cannot be changed without...
  3. Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...: I have a Simple no resiliency storage space with 2 HDD 2 x 14TB. I want to add a 3rd drive to increase pool space, but I'm a little confused about how that will work.The storage space currently has 2 columns one for each physical disk and I know that cannot be changed without...
  4. Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Storage spaces without resilience, What's lost in a crash?

in Windows 10 Support
    Storage spaces without resilience, What's lost in a crash?: If you create for example 3x4tb Storage spaces, and one drive crashes, will you lose everything, or just that's on just that drive? Is the system filling up drive 1, then drive 2 or how is it working? The reason I'm wondering is because I got a large usb harddisk, that I...
  6. Windows 10 2004 bugs: Here's Microsoft's workaround for Storage Spaces file corruption

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 2004 bugs: Here's Microsoft's workaround for Storage Spaces file corruption: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/dirk414 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hklgpb/windows_10_2004_bugs_heres_microsofts_workaround/
  7. Windows 10 2004 glitch: Microsoft admits bug breaks Storage Spaces, corrupts files

Windows 10 2004 glitch: Microsoft admits bug breaks Storage Spaces, corrupts files: submitted by /u/-protonsandneutrons- [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hbdha7/windows_10_2004_glitch_microsoft_admits_bug/
  8. PSA: Windows 2004 may be corrupting parity storage spaces drives

PSA: Windows 2004 may be corrupting parity storage spaces drives: Ever since updating to 2004 I have been experiencing severe corruption & chkdsk errors on my parity drives (and only parity) in storage spaces. (See any of my recent post history) I managed to reproduce the corruption on a new pool, with a new set of disks, with a new set of...
  9. Storage Space shows "reduced resiliency" warning, build 14393

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Space shows "reduced resiliency" warning, build 14393: (Dell XPS 8500, 24GB, 1GB mSata system drive, two Toshiba USB3.0 attached hard drives) I have a storage space set up on my Windows 1607 primary computer. (Storage Spaces is a feature of Windows 8.1 and later and Server 2012 and later.) It is set up with a normal pair of...
  10. Recovery Key "incorrect", Storage Spaces Reduced Resiliency, Disk Full

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Key "incorrect", Storage Spaces Reduced Resiliency, Disk Full: Please please please someone help. This problem is getting out of hand. I've posted about this problem, but the posts are getting moved to different threads and no one is replying. So here it all is form the beginning as simply as I can put it. Not too long ago, I added...